Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 13-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Master
Do Catholics have to attend Church every week?

Are there any Catholics here? Apparently according to my Dad who is Catholic, they are obliged to attend Church every week plus attend confession before they can take Holy Communion.

I'm not sure if that is totally true or not. My Dad is 79 years old and he may be out of touch with modern Catholisism.

Is what he believes true about Catholisism? If it is then it is probably not the Church for me....lol. Too strict!

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 13-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Is what he believes true about Catholisism? If it is then it is probably not the Church for me....lol. Too strict!
So why don't you just choose a church and denomination, and take part in it as per your particular level of enjoyment and interest?
Old 13-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Administrator
It depends on age i suppose the older generation would follow the church just as your dad has said,its not so much now the younger ones go when they want to go the ones that follow the religion to the tee are the gypsies a lot of irish travellers stick to it.

Namaste
Old 13-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
It depends on age i suppose the older generation
It's not about the older generation. The church doesn't care whether a person comes to mass or not. It's not about the person's attendance; it's about the person's relationship to the religion. And if s/he doesn't attend church, that pretty much says all there is to know about that person's level of interest. This isn't grade school where the adults are watching to make sure you show up.
Old 13-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Are there any Catholics here? Apparently according to my Dad who is Catholic, they are obliged to attend Church every week plus attend confession before they can take Holy Communion.

I'm not sure if that is totally true or not. My Dad is 79 years old and he may be out of touch with modern Catholisism.

That is how it used to be, and it will be difficult to convince someone of the older generation differently.

If you choose to belong to this Church today, I think things have lightened up in the way of what is expected, they are just happy if people attend.. or you can just go when you wish, my thoughts ...not sure what the official Church line of thinking is.

Most places don't have confession on a regular basis anymore either.

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 13-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Pathfinder
My parents never went to communion because they were "using birth control" and were not worthy of the host. So we were told...

Yes I heard the same things about confession, communion, if you don't go to church you will go to hell, etc...

If you are faithful to the church then you will 'follow' the rules as the old timers did(although they were very strict), there is no Love is obligation.

Today the church is so afraid of dwindling attendance they will put up with anything.
Old 13-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Master
Are we talking about the Catholic Church here or any of the denominations? Are we saying that the Catholic Church has relaxed its standards too?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 14-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Pathfinder
Yes I was referring to Catholic Church.

Now it is more relaxed in my opinion.