Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Affirmations

Old 07-02-2011, 05:00 PM
nalan

merging christianity with reincarnation

(Please excuse me if this post is in the wrong place.)

In my teens I became agnostic, sort of. I questioned my Catholic upbringing and couldn't see how a loving God allowed sickness, disease, and the threat of hell. It was that threat alone that made me think Christianity was mind control by fear as motivator. Believe or go to hell!!!

I never stopped believing in God, but I guess I just created my own understanding of him through my experiences. I adhered strongly to the spiritualist church (I live near Casadega (sp?), so that made it really convenient). I valued the people, the messages, the exploration into our existence both physical and spiritual. I learned to channel (sort of), and I began learning of my past lives. To date, I know of at least 7 past lives. But I thoroughly detested the concept of organized religion, so eventually my time at the spiritualist church waned to nothing.

When my son was born, I returned to church because I want him brought up in a community with values that teach about a loving God/force/entity. But as I've sat through the sermons, they hit home. And it wasn't fear of hell that caught my attention. It's how Jesus works through our lives. I was hearing a strong message that I could not deny.

But until now, I didn't see how reincarnation meshed with Christianity. There is a thread (I forgot the name) that was very helpful. I now feel more at peace calling myself a Christian, though I feel a bit hypocritical for still picking and choosing my beliefs.

How many others pick and choose beliefs, or is that pretty much what people do to make sense of their existence?
Old 07-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Experiencer

I pick and choose... or more it picks me? One can't help but believe what they believe. But I don't think there's any fault in that. My beliefs can't be summed up in one short discription or religion, but I'm ok with that. I think it should be a more personal thing anyway. It's not easy for a me to believe 100% in Exactly what another person believes, and I can't really help it. I go with what I see some evidence of and add my own faith.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:21 PM
nalan

That's about how I go about understanding my spirituality, too.

Trouble is that I'm feeling torn. I feel guilty because I do not subscribe to Jesus as being the one, true way to heaven. That premise is the founding principle of the church I attend (and value!). It's that premise that caused the church to split several years ago (the Episcopalian split).

I even feel like a hypocrite during some of the prayers, so I just don't say them.

But I can't deny what I know to be own truth, either.

I feel like I'm part of a crowd that isn't my crowd because of my "dirty little secret."
Old 07-02-2011, 07:25 PM
AngelBreeze

There Is But ONE Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalan
(Please excuse me if this post is in the wrong place.)

In my teens I became agnostic, sort of. I questioned my Catholic upbringing and couldn't see how a loving God allowed sickness, disease, and the threat of hell. It was that threat alone that made me think Christianity was mind control by fear as motivator. Believe or go to hell!!!

I never stopped believing in God, but I guess I just created my own understanding of him through my experiences. I adhered strongly to the spiritualist church (I live near Casadega (sp?), so that made it really convenient). I valued the people, the messages, the exploration into our existence both physical and spiritual. I learned to channel (sort of), and I began learning of my past lives. To date, I know of at least 7 past lives. But I thoroughly detested the concept of organized religion, so eventuWhen my son was born, I returned to church because I want him brought up in a community with values that teach about a loving God/force/entity. But as I've sat through the sermons, they hit home. And it wasn't fear of hell that caught my attention. It's how Jesus works through our lives. I was hearing a strong message that I could not deny. ally my time at the spiritualist church waned to nothing.

When my son was born, I returned to church because I want him brought up in a community with values that teach about a loving God/force/entity. But as I've sat through the sermons, they hit home. And it wasn't fear of hell that caught my attention. It's how Jesus works through our lives. I was hearing a strong message that I could not deny.

But until now, I didn't see how reincarnation meshed with Christianity. There is a thread (I forgot the name) that was very helpful. I now feel more at peace calling myself a Christian, though I feel a bit hypocritical for still picking and choosing my beliefs.

How many others pick and choose beliefs, or is that pretty much what people do to make sense of their existence?

Very warm greetings, nalan!

You ask about the proper place to post. This forum is about Affirmations. However, it appears that you are in the proper place after all, since you have re-AFFIRMED your Christian calling and for that I Congratulate you! And of course, I am sure you are aware of the Biblical teaching that without becoming Born Again, that is, giving one's life to Jesus Christ, one cannot attain Heaven. That's in the Holy Bible.

As for the 'meshing' of Christianity with reincarnation, be assured that there is no such thing! There are some, even here, who have brought forth one website that they feel tends to say that it does, but others who have studied it carefully find that nothing could be further from the truth. There are also references brought up from time to time trying to justify reincarnation as being accepted by a majority of Christians, and they mention the Council at Nicea, and the Fifth Century, etc. as justification for merging the two and even say that references to reincarnation were later removed by Christians, yet there is absolutely no proof that that ever happened. Likewise, there is no proof that Christians ever accepted reincarnation. We have but ONE (1) life and that is the one we are living here and now. That is why we must watch everything we do as it will ultimately affect us as we move on into the Afterlife where we will pick up where we left off here on Earth and continue to refine our spiritual path by learning more and more and being of service there unto others just as we should be doing here.

The Proof Of We Having Only One Life Is In These Three Scriptures:

"And as it is appointed unto men ONCE to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for Him shall He appear the second time without sin unto salvation." -- HEBREWS 9:27-28 (KJV)

"There is One body, and One Spirit, even as ye are called in One hope of your calling; One Lord, One faith, One baptism, One God and Father of All, who is above all, and through all, and in you all." -- EPHESIANS 4:4-6 (KJV)

"So Man Lieth Down, and Riseth Not: Till the Heavens Be No More, They Shall Not Awake, Nor Be Raised Out Of Their Sleep." -- JOB 14:12 (KJV).

So, I'm very glad that you have realized that the important thing for you to do is as you are doing, returning to Christianity to assure that you and your children will be Saved when they pass on when you and they become Born Again. That is the most loving responsibility that a parent can have, to assure Salvation not only for themselves but for their precious children.

As for your beliefs when you were very young in your teens thinking about how God could allow illness, disease, and Hell, I'm sure you now realize in your adult years that it is not God who sends any of that to a person but that it is the behavior of the person who brings those things unto themselves. God will certainly allow that to happen, using 'tough love', otherwise, how would a person learn from their mistakes? For example, if each time a person would sin and contract an STD from an unclean person, how would they ever learn that it was caused by their bad choices and behavior if they did not come down with the dis-ease and then have to go to the doctor to be cured from it? And of course, that is for dis-eases that are curable. There are a number that are not. So, it all depends on personal human behavior. God does not punish anyone. People bring punishment unto themselves through their own actions and bad judgment which lead them to distance themselves from the spiritual laws of God, thus imperiling and bringing demise unto themselves.

And what some may perceive as 'mind control' by the Christian churches over people, with the threat of Hell, etc., as you put it, is merely a loving effort to awaken one's ability to think clearly and live their life knowing the consequences that could happen if one does not. After all, even a parent teaches their child right from wrong. And that is because both ministers and parents care about your soul and spirit when you pass on as well as while you are in this life. That is why clergy reaches out to people while those who do not care about you would rather advocate a live and let live stance, simply because what does your life mean to them? Nothing! They are not your keepers and they are not going to pass away in your stead and have to answer for your wrongdoing! So, it is good to teach someone the difference between right and wrong as well as the penalties and pitfalls for doing wrong.

When one remains complacent in their thinking, thinking that they are above it all and can just about write their own ticket, that goes very much against Spiritual Law and there are consequences for that way of thinking. The church thus makes an effort to warn people of the Dangers in that way of thinking and for one to "straighten out" and live a good life making healthy spiritual choices instead. But as a defensive mechanism, there are many who would simply give up on religion and unfairly blame the pulpit minister or priest for threatening them with Hell, etc. when in effect, all they are doing is trying to help you become a better person by providing great spiritual food for thought so that you can avoid making grievous errors along the way that will be very costly to you later on.

I am especially proud of you when you say the following:

"When my son was born, I returned to church because I want him brought up in a community with values that teach about a loving God/force/entity. But as I've sat through the sermons, they hit home. And it wasn't fear of hell that caught my attention. It's how Jesus works through our lives. I was hearing a strong message that I could not deny."

Again, Congratulations To You! The message that you heard was indeed Jesus Christ speaking right to your heart and resonating and permeating throughout your entire being! He wants you to know that through Him and With Him you can be Saved and that is the message that indeed cannot be denied! He also wants you to know that He is ever present for you if you but reach out to Him.

I therefore, honor your commitment to return to Christianity and may God, through His only begotten Son Jesus Christ, be forever with you to help you and bless you in all the ways possible and to guide you and your family through life with His Omnipresent Light and His Eternal Love!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Master
scriptures are proof of nothing, they are the writer's opinion, the only way to KNOW is to experience, you cant get knowing from a scripture, that is merely belief...
"Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen. Not any religion or cultural system. I am not from the East or the West, not out of the ocean or up from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not composed of elements at all... I belong to the Beloved, have seen the two worlds as one and that one call to and know, first, last, outer, inner, only that breath breathing human being."
Rumi
Old 07-02-2011, 07:41 PM
nalan

Angelbreeze,

Thank you for your warm greetings, but I'm trying to understand Christianity and reincarnation as one in my life.

My belief in my past lives is not up for debate.

And I also agree with Shabda. The Bible is important, sacred even. Its lessons, history, teachings, connection with God, all of it matters. But there have been good arguments stating that reincarnation can co-exist with Christianity.

But this thread isn't really about whether reincarnation exists or not; it's about me finding a way to be okay with the fact that I am, literally, picking and choosing what I believe when I am surrounded by good people in a very Christian church.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:22 PM
AngelBreeze

God Is Moving Through Your Life!

Quote:
That's about how I go about understanding my spirituality, too.

Trouble is that I'm feeling torn. I feel guilty because I do not subscribe to Jesus as being the one, true way to heaven. That premise is the founding principle of the church I attend (and value!). It's that premise that caused the church to split several years ago (the Episcopalian split).

I even feel like a hypocrite during some of the prayers, so I just don't say them.

But I can't deny what I know to be own truth, either.

I feel like I'm part of a crowd that isn't my crowd because of my "dirty little secret."

Warm greetings to you, nalan!

You do know who is causing this rift in your belief of Jesus don't you? The adversary. But his biggest victory is in trying to convince people that he does not exist! That has always been his primary goal! He is ever powerful to instill his lies so that the Truth will be obfuscated by his lies. He also works through those who work along side with him and have chosen to follow him instead of God. But do not listen! You know that without Jesus you cannot be Saved. Embrace your Lord and Savior Now and ask Him to Welcome you back home.

And do not feel like a hypocrite when wanting to pray. Again, the adversary, being an opportunist and a liar, is ever ready to make you feel not worthy to pray for the slightest reason, and if you listen, he has won! Of course you can pray to God! Who tells you that you can't, except the devil because he is God's enemy. And he would like to tempt you through his deceitful ways to believe in him over God. Could you live with that? Could your conscience really accept it? Please think of what you would be doing.

There is still great Love in your heart for Jesus I can plainly see that with your following sentence. And know for that you will be blessed!

"But I can't deny what I know to be own truth, either."

And about your "dirty little secret.", as you call it, dirty little secrets can only stay dirty when a person wants them to stay that way. You know you are empowered through Jesus Christ to clean up that little secret anytime and it will not be 'dirty' anymore! So use the white cloth of Jesus' Truth now to erase the dirt.

Like I said previously in my other post, no one is going to care about your soul or spirit when you pass-on, no one, nalan. Now is the time to make amends with God and accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior! Who can guarantee that we would be around tomorrow if we try to put off that very important element for our Salvation to another day.

"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be Born Again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." -- JOHN 3:3 (KJV)

If you approach Jesus with contrite heart and accept Him as your Lord and Savior and say out loud and believe that He is the Only Begotten Son of God who died and resurrected to Save you and pledge to give your life to Him and amend your ways, you will be Saved this very day! That is free to do and it is Biblical and is truly investing in your life and afterlife!

It costs nothing to Believe and in so believing, you guarantee your Salvation for eternity according to God's Word which is the ultimate Truth in and of itself. The alternative is not a pretty one I assure you but it is your choice to make.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:30 PM
nalan

AngelBreeze,
Again, thank you. I do appreciate what you are saying. I'd be more than happy to talk with you about this on pm, but I'd really like this thread to stay focused on my original topic.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:06 PM
AngelBreeze

Shared Conversations

Quote:
AngelBreeze,
Again, thank you. I do appreciate what you are saying. I'd be more than happy to talk with you about this on pm, but I'd really like this thread to stay focused on my original topic.

Certainly. Be assured that I have no problem with that. However, I have said what I wanted to say inasmuch as you posted to an open forum where anyone could reply and I just wanted to make sure that you were considering all the angles to what you were saying and that you did not do something that you would later regret and end up saying, they told me so -- and it would be too late to do anything about it.

As for Scripture, it is not mere words written by one who did not know what they were saying. It does not require one to try it out or experiment with it. It is the solid Word of God to anyone who truly understands its meaning.

If you have any further questions or whatever you would like to discuss along these lines, you can feel free to PM me on that as well. Thank you.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Experiencer

The Roman Emperors tortured the early Christians (they called themselves "Followers of the Way" until they abandoned Jesus' true teaching about the God Within and instead confessed total obedience to the Emperor.

I do think humanity's exaggerated fear of authorites was implanted in Humanity here. The Catholic Church has followed the tradition very welll.

When power elites take control of spirituality, the inner truth is always attacked, and we are forced to listen to outer authorities. Materialistic science does exactly the same thing.

In China, even the peaceful meditators who harm nobody, are persecuted by the materialistic regime. They do the same thing as the Catolic Inquisition

Power elites want to be gods themselves, on Earth. They feed on other people's fear. Reincarnation is something that would make you go WITHIN, to get at those memories, maybe lose the fear of the outer elite. Therefore they persecute you. You are a threat to them. The goal of this elite is to disprove the true God and rule with terror.