Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 03-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Experiencer
What is a Shaman?

We lost so much material in SF of late. Thought I'd share and create a new thread for us to ponder and answer.

The basic definition of a shaman is related to primitive cultures which
respected nature and all its living things. Shamanism sees all things not as fixed objects, as our Western beliefs generally suggest, but as flowing energy
patterns, constantly coalescing, exchanging, and drifting apart in an endless
dance. The shaman recognizes himself or herself as being one with this dance of energy, and as such, constantly exchanging energy with all things, constantly changing. We can never be exactly what we were a mere moment before, we cannot live in our past, our only power resides in the present moment, unconditionally accepting the energy patterns which are us.

Another aspect of shamanic belief is that myth and reality are two sides of the same coin, so to speak. So in truth, both are valid. Further, one simply cannot exist without the other. As Lao Tzu said, "Being and non-being create each other." When we study myth, we search deep within ourselves for answers, we learn to truly understand ourselves and our connection with all things. Only in this way, by recognizing that we are all and all is us can we truly understand and heal ourselves and our world. In many ways, myth is what this so-called "New Consciousness" movement is all about. It's about people seeking deep within themselves to find the answers they so desperately need. When we journey into our very beings, our subconscious mind creates images that allow us to understand the world, for words alone cannot fully describe the indescribable. This is why some people see angels while others are visited by E.T.s and still others speak with animal spirits. Our minds present to us those images which we can best understand as individuals.

Although "shaman" is a word typically ascribed to Native American and other
native belief systems, I feel that anyone who has begun that great seeking deep within, to find their place in the great circle of life, is a "modern shaman".

Being a shaman does not confer great powers or great respect. Rather, it is a
responsibility to ourselves and our world to heal and to teach ourselves and
others to live in peace with all things.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Rumar

Shamans are also seen in most cultures as a link between the spirits' realm and our own, the connection between the spirits that have passed on and ourselves, they can help us communicate with them and help us gather helpful advice or warnings.

My ancestor's wife was the town's latest shaman while he was a hunter/medic.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:00 AM
mahakali

i have been wondering about this latly. shamanism is a way of life not a religion right? labels make it seem so organized like there’s a formula to it. shamanism seems like what many people do without realizing. if you are a person who can see universal truths and help fellow man then thats the same huh. do people go to the rainforest and take a course on shamanism just to trip off dmt? how does this work cant we just go somewhere in our country and take ayahuasca? im not trying to sound insulting im just curious
Old 05-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahakali
i have been wondering about this latly. shamanism is a way of life not a religion right? labels make it seem so organized like there’s a formula to it. shamanism seems like what many people do without realizing. if you are a person who can see universal truths and help fellow man then thats the same huh. do people go to the rainforest and take a course on shamanism just to trip off dmt? how does this work cant we just go somewhere in our country and take ayahuasca? im not trying to sound insulting im just curious

Shamanism is not a religion. Shaman is a word Anthropologists created to describe a particular type of person in tribal Siberia. But the term as leaked into other types of tribal studies, labeling medicine men and sorcerers who function in the tribe as a conduit with the ancestors/gods/spirit-world. Some people who take mind altering substances and pursue spiritual interests may feel that they are a type of shaman, but for most cultures, a shaman isn't a choice. It's something that is forced upon you. Either by a near-death experience, or an illness that will not abate until the person serves as a messenger of the otherworld.

You can take ayahuasca everyday and learn much from it, and not be a shaman at all. Although, many (westerners) who do take it, like to fancy themselves as such.

That's my understanding at least. It might be a little off, lol.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Rumar

Why would you have to experience a near death event or an illness to be a messenger? To be a messenger for the other side you just spread the word, you don't need permission to talk about it or be appointed officially or anything.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumar
Why would you have to experience a near death event or an illness to be a messenger? To be a messenger for the other side you just spread the word, you don't need permission to talk about it or be appointed officially or anything.
I don't necessarily agree with the point of view, but many shamanic traditions believe that a medicine wo/man or shaman has much more favor with the spirits because they have been brought so close to their world.

Examble: In Korean shamanism, only those who have terrible illness and are cured by a shamanic ritual can serve the community as one.

Personally, I do not think that it's totally needed, but there are many indigenous shamans who would disagree, based either on the lack of being chosen by the spirits or not have been trained by an elder in the art.

I think we're all more or less shamans, some of us just have a hotter hotline to the Otherworlds.
Old 23-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Dawn

Thank you for this thread!
Old 24-07-2011, 03:49 AM
Triad

A Shaman is a generic term,....today traditionally applied to people who in ancient, very ancient times were able to accurately predict disasters.

Say a child has a dream that early in the morning of the next day a hungry Brown Bear or Saber Tooth was going to enter there camp...The men made ready and that night, in fact a Brown Bear entered.

A threat to their young
became a meal...

With different cultures there are different Shamans and how they are defined...One criteria is detailed memories of past lives....In Indigeous Cultures often such training begins at the age of 7...
Old 24-07-2011, 05:17 AM
thunderseed

"Shaman", or "shamanism" are considered as disrespectful titles in native american culture, false titles that do not originate from our practices. Real native american medicine people, do not call themselves a shaman - if they do, be cautious. We do not advertise our sacred traditions or write them down.

Mahakali: In aboriginal culture many ancient traditions are followed for the person with a life path of being a medicine barer, these steps and strict traditions usually take a lifetime, therefore real and true medicine holders are very old and wise. If one does not dedicate their lives to following the true journey, and completing and following these traditions they are not considered a true medicine person, let alone cannot even be reffered to as a proper elder. It is much more than a way of living, and there is an "organized formula" to be followed, the same as you will find with every ancient culture which goes back to its roots.

Animus: Very interesting about the Korean practices.

In native american culture, besides gifts, blood family crest, it is more importantly who a person is and who they are meant to be, in general, a medicine person who is meant to be, is chosen. That life path of destiny and purpose is not for everyone. If just anyone chose to walk that path on their own, they would not be able to handle the power, hard work, commitment, dedication and sacrifice. This is not to say that other people cannot be spiritual and have some personal gifts the same as a "shaman" but they still do not encompass all that is meant for that path, and they do not work with the necessary spirits, and were not chosen by the spirits to do this work and be of service in whatever way, magician, healer, ect.
It is forced in a way, because individuals with this purpose and power do not have a choice to back down, they are destined to be what they are supposed to be, those are not ready and willing to make the personal sacrifices, work and follow the traditions to become all that they can be, may find the gift to become much more like a curse because of their false perception, lack and stubbornness. In fact, if you make one tiny mistake or try to stubbornly detour off your path, you suffer the consequences tenfold, just to make sure you learn that lesson properly this time and never decide to follow detrimental free will. It is a lifesaver and a positive thing, but to some, they might think "oh i can't handle that" or "that is horrible" or "i want to have my own free time".

It is not a path to tread lightly on, that's for sure. And thankfully it is not the path for everyone, because not everyone can withstand that path. As far as i'm concerned, i've seen a lot of bogus claims in my day by new age persons who claim to be shamans, and that is really getting into some tricky business. Therefore i remember the golden rule when seeking out mentors: age. A true wise medicine barer or mentor will be old, and hopefully wrinkly. This doesn't mean they aren't into bad medicine still, but at least it cuts the rest of the population claiming to be good mentors in half. That, and i look for their auras. I look for a gold aura around their head to make sure they've followed their path properly ;)
Yup, these days, theres a lot of my people who don't follow them traditions properly and get into some pretty frightening messes. Messing with magic and medicine wrongly and powerful sacred things that work immensely without knowing how to properly, your dead ahead of your time, and that is literal. It is dangerous even setting foot into a sweatlodge run by some random lunatic who claims to know what hes doing. Really bad things happen when the sacred things are misused. Just look at what's happened with tobacco LOL. So be careful if your ever looking for a wise elder or medicine person to learn from, make sure you know they are for real.
Old 24-07-2011, 05:35 AM
Triad

A Nagual can open the door to the conclusions that while we are still alive,we are also dead and when we are dead we are also alive.

Life after Death is Life....understanding that in and of itself can heal...in a concrete way...

Any thoughts?