Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 24-08-2012, 03:16 AM
Henri77

unpolitically correct Superhero(s)

In an era of politically correct superheros .... Hancock is-was a refreshing alternative.
The funniest yet most poignant film of the genre I can recall...
just rewatched it. Marvelous chemistry-humor between Charlze Theron-Will Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZQQgvhn4jg
Old 24-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Master
i see the full film is on utube, think i'll watch it tonight....looks like a nice bit of lighthearted fun, cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn3IU...eature=related

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 24-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Henri77

Tons of explosions , crashes, but it's essentially a drama-action movie with very funny, vary wacked humor.
And even the baddies are represented with a touch of compassion, humor.
I don't normally love physical humor, but it's so off center one can't help but giggle.... yet it's a different love story as well, and has heart.... and finally a movie that allows Charleze her full range, from tenderness to subtle restrained humor to macho badassery....
Many of her later roles seemed one dimensional, like Prometheus

Will also exhibits a great range, as well as his subtle mastery of humor.
Old 29-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Mountain-Goat

Can Will Smith make a bad movie?
Though i haven't seen all of his stuff, I enjoy everyone i have seen, he's good.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:47 AM
Mountain-Goat

Other alternative superhero movies...Kickasss and Super.
Watchmen is also one of my favs...most of the superheroes in it have mild to major personality flaws.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:14 AM
Henri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain-Goat
Other alternative superhero movies...Kickasss and Super.
Watchmen is also one of my favs...most of the superheroes in it have mild to major personality flaws.

Another like those 2 is Defendor with Woody Harrelman... an odd mix of off the wall comedy , drama and poignant tragedy

I was terribly sad to see Watchman not live up to the trailer.
Loved the film (seen it 3x) but it couldn't possibly sustain the quality level of the trailer for 3 hrs, so i shouldn't complain
Sadly there will never be a sequel .... and they had only one shot at it .

Guess I was hoping for a classic (like Blade runner or 2001) . as the thematic material was certainly there
There's never been anyone quite like DR Manhattan, that's for sure
Old 11-11-2012, 05:27 AM
Mountain-Goat

A lot of times trailers create a false impression, depending on the scenes in the trailer.
Similar to when my dawta decribes amovie she has seen and feels i will like it too.
Her description does not accurately match what i will experience and if i hold onto her description i find it hard to get into the movie if the movie is different from her description.
Aka, i rarely watch trailers.

i also notice fans of the comics are the one who most often don't like the movie version.
It's similar to when i watch a remake of a fav movie, sometimes i will not like the remake,
because i am comparing it to the original, or i will like the remake as a stand alone version.

I have never heard of Watchmen till i saw the movie, i know if i had read the comic, my movie experience would have been different.
I've watched the movie mutliple times and the 3hrs is never an issue.

It's like M.Night's movie version of the cartoon Avatar.
A hige portion of the fans of the cartoon hated the live movie adaption, whereas, me never seen the cartoon, still hold the movie in high regard.
I have since seen a couple of episoces of the cartoon and can see M.Night's decision to adultise the cartoon a bit, and to cram a ton of hours of cartoon of season one into a 2 hr movie is a huge task.
I think he did an excellent job, but the cartoon puritans were livid.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:03 AM
Henri77

I'd never heard of the book or comic ...but when I saw the trailer, months before, I knew it was something totally unique in concept and design....

The trailer was staggeringly beautiful , while the film was both brutal, funny and stunning..... but not as visionary as I'd hoped (overall)... still it's a marvelous production.

i think Wong Kar Wei's 2046 is a vastly underrated-unknown film .... even more beautiful than anything in Watchmen, haunting , romantic and yes visionary....
but a different genre entirely (closer to Blade Runner perhaps)
As I love all his films (his female characters)

Yeah I totally agree about Avatar (but that's James Camerons film)

Perhaps you mean Airbender ... and I'd never seen the comic-cartoon so I dug the movie. I see it's also listed as Avatar

Shamalan in a hero of mine .... the dude really can spin a yarn
Dunno why so many folks are haters ..... who don't know **** about storytelling-writing
Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Henri77

Yeah I just looked again.
The Watchman trailer was apparently conceived more as a music video than a traditional trailer, and why it is so compelling, rather than truly beautiful. The music is 1/2 its magic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3orQKBxiEg
Old 11-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri77
I'd never heard of the book or comic ...but when I saw the trailer, months before, I knew it was something totally unique in concept and design....

The trailer was staggeringly beautiful , while the film was both brutal, funny and stunning..... but not as visionary as I'd hoped (overall)... still it's a marvelous production.

i think Wong Kar Wei's 2046 is a vastly underrated-unknown film .... even more beautiful than anything in Watchmen, haunting , romantic and yes visionary....
but a different genre entirely (closer to Blade Runner perhaps)
As I love all his films (his female characters)

Yeah I totally agree about Avatar (but that's James Camerons film)

Perhaps you mean Airbender ... and I'd never seen the comic-cartoon so I dug the movie. I see it's also listed as Avatar

Shamalan in a hero of mine .... the dude really can spin a yarn
Dunno why so many folks are haters ..... who don't know **** about storytelling-writing
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-G
It's like M.Night's movie version of the cartoon Avatar.

The movie had to be called the last airbender because Cameron had already got the rights to call his Avatar.
I was never talking about Cameron's amazing movie, but always about the cartoon Avatar and the M.night movie version.

Quote:
Wong Kar Wei's 2046

Will keep an eye out for this as i do like the asian take on reality through science fiction.

I think M.night has hit a dry patch or has lost the plot concerning hiis own movies.
His last few creations were nothing like his earlier works.
The Happening, for a prime example, no atmosphere, no emotion, except the scene where the bloke and chick are staying overnight with that crazy old lady in the farm.
The rest of the movie lacked any suspense, i was not at all moved.
Unlike 6th sense or unbreakable.
In thoise i was deeply engrossed every moment, soaking up every morsel of imformation, visual , aural, theme, point, character journey, mannerisms, lighting, music.