Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 06-11-2016, 06:21 PM
Seeker

Letting Go

Hell all,

From meditation I have realised that I constantly worry about my career, where it's going, the worry of mistakes I might make, and how I might be seen negatively by my workmates. All this is familiar and stems from my school days. I have been aware of all this for awhile now as it's all fear based, and from a logical standpoint realise I need to let go of my career and its baggage, and I have tried. However it still dominates my thoughts. How can one let go.

Many thanks 😀
Old 06-11-2016, 06:52 PM
Lorelyen

You could also get on top of it. Decide positive - not to worry because you can do what you need to do and, in the ultimate, does it really matter? Ask yourself honestly what worries you? Lack of training? Fearing your skills will get out of date? The workplace and its people? etc.... And of course, do you really want to go on with it? Would others' welfare be threatened if you chucked it? (Like, a family.)

There's a Royal Marines (UK) saying: there's no bravery without fear which here could mean when you're faced with deciding on action, go in bravely. The fear is there but you can only do your best.
If you make the wrong choice what could the consequence be? Unless it's something very nasty then you can learn. You'd review your decision relative to the outcome and derive what you can from it.

The trouble is that career often comes with corporations. Unless you're at (what they like to call:) the "top" you'll always be beholden to middle management and its foibles and some of those foibles are a waste of time - like annual assessments... keeps the HR people off the welfare queue, giving them something to do as it does!

As a freelancer I still think I have a career of sorts... nothing to do with climbing the managerial ladder obviously. I occasionally employ help but I wouldn't want to be in command of staff. In the firm I started with it was "being seen to be doing" this or that which contributed nothing much to the firm's goals including productive work. Not so good at office politics I had to get out....which wasn't without its trepidations!

But if you really need to let go the first stage would seem to be deciding, through meditation and contemplation, what you ideally see yourself doing and being. Then objectifying that through visualisation and meditation. See yourself in your (ideal) situation; examine it to be sure it is (at this point) what you want, then visualise it happening in its various stages.

Well, that's the recipe I'd follow... indeed did follow. I didn't see myself becoming very rich though I wanted to put enough by for rainy days and later life so I could retire without stress. I saw myself enjoying the work I did with a readiness to adapt quickly if money ran short, to do mundane jobs until things recovered. Harder work but harder enjoyment too!
Having said that, I'm not in a dissimilar position. Will I want to go on with this in, say, 15 years' time? Would I even be able to what with the rate everything changes around me? So I too set aside time to think about it.

Others may have better suggestions. Let's see.....

Old 06-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar81
Hell all,

From meditation I have realised that I constantly worry about my career, where it's going, the worry of mistakes I might make, and how I might be seen negatively by my workmates. All this is familiar and stems from my school days. I have been aware of all this for awhile now as it's all fear based, and from a logical standpoint realise I need to let go of my career and its baggage, and I have tried. However it still dominates my thoughts. How can one let go.

Many thanks ��

I will help you.

You must come to understand that what is let go doesn't mean it disappears.

What is important will re-surface.

Career is apparently important to you.

Do not focus on letting it go in the way a person lets go of trash.
Focus on letting it go like a yo-yo.
actually let it go like both. Release it like trash, without the intent for it to come back. But in your heart of hearts know that what is important will be separated by your sub-conscious and what is important will yoyo, what is trash will be let go.

If you feel bad in your stomach, the negative kind of butterflies, the clenching feeling like stress, then you should try again because there is a piece of information that you are missing. Perhaps something you see as trash keeps coming up as a yoyo, you and your subconscious disagree, so you should seek to understand where the disagreement is before leaving meditation. Or risk having a pretty bad day because of the constant sub-conscious gnawing feeling that something is not right. Perhaps during sleep the answer will be revealed. The more a person ignores their inner self the more pain they experience.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:07 PM
Seeker

Hello again lorelyen,

Thank you for that. I seem to go through periods of being very positive, thinking to myself it's only a job just enjoy it, why am I wasting time and energy worrying. Some days I feel like quitting and other days I feel like a promotion. Im just gobsmaked how it has dominated so much of my thoughts, I really believe there is more to life than being like this, and I will take you advise onboard.

Thanks again
Old 06-11-2016, 07:16 PM
Seeker

Hi shivatar,

Sounds interesting thank you, that is exactly what is happening, it re-surfaces and then I get back sucked in to career obsession of thought. Not a good way to be especially when I'm neglecting other people in my life, never present and lost in thought, but at least I'm aware of it.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Master
Why is career an obsession of thought?

As far as I know a career is very important in the spiritual evolution of a soul.

It sounds like you are obsessing over having spiritual thoughts, expecting your self to live a nigh perfect life. One that is entirely present, focused, aware, etc.

It seems to me that you are doing fine, and perhaps you have conflicting thoughts/desires.

You say you have other people in your life. but you want enlightenment.

enlightenment says you do not need others in your life, and you should let them go.

The buddha let his own son walk out of his life.

Unless you are ready to sacrifice like the Buddha, you should not seek the prize of the Buddhas.

perhaps you enjoy what you have now. A very respectable amount of enlightenment, and a very warming family. For many sages and saints that is enough. Ask why it is not enough for you, and answer that question during meditation.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:13 PM
Ascender
If you have a wheel and you want it to spin what works better? .... holding onto it at all times and turning it hand over hand?.... or letting it go and just giving it a push every now and then.