Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 29-08-2011, 07:29 PM
SerpentQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by moke64916
If you manipulate people's emotions with an alternative motive, then yes you would be a sociopath.

Well, geez, I am in marketing and I get paid to manipulate people's emotions so they buy something. I guess that makes me a sociopath!
Old 29-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Docha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire7
Yes to all... although not to an extreme. I mostly have problems focussing, which is why I have also wondered if I am ADHD.

I have more trouble not eating

I do get intense social anxiety, but have never had an anxiety attack, to my knowledge.

I am always fiddling something or biting my nails to the meat, which could point back to the ADHD.

And I used to often beat up on my lil bro and sis when I was younger

Well an alternative route is to look into spiritual awakening symptoms.

This change in habits if it came on all of a sudden, may be due to that. Many people who are going through it, assume they are going crazy, and start looking for psychological disorders to explain what they are feeling, thinking etc.

The only reason why would nudge you in that direction, is that one of the things that happens because of it - is a sudden introspection period in which one tries to define themselves.

It sounds like you are about the right "age" to be going through one, it seems I was told that if one hits it will usually hit around the 30's ...though I am not ready to say it's an exact science in that regard, if you identify with awakening symptoms, then it may pass in some time as well.

Most of these things you are looking up, won't fit because to be classified as such - one would not be aware they have these issues. Self assessment is one thing that would rule out most.

I have had issues focusing throughout my life and I am not ADHD - though i have wondered a time or dozen if I may be. As I can't sit still for an extended period of time...etc. however I have learned to deal with it, so getting "diagnosed" doesn't seem to be appropriate.

Counseling would help, with much of the issues you would like to work through and get past. Awakening or not, but to label yourself in such ways, may actually hurt more than help.

The fact that you're even here - says to me and seemingly many others - that you probably aren't crazy.

If upon researching the information and you feel it doesn't fit, and the other things still may. Then seek a professional before you jump to conclusions. No one here can possible confirm or help you with such things.

We can encourage and support, but that is all we can do.

(p.s. my brother and I beat each other up all the time...lol my girls have come to blows too...while it isn't optimal, it's a pretty normal among siblings)

You can read up on anger management for tips and tricks how to deal with it, if you feel it's out of control.

Hope I gave you another avenue to check out, that may help.
Old 29-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Fire7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie
It’s really awful that your mother said you were a sociopath after your telling her you were gay. This is her prejudice showing. She may have never known anyone who is gay or lesbian. There are countless gays & lesbians who have moved past family disapproval.

Being gay is ➙➙➙ NOT, NOT, NOT ↵↵↵ sociopathic. I don't care who says it.

EFT is a powerful energy medicine technique that combines tapping on energy meridians w/ positive affirmations.

The free information in the below link is more than sufficient.

http://www.eftuniverse.com/index.php...11&It emid=14

Actually, my mother is very kind to homosexual people. She works around them. she works for the health department as a counselor, and does STD tests and classes. She grew up with them. And check this out; she used to be one herself.

where her kindness ends is where her religion begins. She is a minister, and says that when god "delivered" her from that "spirit," he put in her a hatred and disgust for the "lifestyle." I hear many "Ex-homosexuals" say this...that once they connected with God, they received His desires, as well as dislikes...hence my ex-friend who snapped on me (desribed in my "It Hurts so much" thread). My mother has come home many-a-times frustrated with her job, because she can't preach in her classes like she wants to. She knows how to treat people and be polite, but she does not agree with the "sin."

I didn't actually come out to her. I knew better than that. Someone outed me to her. It was actually a letter they found and gave to her... which lead her to the conclusion that I was being "sneaky."

Thanks for the info
Old 29-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Fire7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentQueen
I think you need to back away from the DSM!

Seriously, if you want to apply labels in your understanding of your self, try Keirsey's Please Understand Me II instead. Labeling oneself from the DSM (sociopath, narcissist, sexual addict) is damaging. Be kinder to yourself. You are like all humans -- complicated but beautiful in your complexity.

It's okay to be different. You didn't come from a cookie cutter mold; none of us did. The very fact you are even *asking* these questions tells me that deep down there is a caring, sensitive soul.

Yes, sociopaths do exist, but they do not ask these questions. They just don't.

What is DSM?
Old 29-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Topology

Quote:
What is DSM?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagnos...al_Disord ers
Old 29-08-2011, 10:04 PM
OceanWaves19161

It's the American psychological diagnostic tool that psychologists and psychiatrists around the world use when diagnosing someone with mental illness. People have to show all the listed traits/symptoms before a psychologist will label them with a mental illness because it can lead to stigmatisation etc
Old 30-08-2011, 01:33 AM
I know alot about narcissism - Arive nan said it clearly, imo.
If you are a narcisist - no, it is incurable (according to the doctors).

You can learn to pretend to care if it is someone's birthday - thus get along in society. Narcissists can be great adapters.

I sent your post to a friend of mine I hope she gets back with comments.

Narcissists, bless their hearts, had early trauma - the synapses just did not grow the way they should - example - if one cried because they were hungry, but instead got slapped --- that synapse - normal in human development -did not make the connection.

The bridge didn't get washed out - there was and will never be a bridge - make sense?

You might be different from others - doesn't mean you are a narcissist - I'd drop the ''sociopath'' thinking - just drop that one.

Wishing you well,

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 30-08-2011, 02:00 AM
SerpentQueen

Quote:
Actually, my mother is very kind to homosexual people. She works around them. she works for the health department as a counselor, and does STD tests and classes. She grew up with them. And check this out; she used to be one herself.

where her kindness ends is where her religion begins. She is a minister, and says that when god "delivered" her from that "spirit," he put in her a hatred and disgust for the "lifestyle." I hear many "Ex-homosexuals" say this...that once they connected with God, they received His desires, as well as dislikes...hence my ex-friend who snapped on me (desribed in my "It Hurts so much" thread). My mother has come home many-a-times frustrated with her job, because she can't preach in her classes like she wants to. She knows how to treat people and be polite, but she does not agree with the "sin."

I didn't actually come out to her. I knew better than that. Someone outed me to her. It was actually a letter they found and gave to her... which lead her to the conclusion that I was being "sneaky."

Thanks for the info

I really want to say just the right thing to you, but I'm afraid I will not do it justice. Please forgive me if I don't.

There is science these days that points fairly clearly to the idea that female sexuality is much different than male. In that, female sexuality is far more plastic.

You probably already know about the Kinsey spectrum of sexuality-- few people are either gay, or straight. It's a spectrum and some are on one end -- 100% straight-- others are 100% gay. And some are smack dab in the middle, and bi. The rest fall somewhere on the continuum.

The latest research says that it's not quite like that, and there are gender differences, in that female sexuality is plastic. Which means it is flexible and can change throughout a lifetime, depending on circumstances -- it's about the WHO more than the particular body parts.

What I'm saying here is that your mom cannot compare your situation to her own. It very well may be that your mom really did go from gay to straight. Because her sexuality is much more plastic than yours is.

I tell you that (and can give references if you need them or want them) not for her sake, but for yours. Because I am a mom myself, and maybe this tidbit will help bring her around, but there is way more going on here than your sexuality OR her religion. I do sense you already know that. I can sense you are intelligent and sensitive and deep of heart... which is why what she says hurts. It'd hurt from anyone -- it hurts more when it comes from mom.

I'd like to personally kick your mom in the butt, but I also have sympathy for her. Not because you are gay, heavens no!! But because I can see what is going on under all that...

Mom's are natural worry-warts. They really, truly want the best for you. She's got the "sin" factor and that you might be able to combat, but it's a huge wearisome battle because you obviously want to respect her beliefs -- since you want her to respect yours, right?

That isn't the biggest issue here. Nope. Your mom is STD counselor and so she is gripped with fear that you may be putting yourself into higher risk category, by nature of your sexual orientation. Rational or not. It's not rational because I suspect you are smart enough to practice safe sex, seeing as who raised you. But still, it's understandable --even if irrational -- that she's going to worry. Trust me, I have this irrational fear my daughter won't cover herself enough with blankets at night in her dorm and freeze. It really is the same, even if it doesn't SOUND the same. If you can find away to meet your mother on this one, it may allay her fears.

But then there's the deepest fear that ALL parents have... and that's the fear that our children will have to endure what WE went through. We totally want to protect our kids from that. THIS is very big factor for your mom, I am guessing....... because she went through her own period of homosexuality.

Perhaps you can find away to meet her that is totally aside from the "sin" issue and addresses her fear that you will not find love, because you are different. Because I am guessing that is where your mother's fear lies. She is worrying you will not find love and fulfillment. It's not about sin, or even sex. It's about love. And based on your own posts, that is what deep down you want too.

I don't think I've done this justice. I really just want to give you hugs, tell you that you are OKAY, you are perfect just the way you are, and so is your mom. Even if I'd never tell my kid the things your mom said... a part of me "gets" where she is coming from.. the part that sees it has very little to do with sexual orientation.

I hope this helps.
Old 30-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Blaze

Quote:
I'm probably being more transparent than most people would ever be, but I have become increasingly concerned about myself... as I have gotten older and learned some things about human nature and psychology.

I'm not a psychologist, but from the things I have studied about behavior patterns, I seem to fit right into the sociopathic category... in reflecting back on my life and my own behavior. And I'm not being sarcastic or funny, but this is very real. My own mother once told me that I have just the personality of a psychopath. That may sound shocking to you, but she wasn't being mean and I knew why she was saying it.

I have always been a very introverted person, to the point that I didn't even realize how I came of to people. I didn't think I was THAT quiet, but people have always asked me why I'm so quiet. To me, I just feel like I have nothing to say. But it's like everyone I come in contact with asks me the same thing. And this has been throughout my whole life: I'm 29 now. I've even been asked several times, "What's wrong with you? (accompanied by a disgusted look, of course), or I will hear people whispering it to someone else, or it will get back to me somehow that people were saying I'm "weird."

I have always been one to drift off into a fantasy world of my own. There are other things that I won't go into...

I'm now reading this book on Narcissistic Personality Disorder, titled "The Wizard of Oz And Other Narcissists." And I'm only a few pages in, but I've already seen many of my own character attributes within it.

It terrified me at one point. And for a long time, I have hated myself, wondering why I had to be born this way, or what happened to me to make me this way. I honestly don't understand "What's wrong with me." But there seems to be little help for people like myself who want to be free of the narcissist within. I have looked up and down for books on the subject (because it's not like I can go to someone and tell them I think I'm a sociopath), but they always seem to be demonizing the narcissist (rightfully so) or showing people how to respond to one. It makes me wonder, is there any hope for a narcissist? Serious question. Is narcissism something I can overcome? If so, how?
Don't bother yourself with Psychology. Most of it is just a pile of...

And don't think Gods write psychology. Humans do.
Old 30-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Topology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze
Don't bother yourself with Psychology. Most of it is just a pile of...

And don't think Gods write psychology. Humans do.

If you're referring to the field of academic and clinical psychology, I agree with you, that can be ignored (but going to see counselors to get a listening ear helps a lot).

However, understanding your own psychology, your own personality and your own hang ups is very important for understanding yourself.