Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 31-12-2010, 01:22 PM
glenos

Me neither but it was worth a go!
Old 31-12-2010, 01:24 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenos
Me neither but it was worth a go!

Old 31-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Darkest-Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Bear
If I understand you correctly, your asking what you would call someone who got the information that a mediums does but from the living and not the dead?

If that is correct you wouldnt be able to.

The reading from, the living is psychic or intuitive by reading the aura, senseing something etc., so you would be able to tell them about their past, present and potential future. You wouldnt be talking to anyone but gaining information from your senses.

The medium would be getting the information from a dead person, so would be able to give the information about that dead person, their life etc, but also about the recipients life. They may (if the law and moral code permitted) give them details about their future which is given from the dead person.

So basically the difference is - psychic = gives details of the living person only, while the medium can give details about living and the dead.

Heres the confusing thing, mediums can be psychic but not all psychics are mediumistic.

Cool enough for me
Old 31-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Experiencer
I have been told that it is possible to communicate with the higher self of a living person the way one would communicate with someone in spirit, and if this is the case then it would be possible for a medium to chat with the living and acquire information just as they would with those who have passed over. This doesn't fit the generally held idea of what mediumship is so I suppose it would come somewhere under the "psychic" umbrella or be a form of telepathy, though technically speaking, the skills used are probably the same.

I'm saddened by the idea of people performing fraudulent mediumship. Often people who seek comfort through a medium are vulnerable or grieving and such a person would have to be callous. It's difficult to reconcile the idea in my head - generally people with psychic abilities are more spiritually advanced than others and therefore more inclined to do good, so the concept of an "evil psychic" is an odd one. Having said that, I suspect that a lot of mediums accidentally use their intuitive or psychic abilities when giving readings. It's not always easy to understand where the information is coming from.

As to the topic, I suppose I see a medium as a translator - one foot in the spirit world and one foot in the physical. What they do with that skill to translate, and how they do it, might vary a great deal.
Old 31-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Darkest-Messiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westleigh
I have been told that it is possible to communicate with the higher self of a living person the way one would communicate with someone in spirit, and if this is the case then it would be possible for a medium to chat with the living and acquire information just as they would with those who have passed over. This doesn't fit the generally held idea of what mediumship is so I suppose it would come somewhere under the "psychic" umbrella or be a form of telepathy, though technically speaking, the skills used are probably the same.

I'm saddened by the idea of people performing fraudulent mediumship. Often people who seek comfort through a medium are vulnerable or grieving and such a person would have to be callous. It's difficult to reconcile the idea in my head - generally people with psychic abilities are more spiritually advanced than others and therefore more inclined to do good, so the concept of an "evil psychic" is an odd one. Having said that, I suspect that a lot of mediums accidentally use their intuitive or psychic abilities when giving readings. It's not always easy to understand where the information is coming from.

As to the topic, I suppose I see a medium as a translator - one foot in the spirit world and one foot in the physical. What they do with that skill to translate, and how they do it, might vary a great deal.

From what it feels like...I have to agree closer with this than with simple psychichood (not that psychic is simple at all). I was actually speaking of reading for one not in front of you, by the voice of another far away living spirit.....def always known when they were living and when not

Thanks
Old 01-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Master
Hi all

where are we up too..if off target please tell me.

A person can commune with living to .. as well as deceased. Also a tad of what the ancients call magic can occur .. that is factual.
Soul or energy is energy .. matter does not die but changes format.
So what is it when one sends out a thought form imagery to another on same level and they turn up and deliver the thought form imagery and turn it into reality .. is that being a medium?
What umbrella does that fall under in words please?.

Thank God its not the medi-evil times .. I hate it too hot lol
:)
Old 01-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Master
mediumship as in any spiritual work takes respondsabilities as if not disciplined in areas of mind etc and relay wrong information (FRom Look at me principle I am so so good) to another there is a karmic kick back . ( in my view).
It is a discipline and does require great care for self and others.
One does not need a circle of people but does require light.

:)

Loves yah all
Xo
Old 01-01-2011, 03:23 PM
mac

"I have been told that it is possible to communicate with the higher self of a living person the way one would communicate with someone in spirit, and if this is the case then it would be possible for a medium to chat with the living and acquire information just as they would with those who have passed over."

hmmm....
This 'higher self' issue is another which for me is not adequately defined. All too easy to claim but where is the evidence?

"I'm saddened by the idea of people performing fraudulent mediumship. Often people who seek comfort through a medium are vulnerable or grieving and such a person would have to be callous. It's difficult to reconcile the idea in my head - generally people with psychic abilities are more spiritually advanced than others and therefore more inclined to do good, so the concept of an "evil psychic" is an odd one."

Again a claim about those with psychic abilities without substantiation.... As we don't know the reasons for attributes such as mediumship or psychic awareness, it would be wrong to link spiritual evolvement as a requirement for either. I'm not saying it isn't, only that it's no more than supposition. "evil psychic" is an emotive description but some appear downright disreputable.

"I suspect that a lot of mediums accidentally use their intuitive or psychic abilities when giving readings. It's not always easy to understand where the information is coming from."
The first sentence is undoubtedly true for some mediums. Whether it is true for, quote: "a lot" of them again is speculative. It is, though, the responsibility of any medium to know what they are doing. If it's not known from where details are being acquired, then caution should be shown until it is known. The regurgitation of details acquired from the enquirer through auric reading - which may mislead the sitter into thinking it is mediumship - is deplorable. A responsible, experienced evidential medium would know how to differentiate, and be able to avoid using psychic reading, when giving mediumship.

But, then, it's down to what the term medium means to us personally - we've gone full circle....
Old 01-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Experiencer
Mac, semantics aside, I don't think we differ in opinion in any way. Supposition is exactly what I was offering and I think that has to be taken as read on a forum like this - we can only present our personal opinions and experiences. Is it possible to produce "evidence" for any spiritual phenomenon?

That being said, I have communicated with my own higher self to fascinating result, though I have never attempted to do so with anyone else's despite assurance from my guides that it is possible (I mean, should one ask a person's permission before trying that sort of thing? ). I suppose I personally feel that there is a link between spiritual development and psychic ability because that is exactly how I developed mine... There seems to be reasonable consensus (that is, it is mentioned in many texts and personal accounts on psychic development, and I have never seen opposition to the issue) that inner emotional healing and energy work promote psychic abilities and are a must for developing abilities like mediumship. Mine turned up as a side-effect of doing this, rather to my astonishment, as it wasn't the original intention. So the idea of someone who has taken this path only to become a charlatan is interesting.

I certainly agree that mediums should be aware at all times of what they are doing, but in an ideal world everyone in every profession would understand their craft to the highest level at all times, and I don't think this is the reality... though it would be nice!
Old 01-01-2011, 09:07 PM
mac

Mac, semantics aside, I don't think we differ in opinion in any way. That's not how I see things and it's certainly not semantics. Supposition is exactly what I was offering and I think that has to be taken as read on a forum like this - we can only present our personal opinions and experiences. Is it possible to produce "evidence" for any spiritual phenomenon? I'll accept personal experience, how something worked out, what was experienced etc. That sort of third-party evidence is fine for me when I understand it. I'll accept it as evidence.

That being said, I have communicated with my own higher self to fascinating result,....those results being? though I have never attempted to do so with anyone else's despite assurance from my guides that it is possible (I mean, should one ask a person's permission before trying that sort of thing? ). It's not something about which I have any understanding and I'd be happy for you to change that situation for me. I suppose I personally feel that there is a link between spiritual development and psychic ability because that is exactly how I developed mine... I wouldn't doubt your personal situation but why would it necessarily be so for others? There seems to be reasonable consensus (that is, it is mentioned in many texts and personal accounts on psychic development, and I have never seen opposition to the issue) that inner emotional healing and energy work promote psychic abilities and are a must for developing abilities like mediumship. That's a broad brush applied to the situation...Mine turned up as a side-effect of doing this, rather to my astonishment, as it wasn't the original intention. So the idea of someone who has taken this path only to become a charlatan is interesting. Indeed it is but it doesn't mean the others reached their position in ways necessarily comparable to your own or with comparable outcomes....or have similar characters.

I certainly agree that mediums should be aware at all times of what they are doing, but in an ideal world everyone in every profession would understand their craft to the highest level at all times, and I don't think this is the reality... though it would be nice! No it's certainly not the reality of the situation but mediumship is a situation somewhat different to a 'profession' as you mention.