Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 26-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Master
The Razor's Edge

I wish I had read the book, and I just may, but I saw the 1946 movie version last night. As much as I love old movies, I had never seen this. My synopsis is a very rudimentary, simplistic telling.

It's a wonderful story about one man's quest for a meaning to his life. Larry Darrell was a traumatized soldier in WWI. He was engaged to a rich American socialite who expected him to conform to her way of life and to what American society expected of all. He just couldn't do it and set off on his journey of self discovery. Isabel(the fiance) was in love with him throughout the movie, even though she married a rich man, because she thought that lifestyle was her hap piness.

All of the characters were materialistic; fundamentally self centered. Even the tragic friend was so lost in her love for her husband and baby(who were killed in a drunk driver accident) that she couldn't cope, couldn't work toward a happy life after their deaths. Her happiness, I think was because one is supposed to marry and have children and she achieved that. When that was taken away, her self worth disappeared. She and Larry were to marry, but being rescued wasn't enough for Sophie.

Larry ends up in India studying under a guru who sends him off alone to contemplate and meditate. It is there that Larry discovers his true self, and the meaning of his existence, god, and the whole spiritual experience.

W. Somerset Maugham authored the novel, and was the narrator. His character had interactions with all of the main characters, but, he was drawn to Larry Darrell. There was something about him that Maugham recognized, but couldn't put a word to until the end. His word to describe Larry was goodness - he was goodness.

I want to see it again to fully experience the message. I am always interrupted with dogs, or son, or hubby.
Old 26-08-2012, 06:24 PM
merrie

This is one of the most inspiring spiritual movies that I have seen. I was a very young child (about seven years old) and it left quite a spiritual impression on me. Somehow I could feel what Larry was feeling, even at such a young age. I think it was the beginning of my lifelong search for God. Even today, I feel a connection with the spirituality of this movie.

Merrie
Old 27-08-2012, 04:51 AM
Henri77

I only saw the 84 version, and saw Bill Murray in a new light. Really.
Also worth seeing. IMO
don't believe I've ever seen the original version
Old 27-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri77
I only saw the 84 version, and saw Bill Murray in a new light. Really.
Also worth seeing. IMO
don't believe I've ever seen the original version

I have never seen the '84 version either - I am not a Bill Murray fan, so I chose not to watch it. It pops up often - I'll have to catch.
Old 27-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Henri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruebeliever
I have never seen the '84 version either - I am not a Bill Murray fan, so I chose not to watch it. It pops up often - I'll have to catch.

He's an excellent dramatic actor, with depth. I'd never have guessed.

I hated Steve Martin, till he gave up on goofball humor, and expended his range.
Bill Murray posseses wonderful subtlety as evidenced in Lost in Translation.
A comedy with heart & poignant gentle drama.
Old 27-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Master
I did actually like Bill Murray's character in "Get Low". He does it well in this one. I thoroughly enjoyed that movie. Robyn Williams is another actor who you would never have thought could act as well he does. He is Julliard trained. Again, I passed on "Lost in Translation" because of Bill Murray - my son said it was excellent. I'm missing out on a lot, apparently!! I'll watch both when they come on again.
Old 27-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Henri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruebeliever
Again, I passed on "Lost in Translation" because of Bill Murray - my son said it was excellent. I'm missing out on a lot, apparently!!

Won an Oscar for the script (Sophia Coppola, director-writer) and Murray was nominated for best actor.... a tender,poignant, very funny movie.