Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 22-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyth Von Gore
What is a prayer? A spoken spell. A spell is a prayer. It just has more to it. So if a religion is against casting spells, it had better tell it's followers to just not pray.

Not to forget charging up the Eucharist. If that isn't occult I'd love to know what is?!
Old 22-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Ascender
Spells used for selfish things are not encouraged. More often than not a spell used to control another will not be granted.
Old 24-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Niebla0007

Quote:
What is a prayer? A spoken spell. A spell is a prayer. It just has more to it. So if a religion is against casting spells, it had better tell it's followers to just not pray.
This is my favourite reply.
It is true that a prayer is a form of magic, just in a supplication form.
And of course, those on certain religious trade will not tell you that.
Old 24-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Lorelyen

I couldn't personally regard a prayer in its own right as casting a spell. The magical charge comes from the caster where a prayer is a supplication to a higher entity to cast the spell. However, a magician will certainly invoke the force of a higher entity to be directed.

Old 24-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Master

I agree with Lorelyen on this - to me a spell is not a prayer.

There are different types of spells and magic - you can cast a spell and invoke a deity to help you - to me this is deity magic.

But you can work candle magic or herb magic etc. and not include a deity at all; that's a long way from being a prayer.

Lilyth Von Gore wrote that "more often than not a spell used to control another will not be granted" - I'm not promoting working spells to control others (although it can become necessary at times) but Lilyth might not have heard of Hoodoo
Old 24-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Ascender
That's an entirely different belief system and yes I have heard of Hoodoo. I do not associate with Hoodoo or Voodoo. I'm superstitious like that.
Don't assume.
Old 24-04-2014, 11:53 PM
Master

Lilyth - I didn't assume - I only said "might not have heard of......."

It's an entirely different belief system than what? The question was "what religions condemn magic etc."
Old 25-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
That's an entirely different belief system and yes I have heard of Hoodoo. I do not associate with Hoodoo or Voodoo. I'm superstitious like that.
Don't assume.

Is that a racist thing? I fear too many have been worshipping at the Church of Saint Hollywood when it comes to African spirituality. The latter predates the Abraham religions by many thousands of years. The Abrahamics took off when someone hit on the idea of One True God who created everything to explain the Creation.... even the creation of Africans! But that doesn't explain the peculiar interaction between humans and the angry, destructive God of the Old Testament that they created; and the prejudices that emerge.

However, I understand your view although I'm acutely suspicious rather than superstitious about the politics and agendas of orthodox churches. No one is nearer God than anyone else, or in a position to dictate terms to the masses.

Last edited by Lorelyen : 25-04-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 25-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Ascender
No, it is not racist. Bat things happen to people who mess with voodoo and hoodoo. Old Baron Samedi is not one I would ever get involved with. I know there is a good side to voodoo, but I would never get involved.
Old 25-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Master

Quote:
No, it is not racist. Bat things happen to people who mess with voodoo and hoodoo. Old Baron Samedi is not one I would ever get involved with. I know there is a good side to voodoo, but I would never get involved.

lol, Old Baron Samedi is only one of hundreds of spirits (or loa) who may be contacted. And if you approach Him with respect and know your stuff and know what you're doing, as most of the Root Workers and Conjure/Hoodoo/Voodoo workers do, then there's no danger. Baron Samedi is known to be especially kind to children. Saying bad things happen to people who mess with Voodoo and Hoodoo is such a generalization.

Before you condemn a belief system, religion or anything else for that matter, one should spend some time studying and learning about it so one can make a knowledgeable judgment of it.