Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 15-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Deactivated Account
Thank you all. Glad to hear couples survive such different views and yes nothing is perfect, for sure.
Old 21-08-2011, 12:50 PM
astarxy

when one of the couple becomes spiritually 'advanced' and the other doesn't, it becomes hard... i'd say impossible to proceed.

my experience... just broke up.

interpretations of things become so different that seems like worlds separate the two...
Old 22-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Master
Respect has to be there on both sides - your partner needs to respect you and your beliefs and you have to respect that he might not see things the way you do. If there's no respect or consideration, imo it becomes a dead end.

Old 22-08-2011, 09:23 PM
SerpentQueen

I would say don't be too quick to judge someone as not spiritual, no matter how atheist they say they are. ;-)

Your new guy, with his degrees in biology and physics, sounds like a curious type. It's my observation (surrounded by scientists) that these are exactly the types of subjects one pursues if one is seeking meaning and understanding about the universe and where we came from. Which very often leads to developing an interest in the spiritual topics we talk about here in SF.

My DH is a scientist, raised Catholic; in fact, he's quite the Catholic scholar. He does not attend any church today, and does not believe in religion. If I ask him if he believes in God, he just shrugs. He will entertain me and discuss all the sorts of topics we talk about here. He is respectful to me and does not dismiss my own beliefs. We get in quite interesting discussions; it's especially helpful that he can explain things like quantum physics, tweak my metaphysical understandings when I've botched it up, and also he's a veritable encyclopedia when it comes to Catholicism. He would never call himself "spiritual" and he might even be so bold as to say God does not exist.

That said, it's my observation over the years that of all the people I know, he is the one who is the epitome of what it means to "live here now." While I'm off belly button gazing and introspecting, he's living in the here and now and with great gusto I might add. His level of awareness is quite high.

So regardless of what label others may apply to him, or him to himself, he IS of very high vibration.

And that's all that counts, right?

So my advice? Give the guy a chance, keep judgments away, maintain an open mind, and see him for who he really is. And ENJOY!
Old 23-08-2011, 03:41 AM
Ascender

I agree, I wouldn't discount anyone as non-spiritual until you really got to know them.
I think whether a relationship between someone who is spiritual and someone who has 0 interest in it will work depends on the individuals. You have to decide for yourself how important it is to be able to share it with your significant other.
I know that for myself, it wouldn't work. I had a major life crisis last spring. I have been with my fiance for 15 years that were generally very happy. Last spring I met a guy who woke me up spiritually. I have always been a very spiritual being but for whatever reason I had buried this "quest" in me for far too long, and had actually asked the universe to send me someone who would wake me up again. I didn't exactly ask for a good looking, single man to be that person lol but I didn't resist either since I was so hungry to explore my spiritual side again. This guy and I became intimate, never on a physical level, but on a spiritual level, and I know now that had my fiance not been with me through it all and tried to go on this journey with me, I would be with someone else today. There is just no other way I could have continued my current relationship. My fiance instinctively knew this and even though it took a lot of courage on his part, he jumped in with both feet cause he did not want to loose me.
It has been an incredible journey. I actually had to break off contact with my spiritual guide since my fiance could not tolerate how spiritually intimate I was with this guy. It was a major crisis in both of our lives, but we got to reevaluate our relationship and found out what we really wanted and were looking for. Luckily, we managed to get through it all and come out stronger on the other end. There is no single day that goes by that I don't think about what happened, and my fiance and I still often talk about it and ask each other questions.
We have discovered a new passion for each other, we value each other even more now and we both learned a lot and know that we are truly meant to be together.
We are on this spiritual journey together now. I have more of an interest than him but as long as he is open and wants to learn more, I'm totally fine with that. He has a lot of intuitive abilities that I wasn't even aware of before, and I have even more respect for him now.
Anyways, that's a very short summary of my experience. I could write a book about it all and what I have learned through this but the gist of it is, I know that I could not ever be with someone who has no interest in spirituality. It is so much at the core of my being that I couldn't deal with someone who had no interest.
And serpentqueen, I'm a scientist and catholic as well, at least I was born and raised a catholic even though today, I would not think of myself as catholic anymore. My beliefs go far deeper than the teachings of the church.
Old 23-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Aquatic_Dragon

My girlfriend is a full blown athiest, she doesnt even believe in God or a higher being in the slightest...
but, hey i love the girl and we get on like soulmates.
In my view just because you date someone who isnt spiritual doesnt mean it wont work out, opposites attract
and plus you don't have to talk about spiritualism while your with her.
The weird thing is ive been out with 2 christians before and none of them worked out near enough as well as this relationship im in now with someone who has no beliefs.
Old 23-08-2011, 11:57 AM
earthprowler

my husband and i have been together for 18 years and married for 12......he was not into my "witchcraft thing" even though he set up my alter, he was not into my "ghost hunting thing" even though he bought my cameras and evp devices or whatever i needed, and he really wants nothing to do with the "psychic medium thing" and was truely embarrassed by it for a long time until people started asking more and I started proving myself more. I also can heal (although i have no idea how), and now when he asks for a back rub, he says "a back rub, not a healing"......lol. he likes it and is curious at times, but not as rude and non believing in it as he once was........to the point i wasn't allowed to mention it.
Old 23-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck
I use the term 'non spiritual' loosely because I'm well aware we are all spiritual beings.

I was wondering if people can make a relationship work if their partner has no interest at all in spirituality, psychic development, God or anything remotely connected to this.

There is a potential new guy on the scene and it's very, very early days, but we are interested in getting to know each other. He is very intelligent, has degrees in both biology and physics, has the same health condition as me, and is incredibly interesting to talk to as well as a very nice guy!

My only reservation is - he is an atheist with no beliefs in anything 'otherwordly.'

I am very psychic but he doesn't know this yet

I know people will say stuff like 'if you like each other it doesn't matter' and 'opposites attract' and 'it depends on the couple' but I'm interested in real experiences with this. Has anyone been in a relationship where one is psychic and the other disregards it, and how did it work out? Can it really work when beliefs are so different? I am on my spiritual path and am aware of not trying to change anyone so if he remains an atheist this should not impact on me - but how does this work in the real world?

Any thoughts/experiences

Regardless of how you see it in an earthly light and how you might disect it all, you've both come together for a reason. Whatever that reason is, is yet to be exposed over a duration of time.

Best not to slice n dice it. Enjoy what is before you and the rest will follow.
Old 23-08-2011, 05:42 PM
indiesongwriter

My mom is a medium and my dad is somewhat spiritual but more on the agnostic side. It works for them because, as a lot of folks have been saying on here, there is a deep mutual respect and he is interested in listening to her talk about her spiritual interests.

I think the caliber of someone's soul does not have much to do with spiritual openness. Its true, that statistically I think the more spiritual open types tend to be spiritually older - however many older souls are agnostic or even atheist or belong to other religions. Some souls are simply more rationalistic in their personality or they may see a foray into spirituality a distraction. Some souls are more action-oriented and are content on living out spiritual principals without analyzing them with their human mind. This is different than a spirit that is closed off for ego reasons. You would have to get to know them and feel out their energy/vibe and observe their behavior to make an adequate distinction.
Old 25-08-2011, 08:58 PM
immortalbeloved

I think that if there is mutual respect it will be okay. But, if one of you is rude or antagonistic toward the other's beliefs probably not. Top 3 things couples fight about: Money, sex and religion.