Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 20-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Newfreedom9

Christians anonymous

This is a thread for everyone who is escaping Christianity or religion. It's not easy to emerge from something you've been taught all your life. This is a continuation of something that was started in the "I'm a Christian" thread. But if you haven't read it, here's a bit about my background.

I accepted Jesus into my heart at a young age and grew up in church and christian school. I always felt like, there must be more to it then this. So when I was about 18 I stopped watching tv and listening to "secular" music. Pretty much all I did in my spare time was read my Bible and play songs I wrote for God on my guitar. I was a totally obsessed Jesus Freak lol. I felt a higher power loving people through me. Over time I started seeing evidence that the bible was totally misinterpreted. I saw people of other religions in a whole new light. I knew when I saw a monk who was more full of love and humility then anyone I'd ever met, that I didn't have all the answers. And there was even more to "it" then I had been taught. I guess you can say I've never been satisfied taking someone else's words for things. I want it to make sense, and I want to experience it. Now I see that as a "christian" I lived in so much fear, that I am now set free from.

Feel free to post about your background, thoughts about leaving a religion, or experiences here. Most of all if you're leaving religion, I want you to know you're not alone.
Old 20-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Newfreedom9

The hardest thing about leaving for me, was that everyone I knew were Christians. My homeschool group, everyone on the christian-mommies forum. And more importantly, my parents and sisters, my in-laws and friends. And these were people that I saw every single week, and we were the best of friends. I knew when I told them I wasn't really a Christian anymore nothing would be the same. And it's not. I finally understood what Jesus was talking about seeking God with all your heart, and even being willing to leave your family to do it. I needed space to figure out who I was, which meant being alone for a while, where I wasn't going to be condemned by anyone, or coerced to join back in. (Luckily my husband was going through the same thing. My son and him were my whole world for months.)

Unfortunately, at the same time I was going through this, one of my little sisters was going through a divorce. I offered her some advice, but of course it didn't mean much coming from a "Back-sliden christian" (which is an ironic term considering that I wasn't going to a place I had ever been before, but rather growing.) I couldn't be there for her the way I wanted to be, because every time I was around her, it brought me down, I was judged, and it just wasn't beneficial.

Now I see them, and nothing is the same at all. I love them so much, and I always will, but I can tell they felt abandoned by my absence. I know I did the right thing though, so I don't feel bad about any of it. It's just kinda hard to start from scratch. And if there are any like minded people that live around me I haven't found them yet.
Old 20-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfreedom9
Now I see them, and nothing is the same at all. I love them so much, and I always will, but I can tell they felt abandoned by my absence. I know I did the right thing though, so I don't feel bad about any of it. It's just kinda hard to start from scratch. And if there are any like minded people that live around me I haven't found them yet.
Great thread! When I first got out of the fundamentalism I wanted to find like minded people too and there were some on the internet. When I was in it, there was the outside world and our little Christian world that we saw as separate. It's weird that we would see ourselves as separate and different in our minds. That people on the outside didn't understand and God was in our lives and not theres. We'd hear stories of Christians in far off lands getting persecuted, and assumed that the world hated us too because we know Jesus.

We were not separate from the world, we were very much a part of it. But we didn't see things that way. If someone would have told us that we would have thought they have no idea what they're talking about. Our world was really in our minds, we were blinded to the fact that were just like everyone else, and couldn't see we were just crazy Jesus freaks that thought our group was special. The world didn't hate us, when they got mad it because of the way we acted. People don't like to be talked down to. It's belittling and demoralizing, extremely rude and subtly aggresive. When one group is so sure they're above everyone else, it comes out in their speech, body language, and even appearance. We treated people like they needed what we had, but we had no idea what they needed. We just assmed they were sinners needing our Jesus. We didn't udnerstand that we were bigoted, delusional snobs.. we just thought we were full of the love of Jesus for the poor lost sinners. LOL

Now I see everyone as equal. Christians are people just like everyone else, struggling to find their way through life.
Old 20-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Newfreedom9

Yes, I totally agree, people are people. So simple. I'm curious, did you have to leave your family and friends too? Were you completely surrounded by Christians, and what started it all for you? How did you escape?
Old 20-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Master

Quote:
Yes, I totally agree, people are people. So simple. I'm curious, did you have to leave your family and friends too? Were you completely surrounded by Christians, and what started it all for you? How did you escape?
No I didn't have to leave my family because they never became fundamentalists like I did. I wasn't completely surrounded by Christians because I went to school, but all my friends were Christians and I only hung out with Christians. When I started thinking for myself, my 'friends' didn't want to have anything to do with me anymore. I remember them saying how hurt they were that I didn't believe like them anymore. It's sad that they would be hurt by something like that, instead of being hurt by how much pain they were causing. Of course, they didn't think about that.

I'm not sure what started it, like I said before I saw alot of what goes on in churches and I guess it got to be so much that I started to trust my feelings inside. I escaped by fighting to trust what I felt inside and allowing myself to think. For awhile I discussed my feelings on the internet and that helped. I had a lot of fear that I was making a deadly mistake, but I pushed through the fear with everything I had. Then eventually the fear went away. I remember distinctly one night, towards the end of the struggle, I faced the fear and it was terrifying like facing death. But I faced it, and then it went it away.
Old 20-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Newfreedom9

Yeah, there were a lot of fears I had to work through too. I know what you mean about it being kinda like facing death. Not just the fear of hell, but about other stuff too. Like my fear of ghosts, demons and aliens. Some people might not even think this stuff exists, but I've seen at least some evidence that something/being exists that we can't see. Some of that I worked through in dreams (and lucid dreams). Some of it was a decision. Oh and my fear of what other people thought might have been one of the strongest ones. That is one I've bout conquered but still struggle with at times.

Thinking for yourself is totally key. It was like a lost art for me. In fact I realize now, that I barely had any opinions that were mine before. It was all stuff I'd been taught. How sad is that?

I had a very low opinion of myself too. What with being taught I was a worthless sinner all my life, whose heart was wicked above all things. Gosh scripture can really be twisted to encourage you to beat yourself and others to a pulp.
Old 21-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Ha! You told them?
I still have my Christians friends, bec I would NEVER tell them, lol.

They are too embedded in there beliefs, God bless 'em.
They would feel sorry for me...it would not advance them...I would have no
good motive to shake their world.

They always knew I didn't like crowds, thus church. They didn't care.

But, tell them Jesus did not die for my sins and blood sacrifice was a
Primitive, made up, nutty thing?
That what is being taught....for centuries is not true...the Bible has been tampered with?
Ha, no way...I still follow Jesus' instructions...so I never told them anything.
I sure don't bring up anything about Krishna or Guru Nanak, Kabir, Hafiz,
Paramahansa Yogananda...I come here for that.

Just how I did it...hope all turns out ok. Much love.

Oh loved...we were bigoted,,, delusional---****....tell them there is no "sin" or
Hell?...Yeah, right!!!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 20-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Master
I was glad to get out of the church also, when I left they started to pray for me, they breed guilt in the church to keep the people there, while their all huddled together their happy, but when someone thinks for themselves they become confused and cannot understand anyone doing so, I told them not to pray for me, I'm happier than I have ever been, pray for yourselves, you are the ones who need it, you are the ones who believe you crusified Jesus, I will have no part of your guilt trip, its all yours.
Old 21-10-2012, 02:14 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
I'm happier than I have ever been, pray for yourselves, you are the ones who need it
I think when people are praying and saying positive things about you in the prayer, I would say it's good, but not when they're doing it to try to change me to their beliefs. I think it's pretty rude.
Old 21-10-2012, 02:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
I think when people are praying and saying positive things about you in the prayer, I would say it's good, but not when they're doing it to try to change me to their beliefs. I think it's pretty rude.
Yes I agree, and that is what I meant, its just so arrogant, they think they know all the answers, when in fact they really know nothing.