Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 12-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Lorelyen

Black magick seems to exist as a stereotype thanks to religions that had to portray it as bad. As (most) religions lose their power a realisation emerges that many currents/cults/paths that were formerly designated black magick are in fact just magick or uncoloured spiritual paths, having nothing necessarily to do with bad or evil.

My own experience with sorcery in younger years had an effect on me rather similar to Jenny Crow's. As for sorcery itself it helped me understand a great deal about the dark side, my own and that of the universe (hence relationship to it). One works...whether the intent is good or bad is always just a viewpoint

Old 14-04-2016, 08:05 AM
Master
In these pages, you will find a lot of unreasonable expectations of "magic". It is pointless to "learn magic" from books, all you learn is rote rituals. Magic, as such, is the control and direction of natural Earth forces and that takes a long, long time to learn, requiring lots of observation and practice. Experience is all ! My own foundation lasted decades before I observed results.
THERE ARE NO YOUNG WITCHES, SORCERORS, WARLOCKS, SHAMAN, ETC !
Old 14-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Lepus

Hello norseman,

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
In these pages, you will find a lot of unreasonable expectations of "magic". It is pointless to "learn magic" from books, all you learn is rote rituals. Magic, as such, is the control and direction of natural Earth forces and that takes a long, long time to learn, requiring lots of observation and practice. Experience is all ! My own foundation lasted decades before I observed results.
THERE ARE NO YOUNG WITCHES, SORCERORS, WARLOCKS, SHAMAN, ETC !

I like to use books as a framework on how to get started.

Lepus
Old 14-04-2016, 01:56 PM
Lepus

Hello Jenny Crow,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
Lepus, enjoy your reading (and learning). One thing to keep in mind is that when you're reading all these books (at least this is what I have found) is that each author is writing about the tradition that they follow, they are writing from THEIR perspective and understanding. There are many variables, many ways of practicing but you'll begin to notice a thread through them all that connects them..........it's the seeking to connect with 'the other side', as well as divinity and the wildness of nature, and to 'become one' with that energy/power; but also to know, really know, oneself (that sometimes takes years, as in my case) and accepting that self. I'm not doing a very good job of explaining but that's about as close as I can get.

And it's this closeness, this connectedness and even wildness that separates the witch from other people. I have changed so much from who I was as a young woman starting out on the path. Some of the changes have been eye-opening and some much more subtle. My friend, who started out on her journey about twenty or so years ago just discovered another part of herself recently. Some of these changes are psychological, some spiritual, of course and some are on the psychic level.

Anyway, enough said, lol

Thank you.

It is this connectedness that many celebrate the seasonal changes to be in tune with nature - to feel the elements through each changing seasons, and to perform rituals, and magic. This, creates a bond with the practitioner and deity, or deities; each season tells a story, and how we tell it determines what the practitioner believes in. Personally, I have the same approach as norseman, but I view the Sun and Moon as God and Goddess, and the Earth (sacred) as the physical shell created by the union between the two; my focus is on the mundane.

There is Earth energy, personal energy, and divine energy - each being the same source, but in different outlets. Yes, us practitioners will emerge with the energies as one.

Now, to connect with the other side is "traveling between worlds"? To do so, one can travel through journeying, ritual, and trance?

This oneself, can you further elaborate on it?

I also reached an epiphany through reading numerous sources from websites, articles, and books (PDF); the path we take will vary from others, but we all reach the same goal, and that goal is what you mentioned, Jenny.

I have yet to experience any changes (psychologically, spiritually, and psychically), but it is bound to happen.

As for the use of 'black' magic, I do believe to be essential for obvious reasons.

Lepus
Old 15-04-2016, 09:09 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepus
Hello norseman,

I like to use books as a framework on how to get started.

Lepus
There are books and then there are BOOKS ! I do have books, all written by noted academics in certain UK universities. To get a balanced view, read "Triumph of the Moon" - Prof. Ronald Hutton, University of Bristol AND "Popular Magic" - Owen Davies, University of Herts. My own favourite [ more advanced level ] is "Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits" - Emma Wilby, Fellow University of Exeter. There books are all peer reviewed by academics.

Last hint - avoid like the plague all books from authors with obvious made-up names !
Old 15-04-2016, 03:22 PM
Lepus

Hello norseman,

Quote:
There are books and then there are BOOKS ! I do have books, all written by noted academics in certain UK universities. To get a balanced view, read "Triumph of the Moon" - Prof. Ronald Hutton, University of Bristol AND "Popular Magic" - Owen Davies, University of Herts. My own favourite [ more advanced level ] is "Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits" - Emma Wilby, Fellow University of Exeter. There books are all peer reviewed by academics.

Last hint - avoid like the plague all books from authors with obvious made-up names !

I'll look up those books...

Here are my list of books:
The Witches' Bible: The Complete Witches' Handbook by Stewart Farrar & Janet Farrar
Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation by Silver Ravenwolf
Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham
Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham
Wicca for Beginners: Fundamentals of Philosophy & Practice by Thea Sabin
The Temple Of Shamanic Witchcraft Shadows, Spirits and the Healing Journey by Christopher Penczak
The Inner Temple of Witchcraft Magick, Meditation & Psychic Development by Christopher Penczak
The Outer Temple of of Witchcraft Circles, Spells, & Rituals by Christopher Penczak
The Elements of Ritual Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle by Deborah Lipp
Grimoire for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows by Ann Moura
Moon Spells: How to Use the Phases of the Moon to Get What You Want by Diane Ahlquist
Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft (Llewellyn's Practical Magick) by Raymond Buckland

Still waiting for "Traditional Witchcraft: A Cornish Book of Ways." As for today, I am going to online purchase "The Black Toad West Country Witchcraft and Magic" or "The British Book of Spells and Charms
A Compilation of Traditional Folk Magic" by Graham King.

Lepus
Old 04-05-2016, 08:33 PM
Newbie ;)

Silver Ravenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepus
Hello norseman,

I'll look up those books...

Here are my list of books:
The Witches' Bible: The Complete Witches' Handbook by Stewart Farrar & Janet Farrar
Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation by Silver Ravenwolf
Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham
Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham
Wicca for Beginners: Fundamentals of Philosophy & Practice by Thea Sabin
The Temple Of Shamanic Witchcraft Shadows, Spirits and the Healing Journey by Christopher Penczak
The Inner Temple of Witchcraft Magick, Meditation & Psychic Development by Christopher Penczak
The Outer Temple of of Witchcraft Circles, Spells, & Rituals by Christopher Penczak
The Elements of Ritual Air, Fire, Water & Earth in the Wiccan Circle by Deborah Lipp
Grimoire for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows by Ann Moura
Moon Spells: How to Use the Phases of the Moon to Get What You Want by Diane Ahlquist
Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft (Llewellyn's Practical Magick) by Raymond Buckland

Still waiting for "Traditional Witchcraft: A Cornish Book of Ways." As for today, I am going to online purchase "The Black Toad West Country Witchcraft and Magic" or "The British Book of Spells and Charms
A Compilation of Traditional Folk Magic" by Graham King.

Lepus

Teen Witch: Wicca for a New Generation by Silver Ravenwolf was my first book about Wicca. I use it every time I do a ritual because I am just a seeker. It really helped me research and learn about Wicca. Silver Ravenwolf is such a great author! I haven't read any of her other books, but I plan on getting some soon!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Newbie ;)

Names

Quote:

Some authors who write books about Wicca and use "made-up" names are using names given to them by the Wiccan community or they are using their Wiccan name.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:39 AM
Master

I think what Norseman is trying to convey, Ravenfeather, is that many of those authors are of the 'fluffy bunny' ilk. And unfortunately, Silver Ravenwolf is not thought of very highly by experienced practitioners. You'd be better off reading Paul Huson's Mastering Witchcraft
Old 07-05-2016, 12:29 PM
Deactivated Account

Most books reiterate fundamentals from various angles of view so I do not believe one needs a vast library of Pagan, Wicca, Witchcraft books. Our craft is not all that complex that we need tons of books all speaking much the same language. The real mastery of our ancient craft is practice and application. Living our Way of Life is the path to our power.
One need not be religious to be Spiritual. A Wizard commands power to influence probabilities, stands between worlds with one foot on earth and the other in the heavens, is in tune with the Infinite, knows truth and is at peace with self and the Universe.