Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 13-07-2012, 08:53 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrie
I think New Age and Christianity are the same and yet different. Christianity draws the line by saying that Jesus is God. If you know Jesus, you know God. They are one and the same person. You must accept Jesus as God incarnate. That is when the comparison is over....

Because God is a jealous God, he demands full allegiance. You are not to question his word. As far as delving into New Age practices, it is forbidden because those are considered areas of darkness, where we may encounter things we cannot handle.

Is today a new frontier for learning about metaphysical aspects to enhance our understanding about God? Is it wrong to want to embrace creation in all of its magnificent wonders? Is learning about auras and chakras to help others evil? Is using the universe tools to help others, such as Reiki evil?
Is the study of "energy" itself evil?

Thank you for your insightful answer merrie.

Quote:
If you know Jesus, you know God. They are one and the same person.

We are to know Jesus, that is, His life, ministry, sacrifice. Jesus is God, yet God is One in Three distinct persons. They are One and the same yet Three. You're right, New Age rejects the Trinity.

I think that there needs be a distinction too, between learning other sciences and religions and making them the authoritative guide. This distinction does draw the line between varying forms of worship. Such as Cults.... Your Scripture in reference to being a Jealous God may lead us deeper into understanding and knowing counterfeit doctrine. Otherwise we can be led astray to follow false gods and or idols.

The same questions you asked could be said of medical science vs religion with emphasis on vs. However, this would be against one of the first commandments in the order to subdue nature. Are we looking for a cure for such things as cancer, viruses, illness and the like, or are we straying from God in other practices?

In Matthew 7:22-23 we can find that many will have done great works in Jesus' name, but that they had never known Him.

Thanks and take care.
Old 13-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Master
Let us remember that Luke was a Physician. But human nature being what it is, there is corruption in everything.

We are hearing about it all the time in the Lawyers commercials, lately.
(Re: Big Business)

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 14-07-2012, 03:23 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
It is easy to see things in such a superficial way. On the surface we can distinguish what appears different or so similar. With only superficial knowledge these differences and similarities are only trivia.
Correct, one cannot take similar appearances as evidence of obtaining a similar effect or having a similar goal.
That the mushroom you found today looks similar to the one found and eaten yesterday does not necessarily mean that it is edible too.
Old 14-07-2012, 04:21 AM
Master
the deadly poisonous "avenging angel" mushroom looks very much like the ones you buy at the store, though how that fact relates to spiritual/religious beliefs is anyOne's guess.
Old 14-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
Some see only similarities, others differences. Some can't see black and white and therefore only see in grey, when black and white distinctions are no longer apparent they appear superficial and fuzzy.

It is easy to see things in such a superficial way. On the surface we can distinguish what appears different or so similar. With only superficial knowledge these differences and similarities are only trivia.

Thanks for your input Seawolf and for listening to my thoughts in response.
I'm not trying to focus on the similarities, I know there are differences, I was just trying to point that are similarities also. You're talking to someone who has experienced both sides, the problem isn't the other person it's us.
Old 14-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Occultist

Nods. Syb your not the only one who thought that.
The Celts and other ancient, Indo-European peoples is the root origin of Witchcraft many of these people could not even write or spell.
My family taught us by song and poems and stories, also by creating and weaving and also about being female and the strenths we shared.
Also our myths and legends and superstitions.
I was raised a Witch I was taught how to see signs and know what the earth and spirit is trying to tell me. As well as Balance within myself.
It was a culture and a way of life a way to see the world.
There is no Diety in the craft it was never a religion. So any statements of that nature is wrong. Like i have said before Gardnarians is religous, Witches is a culture.
There is so many misconceptions about the Craft its rather silly and annoying at same time as you can imagine.
The craft for me is the way i see the world also the way i react to it.
But we are all here to learn and grow. I have learned alot from you guys trust me. LOL.
Old 14-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Experiencer
Traditional Christianity and the New Age are somewhat at odds. Christianity is exclusivist, distrustful of many spiritual practices, and enshrines many social norms and ideas that were normal in the 1st century but rather out of place today.

The irony is that what we can determine about the real historical Jesus is actually a much better fit with the New Age. Reconstructions vary considerably, but it's not unlikely that Jesus was more of a mystical, shamanistic sage. His view of God was more like what we might today find in the Kabbalah. His view of himself was much more modest that what his following made it into. His teaching tended to emphasis the living Spirit over the written scripture. His requirement wasn't creedal belief but love and faithfulness to the Spirit of God.

My primary source for Jesus' authentic teachings and practices is my spiritual mentor, Lewis Keizer. For understanding spirituality, Ken Wilber has been a huge influence.
that which is within you will destroy you."

- The Gospel of Thomas (70)

http://pathstoknowledge.com
Old 14-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Zem

I agree with the point that Keith made about how Jesus probably was viewed as a "mystic" or something similar. He was disliked by the institutional church in much the same way that New Age practitioners are disliked by the Christian religion today. Jesus was challenging the man-made rules and hypocrisy in the church, and was therefore seen as someone who was guilty of blasphemy. He wasn't interested in WHAT we call ourselves, or the rules we follow. He wanted us to walk in all the light that we have, and not get self-righteous about it.

I believe there are sincere believers of truth, love, the universe (whatever you want to call it) in ALL religions. But I also think that the spirit of self-righteousness permeates these same religions, so we really need to look at each individual, rather than creating general stereotypes for whole denominations of spiritual beliefs.
Old 14-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Keith
Traditional Christianity and the New Age are somewhat at odds. Christianity is exclusivist, distrustful of many spiritual practices, and enshrines many social norms and ideas that were normal in the 1st century but rather out of place today.

The irony is that what we can determine about the real historical Jesus is actually a much better fit with the New Age. Reconstructions vary considerably, but it's not unlikely that Jesus was more of a mystical, shamanistic sage. His view of God was more like what we might today find in the Kabbalah. His view of himself was much more modest that what his following made it into. His teaching tended to emphasis the living Spirit over the written scripture. His requirement wasn't creedal belief but love and faithfulness to the Spirit of God.

My primary source for Jesus' authentic teachings and practices is my spiritual mentor, Lewis Keizer. For understanding spirituality, Ken Wilber has been a huge influence.
I think love is the core of Christianity, as well as experience of God. At the heart, there is no difference between New Age and Christianity. They're created by people and all people want love.
Old 14-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
I think love is the core of Christianity, as well as experience of God. At the heart, there is no difference between New Age and Christianity. They're created by people and all people want love.

Why would people want what they already are? Everyone has and is love. You just can't help it. NOT possessive love, just the love and feel of life and the adventure of it all.