Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Divination

Old 09-10-2011, 05:06 AM
Quintessence

Virginia Court Says Divination Not A Religious Practice

I follow the Wild Hunt blog and they recently posted up this article that I thought may be of concern to you all. I know not everyone regards divination as a religious practice, but I sure do, as do a number of other Neopagans. Jason (who maintains the Wild Hunt) raised some very interesting questions regarding this ruling. It seems that the state is deciding to stuff divinatory practices into a box of their own making instead of actually observing and respecting the full depth and breadth of the practices. I understand the concern about fraudulent divination, but surely things can be negotiated more tactfully?

Do you personally consider divination to be a religious practice?
How do you feel about the ruling and the article in general?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Master
A ruling in an American court and [ I assume ] an American blog site, so I can't comment on them but as to divination. In my opinion, divination is NOT a religious practice despite what some may think, it is a vehicle which allows your intuition to flourish. The in-sights are coming from the reader, not some external agency.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Medium_Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence
I follow the Wild Hunt blog and they recently posted up this article that I thought may be of concern to you all. I know not everyone regards divination as a religious practice, but I sure do, as do a number of other Neopagans. Jason (who maintains the Wild Hunt) raised some very interesting questions regarding this ruling. It seems that the state is deciding to stuff divinatory practices into a box of their own making instead of actually observing and respecting the full depth and breadth of the practices. I understand the concern about fraudulent divination, but surely things can be negotiated more tactfully?

Do you personally consider divination to be a religious practice?
How do you feel about the ruling and the article in general?

Hehe, I LIVE in Virginia. I cannot get a license for "mediumship" or anything else without a degree in something they consider legit like "hypnotherapy" and even that is a FINE LINE bordering on divination.

It took me about 9 months to find a Wiccan High Priestess that could marry me legally in the state. She and only 3 others are allowed to. They had to fight for a few years to even get that.

I think I was sent here to the south to help bring the ones on the fence out into the light. Very few here will even talk about "psychics" in earshot of another human being. It's so 1600s!!

While the fraudulent medium act is definitely needed for those who prey on others and set up scams, there should be testing or some other way that we, as real legit mediums, can obtain a "degree" and proof that we are not like those that are here to con others.

I know a good friend of mine who moved here from Cali, Sophia, has been fighting the courts to get a license to read tarot and give healings. So far, she's not done very well at swaying the Virginia courts.

While divination in my opinion isn't religious, because it isn't closed into that box of a denomination. Everyone who wants to, regardless of what religion they hold true to them, can divine.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Guide
Thats interesting, i wonder what a pagan wedding would be like?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Quintessence

A large number of religious practices aren't in a closed box of a denomination, though, so I really don't think that should be a requirement. Meditation is a religious practice in a wide array of religious traditions. Meditation doesn't have to be performed in a religious/spiritual context, but it often is. The same seems to be true to me of divination. I use divination as a tool of religious/spiritual study all the time, so if this woman really was using it for religious/spiritual facilitation for others, there seems to be an unfair double standard here. But it is hard to say, overall.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Medium_Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riboflavin
Thats interesting, i wonder what a pagan wedding would be like?
It's a Wiccan handfasting and I'll show you photos :)
Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Humm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium_Laura
Hehe, I LIVE in Virginia. I cannot get a license for "mediumship" or anything else without a degree in something they consider legit like "hypnotherapy" and even that is a FINE LINE bordering on divination.

It took me about 9 months to find a Wiccan High Priestess that could marry me legally in the state. She and only 3 others are allowed to. They had to fight for a few years to even get that.

I think I was sent here to the south to help bring the ones on the fence out into the light. Very few here will even talk about "psychics" in earshot of another human being. It's so 1600s!!

While the fraudulent medium act is definitely needed for those who prey on others and set up scams, there should be testing or some other way that we, as real legit mediums, can obtain a "degree" and proof that we are not like those that are here to con others.

I know a good friend of mine who moved here from Cali, Sophia, has been fighting the courts to get a license to read tarot and give healings. So far, she's not done very well at swaying the Virginia courts.

While divination in my opinion isn't religious, because it isn't closed into that box of a denomination. Everyone who wants to, regardless of what religion they hold true to them, can divine.

I lived in Virgina for a number of years - so sorry, but in so many ways WHAT A BACKWARDS STATE (I'm sorry - 'Commonwealth' ).

That said, you can imagine my embarrassment over prop H8 here in Cali. >_<

...and that said the funny thing is if you go to this web site and just sign on you can then perform weddings no problem!

Must drive you nuts... >_<
Old 10-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Medium_Laura

YES! it really does! Commonwealth.. what an oxymoron.. lol

Backwoods and backwards is right. I lived in Michigan my whole life. A very open state when it comes to the metaphysical. I believe I learned to open up there and really work with spirit so that I could be sent here. But man, it's NOT easy.

I know probably 8 people that believe in this and the rest think I'm some kind of nut job or possessed. :P
Old 10-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Humm

Keep fighting the good fight Laura - Virginia needs you, whether they know it or not!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Medium_Laura

****! Thanks Humm... like trying to talk to rocks.. I swear.. :)