Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 31-12-2010, 08:20 AM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkest-Messiah
Possibly so...some of the elete have the right to See other than everyone can and does...so possibly it is eletist of them or myself that there is true mediumship versus players at it....or beginners who might one day become one of the ancients.............but no more so than the grade school football player, versus those in high school, college, and finally pros.........look at Sylvia Brown...there are def false mediums who abound with but only tiny insight into true mediumship - they can write a good book, search the audiance for a joe or jane or mr smith...BUT! (no appology for my realistic view on the charlatins of the world or their sad believers)

What a thought-provoking reply - thank you again. Quite clearly there are certain sensitives who claim, or appear to be, mediums but whose techniques raise questions. Others may cynically dupe vulnerable enquirers. It wouldn't be unreasonable to call them false mediums because the principle of what they do is not genuine.

But there's a difference between such false mediums and those who have a way to go in their development. Unlike the former group, over time these individuals may become useful practitioners. I'm not comfortable with any displayed elitism in this regard any more than elitism in any other field. There's an old saying, something like: "Pride goes before a fall".

I have no difficulty with your realism concerning the charlatans of the world. They deserve only contempt.
Old 31-12-2010, 08:35 AM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthprowler
Mac I love your interest in mediumship and the debates you seem to love to begin. You certainly keep people on their toes and aren't afraid to ask "why", "how", "tell me more in depth".

I'd be curious to ask you what being a medium or what mediumship means to you in just a few sentences.

I also found a link that I would imagine numerous people have found in their readings that sets apart the differences between people and how they handle their skills.

http://www.spiritwritings.com/mediumbiographies.html

oh yeah and by the way......I do do this for people that want to contact the other side.....not just nay sayers.

thank you - I do try to make my contributions interesting, relevant and often challenging. I 'see' many individuals who use many words in their postings but actually say very little, so many who talk mostly about themselves. Such contributions don't readily lead to discussion and progression....

My take on mediums? It's pretty simple. Evidential mediums provide evidence of continuing life beyond corporeal death, comfort for the bereaved, help for seekers. Teaching mediums convey guidance from spiritually-evolved teachers and guides. If a practitioner isn't a trans-dimensional go-between, it's not mediumship.

Three short sentences. Purely my personal position.
Old 31-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Darkest-Messiah

Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
What a thought-provoking reply - thank you again. Quite clearly there are certain sensitives who claim, or appear to be, mediums but whose techniques raise questions. Others may cynically dupe vulnerable enquirers. It wouldn't be unreasonable to call them false mediums because the principle of what they do is not genuine.

But there's a difference between such false mediums and those who have a way to go in their development. Unlike the former group, over time these individuals may become useful practitioners. I'm not comfortable with any displayed elitism in this regard any more than elitism in any other field. There's an old saying, something like: "Pride goes before a fall".

I have no difficulty with your realism concerning the charlatans of the world. They deserve only contempt.

I can buy into your argument, Mac...as well as agreeing that many newbies do become elite...and yet without pride the pain is not worth it at all. May I stick with elitism, and still be ok with newbies..........sure. I wont say I am pure blood at this arena, but pride also does not have to create a royal class anymore than does being an elite. I ran across a palm reader once who knew things about palm reading and had read palms for hire for over 30 years successfully...and yet could not read mine at all...............an elitis could have and would have, and yet the one who read mine wasn't false, just no where near elite....................good thread
Old 31-12-2010, 08:38 AM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya
Wow, some discussions on this site are like trying to pin down a barrel of monkeys...

in my view - medium: a person who, through communication and co-operation with the spirit world, provides a bridge for service to those in spirit and in physical.

Mediumship: the work and practice which is undertaken by the medium to hone their abilities and make them a better medium. (eg - to practice your healing/communication/trance/teaching etc mediumship). Mediumship is something which will continue throughout a medium's life, both before and after physical form, imho.

"Wow, some discussions on this site are like trying to pin down a barrel of monkeys... " But look how well you did it.... A really simple, clear explanation of how you see things.

thank-you
Old 31-12-2010, 08:40 AM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkest-Messiah
I can buy into your argument, Mac...as well as agreeing that many newbies do become elite...and yet without pride the pain is not worth it at all. May I stick with elitism, and still be ok with newbies..........sure. I wont say I am pure blood at this arena, but pride also does not have to create a royal class anymore than does being an elite. I ran across a palm reader once who knew things about palm reading and had read palms for hire for over 30 years successfully...and yet could not read mine at all...............an elitis could have and would have, and yet the one who read mine wasn't false, just no where near elite....................good thread

thanks - I think much clear-thinking is emerging now.
Old 31-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Darkest-Messiah

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
thanks - I think much clear-thinking is emerging now.

You d' man
Old 31-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Master
practice! practice! practice!
Old 31-12-2010, 09:02 AM
glenos

What about those who can do both evidential, and teaching, and are highly proficient at both. As we know Mac, they are about. Inter discipline?

G
Old 31-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Serenity Bear

The Syvila Brown sort can and is some of the problem. People watch the likes of some mediums on TV and think that is mediumship when all it is, is very good cold reading. Iv seen one American medium ask so many questions that it was like an interrogation. In no way was it mediumship it was cold reading.

Iv even seen some so called good mediums in the Uk simply using psychic skills to give a so called mediumship reading.

Im afraid a lot of it is just bad mediumship, while the rest is lack of tutoriship, bad stagecraft and presentation. A good tutor medium would never allow a lot of what goes on on some platforms Iv seen, it would be nipped in the bud and the better standard would come forth. Everyone needs to learn how to use their abilities, and how to present it the best way and this is where a good tutor comes in.

For me mediumship must mean communicating with the Spirit World. This communication thus must be to prove that there is a life after death. Now there are lots and lots of ways to do this using different forms of mediumship, that if you know what you are looking for are very easy to spot.

A lot will say a 'natural' medium doesnt need a tutor, in a way that is true, but even if you were a natural cook you still need someone to show you certain things, why should it be any different for a medium.

PS: Maybe this is elitism, but if you spent years learning to do something really well, and know others can too it is so sad when they settle for something a lot less of what they can be.
Old 31-12-2010, 09:14 AM
glenos

Which brings us to the oft heard chant.. "where are all the good Mediums these days?"

G