Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 02-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
Well, I know nothing about the new age except what I glean from this forum, and particularly you, actually.
It's just general term for the 'spiritual not religious' here in the West except a New Ager is a little more involved in spirituality, enough to want to post on a forum like this for example.

They have a lot of the same basic ideas about spirituality -- typical popular Western beliefs that are too many to list.. some common ones are.. they are different than 'religion' of course because they think religion has it wrong and they are right, a belief in vague forces such as 'love' or 'energy', a thing called 'ego', the law of attraction or 'you create your own reality', reincarnation, the 'Now' (although that fad is a little old now) etc etc. or they might believe in none of those things.. it's a pretty wide category.. but those are typical New Age religious beliefs.

And just like any other religious person, they see their beliefs (doctrine) as self-evident or 'true' (dogma) and don't usually consider that they were indoctrinated by their environment, rather they choose to believe they have some form of 'truth'.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

So, it doesn't make much sense to look at people of a different religion as lesser, but people do it anyway and try to separate themselves saying they are 'spiritual, not religious'. But in reality, it's all religion and they are no different than those they condemn.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Lorelyen

To me, the good of current times is that it offers the tools. As the influence of esotericism gathers momentum in contemporary culture, some beings are questioning beliefs they inherited which seem to limit them. But as in every case, the tools don't guarantee the quality of the craftsperson. The genuine craftspeople will find their feet in due time when they learn to use the tools appropriately to their benefit.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Master

The idea that other's beliefs are limiting just because they're a different religion than yours is just basic bigotry and intolerance. It's nothing to get upset over though, it's an extremely common sentiment in New Age.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
The idea that other's beliefs are limiting just because they're a different religion than yours is just basic bigotry and intolerance. It's nothing to get upset over though, it's an extremely common sentiment in New Age.

No. Let's get this straight. I'm not saying that (I think) other people's beliefs are limiting them.

I'm saying that people themselves find their own beliefs (that they have inherited or been taught) are limiting them, themselves and they have discovered this for themselves. It has nothing to do with anyone else's beliefs being better or lesser.

I can't see how intolerance comes into wanting to advance ones own spirituality.

But like I say, we seem on different wavelengths and not wanting a rebuke from the management, I'm reluctant to discuss this further.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Master

ok
Old 02-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Book1 Old Agers and New Agers = Humanity imho

Thats correct,

1) every human, whether old ager, new ager or inbetween ager, they each are a unique individual. imho

2) All old and and new agers are connected to our environment.

3) most are new agers, in that every individual secretly has their own personal/individual beliefs.

4) many are old agers who claim to be part of larger collective religion, irrespective of how sincerely they are in the practice in those of beliefs, dogmas, practices, doctrines etc...

New agers are generally more globally aware and that is because our enviromental circumstances of newer age, is obvious more globally informed and connected.

No real mystery only fuzzy levels of catagorization ergo a fuzzy logic is sometimes the best we can help for with the most complex animals on Earth, humans.
r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6r6r
All people believe their spiritual beliefs are true. imho. Irrespective of whether we label our spiritual beliefs and/or practices as doctrine, dogma, primary, 2ndary, religion etc....
Inspirited is the first breath INward, that must occur for us to exist as an individual, independent from our mothers.
That is not about religion that is about spirit-2.
Religion enters equation as what is the old spiritual practice of best procedure for landing them on them on the planet in birthing process.
Spirituality( Spirit-1 ) is about our desire to understand/comprehend nature's adherence to breathing as primary, and suckling 2ndary.

The cosmic "boss" may be associated with metpahysical-1 cosmic laws / principles, that we discover exist in complementation to spirit-2 and spirit-3 imho

r6
Old 05-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Spirituality is about having spiritual beliefs. Religion is about having spiritual beliefs. It's the same thing, but you define a difference because you don't agree with certain religions different than your own. It's simple intolerance.
No, it's not intolerance, it's called reading a dictionary. Religion is the adherence to a specific set of tenets and beliefs. Spirituality requires zero tenets and beliefs, and has to do with personal interpretation of individual metaphysical experience. Tossing the word intolerance into the discussion while carefully avoiding any acknowledgment of the actual facts is a classic red herring argument.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
No, it's not intolerance, it's called reading a dictionary. Religion is the adherence to a specific set of tenets and beliefs. Spirituality requires zero tenets and beliefs, and has to do with personal interpretation of individual metaphysical experience. Tossing the word intolerance into the discussion while carefully avoiding any acknowledgment of the actual facts is a classic red herring argument.
So you don't adhere to a specific set of beliefs in your spirituality? Ok, so you don't believe in anything spiritual.

That's called justifying your intolerance. I wouldn't just say that though, but I've seen you rail against religion alot so it's pretty obvious that you want to feel right about it.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Master
Quote:
I've seen you rail against religion alot.
After two pages of arguing and accusing others of intolerance, I'd say you're the one who is railing. You seem intent on shooting down any and every point of view on the subject of religion versus spirituality that doesn't perfectly align with what you think. And if certain facts are too much for you, you ignore them and just accuse people. Anyway, I'm not going to argue with you. I pointed out the dictionary-definition difference between the two. How and why that falls into the category of intolerance is beyond the realm of all logical debate.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Everyone is indoctrinated.
Okay, I now see where it is you seem to be coming from. Yes, I would mostly agree with that statement. However, that's a different discussion point than the question regarding the difference between religion and spirituality. And it's this latter question and discussion point I was addressing.