Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 29-10-2014, 12:07 AM
Guide

Skanda Shasthi

Today is the last night of the 6 day festival, dedicated to Murugan, the great Pleidian Master God who sits on the anahatha chakra guiding aspirants on the yogic path. May tonight be auspicious!
Old 29-10-2014, 12:25 AM
Gracey

Did a bit of research on him just now. Could you please tell me more about what the 6 day festival is about?
Old 29-10-2014, 01:58 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracey
Did a bit of research on him just now. Could you please tell me more about what the 6 day festival is about?

This site should help .. http://hinduism.about.com/od/festiva...andasashti.htm

In Tamil culture in particular, Murugan is special. Murugan is often called the God of the Tamil people. Generally Murugan festivals are associated with penance and austerities. The more important Thai Pusam, a one day festival in February would be attended my many more devotees. over a million in a couple of places ... Batu caves in Malaysia, and Palani in India.
Old 29-10-2014, 02:21 AM
Gracey

thank you kindly.

how does the destruction of evil by the Supreme Being come about? if you dont mind answering or pointing me in the right direction to learn.
Old 29-10-2014, 02:46 AM
Gracey

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/k/karttikeya.html
Old 29-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Guide

Quote:
thank you kindly.

how does the destruction of evil by the Supreme Being come about? if you dont mind answering or pointing me in the right direction to learn.

Firstly, the term 'evil' in the sense of 'absolute bad' does not exist in Hinduism. There is only 'that which leads us towards the goal', and that which keeps us from the goal' so things are fairly grey with far less good/bad thinking than in some other faiths.

Murugan, as the commander of the devas, is a metaphor, for conquering our lower instinctive forces: anger, fear, prejudice, etc. Murugan is not considered a Supreme being in most cases, (In Smartism, there would be an exception) but more like an archangel, a soul created for this more focussed purpose.

Not sure if that helps.
Old 29-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Gracey

That helps tremendously. Thank you.

You say deva...is this an elemental term or is it perceived differently in Hinduism?
Old 29-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Guide

Not sure what you mean by 'elemental' in this context. In Hinduism, Devas are beings, helpers from the second (astral) world, souls between births, and others. Elementals are particular kinds of devas generally associated more with nature spirits. So pujas in agamic temples involve a part where the priest feeds the 'elementals'. Not sure if this is what you meant at all.
Old 29-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Gracey

yes, you understood my question and thanks again. Hinduism resonates well with me, as to what is understood so far.
Old 30-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Guide

Quote:
yes, you understood my question and thanks again. Hinduism resonates well with me, as to what is understood so far.

Good to know. Thanks.