Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 03-05-2011, 09:35 PM
william.b

Seat of the Soul

It was over a decade ago that I read Gary Zukav's book The Seat of the Soul. I liked some ideas in it, but then I went through some hard times and I felt like it was a fuzzy philosophy that didn't really help me.
I gave up on spiritual belief for awhile. But lately I've been exploring it again. I recently listened to the audio book of Seat of the Soul.
Some of the ideas make a lot of sense. Others concern me a bit.
The notion that we are in an "earth school" is not that radical of an idea, but it does provide a useful frame of reference. The notion that we create our experiences through our choices is a little more problematic. I think there is truth in the idea, but perhaps it needs to be clarified that it takes time to create. If I chose to act with reverence toward people, I still might be vulnerable to people who aren't so reverent. If I consistently make choices to be more reverent or act in a nicer way, then over a long time, sure, I can create a better reality for myself.
Well, I don't know if anyone has read this book. I'm interested in what your thoughts might be on this.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:16 PM
MYFIGO

I have the book and read it a few years ago. The best thing I got out of it was the idea that if it feels like you are paddling upstream in life... you're going the wrong direction. It should feel like your floating downstream. I'd have to say I agree with it.

That's all I got out of it.... but that was before my spiritual journey began in earnest. Obviously, it's time to read it again. Although I have my copy still, I think I'd like to find the audio version. I've been listening to audio while I work. I'll let you know what I think.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 PM
william.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYFIGO
I have the book and read it a few years ago. The best thing I got out of it was the idea that if it feels like you are paddling upstream in life... you're going the wrong direction. It should feel like your floating downstream. I'd have to say I agree with it.

That's all I got out of it.... but that was before my spiritual journey began in earnest. Obviously, it's time to read it again. Although I have my copy still, I think I'd like to find the audio version. I've been listening to audio while I work. I'll let you know what I think.
Thank you.
I brought it up here because Zukav talks about science and the five senses and then he talks about people becoming mulit-sensory. Basically he talks about karma as a cause and effect law. How people create karma with the intentions behind their actions. And "authentic power," meaning one can act from a center of love without wanting to manipulate people.
Sometimes he goes off on tangents about addiction or spiritual partnership that don't interest me much.
I am a bit intrigued with his ideas about souls and personalities. He says Souls are like this greater reservoir of all of our good qualities that go on forever. Our personality is a temporary incarnation that is run by the intellect and emotions. Historically, our personalities have not had access to the whole wisdom of our souls because we were operating from our five sensory perception.
In a way, I find this an agreeable belief because some people who believe in reincarnation are very much interested in "no-ego" teachings. Mr. Zukav encourages people to think outside of their personality, but he doesn't say you need to extinguish your sense of identity or anything. Just become aware that your personality is part of a bigger system and it is serving the purposes of the greater Soul.
All of this is paraphrased.
And to add, I just checked out a sequel to this book from the library called "The Mind of the Soul" which is essentially a simple workbook based on these concepts. A sort of review of the ideas meant to engage a person's thoughts about themselves.