Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 21-07-2016, 11:16 PM
Newbie ;)

Advice for how to deal with non spiritual parents?

Does anyone have any advice for how to deal with parents that aren't awakened, 0% spiritual, or have completely different beliefs? From personal experience I find it quite hard to deal with people at all who just don't "get it". I want to confront my parents about it so they won't get the wrong idea or assume anymore but even if I tried to sit down with them and talk about it then they would either not understand, call me crazy, or completely not respect it. The reason that I am asking this is that, like I said, my parents are 0% spiritual/ don't have the same beliefs so they don't understand. I remember a while back they thought I was crazy and needed "help" because of my beliefs. And mind that I have to live with them for a while longer so I can't just cut my ties right now (though I am planning to). I have no idea with how to deal with them anymore and I don't know what I should do from now on.
Old 22-07-2016, 12:27 AM
Experiencer
Keep calm, you will many time meet such situations in your life when people judge you for your believes.

My advise is explain them simple that you got your own believes, that you respect their own views but you wish that they do so to and that there is nothing to worry about. I know you are inspired and exited about your discoveries and love to share, we all did at some point but even among spirituals you will experience that your believes might get judged therefore there is no need to deffend your truth.

Also i get the point of you, you want to get out and make everyone see also there where many people of us and also there we got judged, laughted or even called crazy but dont worry these which are truly interessted, life will bring them automaticly to you.

As it is with religion anyone claims to have the ultimate truth and they are deffending it and the resault we can see clearly now days.

How to deal with your parents?! Simply acceptance, see it as a place for you to learn to be calm as example. No matter what, life is always teaching you something precious about yourself. If you allow to quieten yourself in that situation you might be able to even discover more, think about it ;).
Old 22-07-2016, 05:40 PM
Master

In time you will realize and learn that most people you meet will not agree with your beliefs, and that is a fact of life. One must learn to respect others beliefs, and that's the key.

Confronting people does very little and antagonizes the situation. In life you will encounter differences from morals, political or religious views, ethics etc,.

How do you cope? You learn to listen to others, but that doesn't mean you must agree or that they are right or that you are. You don't need to tell others of your beliefs, and you don't need your friends and family to share those beliefs either.

If I cut ties with everyone who didn't believe in what I do, then there would be very few people in my life. Even here on SF where I have some good friends that span a few years, we all have differing views. It's really not that important to have everyone agree with you or to understand you.
Old 22-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinVaele
Does anyone have any advice for how to deal with parents that aren't awakened, 0% spiritual, or have completely different beliefs? From personal experience I find it quite hard to deal with people at all who just don't "get it". I want to confront my parents about it so they won't get the wrong idea or assume anymore but even if I tried to sit down with them and talk about it then they would either not understand, call me crazy, or completely not respect it.
Down to earth? Sounds like you've done your best. So now you have to go on in disregard of them. Keep a low profile obviously so they don't put obstacles in your way. Just keep your beliefs to yourself as best you can (and don't leave too much evidence about, like diaries and stuff, just in case... In case they do start intruding by getting you help).
Just be as cheerful as you can, walk aloof. You're dealing with a bad aspect of the generation gap. Your parents are a) set in their ways and b) still trying to control you - rather than facilitate your development. If they were worthy parents they'd be ready to sit down and chat - which they aren't so they are barely worthy of attention from you.

However you do have to live with them. If they provide for you they deserve courtesy at least. If they're not doing you physical or psychological harm (like emotional blackmail) just, like I say, keep your developing spiritual beliefs to yourself. Humour them as best you can.

Quote:
The reason that I am asking this is that, like I said, my parents are 0% spiritual/ don't have the same beliefs so they don't understand. I remember a while back they thought I was crazy and needed "help" because of my beliefs. And mind that I have to live with them for a while longer so I can't just cut my ties right now (though I am planning to). I have no idea with how to deal with them anymore and I don't know what I should do from now on.
And like I said, they don't seem worthy parents. They don't want to understand. You're still a minor who should be seen and not heard in their view. Naturally being old-fashioned, they think they're right and you should accept that. If you have to practice spiritual things - like meditation, observances, yoga, affirming and things, do as much as you can away from home.

How long before you reckon you'll be able to leave?
Old 23-07-2016, 04:00 AM
Newbie ;)

I think that I'll be able to leave in about 7-8 months.
Old 24-07-2016, 02:57 PM
Lorelyen

Then it's honestly going to be better to humour them to avert upset. Be nicer if you left on good terms. Keep that low profile. Don't try to talk about your beliefs to them and if they were to ask, shrug if you can get away with it. Best to avoid saying "There's no point you wouldn't understand." Instead, venture something like "Well it's there if you're interested but I haven't given it much thought of late...." sort of evading if you can.

Obviously I can't know your circumstances but it may be possible to schedule some spiritual things that you do away from the house so that they aren't tempted to take the subject up with you.

In my pre-pube years I had to be pretty evasive with my parents as I started to rebel. At that age I wasn't "being spiritual" in the sense I am now but more because I really didn't want them interfering with my beliefs and thoughts. There would have been no room for discussion but I didn't want their derision and stuff. Nasty people.

Old 24-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Master

Part of being spiritual I believe is also respecting that others also have their own beliefs. This includes the fact that your parents have their own beliefs and they being not willing to change this.

It's often best to keep your own beliefs to yourself and away from family and friends when these others are not going to understand.

My own father gets quite upset when he's heard about me doing a healing in the past as he doesnt believe in healing energies so thinks its mindwashing or conning the other person. So I tell him nothing at all about what I do.

If you like to meditate, you can do it in bed just before sleep, your parents do not have to know.
Old 24-07-2016, 09:49 PM
Suspended
Master

Keep quiet and smile and nod a lot until you can get out of there! Then when you are no longer living with them or dependent on them in anyway, you can tell them anything you want. That way, their anger won't affect you as much if you do decide to confront them about issues.
Old 25-07-2016, 02:31 AM
Knower
Be who you are.
Old 26-07-2016, 11:44 PM
Master
When I made a major change to my spiritual path I was living with my mom part time. I saw that some of the things would be unfamiliar to her so I asked her if she wanted anything like "updates" as to what I was doing. She said no so I had to respect her decision. Along the way, I told her some things that I thought she'd be okay with but for the most part she has no real idea of what I chose.

To her my altar is a table and my crystal collection is because they're pretty. I told her I meditate and work on my chakras. I explained what they are, their benefits and that anyone can connect with them. She has her own spiritual path and is firmly set on it. I told her chakras and meditation complement her own path and she still won't do it. I'm not sure if she understands but I think she respects my choice as she hasn't shown any signs of being hostile towards what I shared with her. If I confronted her and challenged her then I think respect towards each other would not exist.

As for the rest of my family I haven't even got that far with them and I don't want to as they're set in their ways.

We're all on our own individual spiritual paths. Sometimes we can share and other times we cannot. It's up to us to use our discretion as to what we share and with whom. For the things I haven't shared, I tend to slide it under the radar as much as I can.

I hope my little story helps.