Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 18-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Deactivated Account
Smile

I wish my english was as good as yours! Your Chinese must be incredible!
Old 18-05-2013, 11:15 PM
icy_su

Quote:
Originally Posted by running
I'm enjoying and understand what your saying about doing good things and living in the moment. I'm only asking some things so I have a better understanding of what the process and objective. You haven't mentioned anything about bliss so here are my thoughts and questions.

If someone is in bliss how is there much room for anything other than good thoughts and feeling happy? I'm asking because you say its more than being thoughtless but haven't mentioned how one feels. Are you speaking of a state without bliss? Its been my experience that bliss is what makes the mind quiet. And squashes suffering. Meaning its hard to suffer if you feel good. To go beyond suffering. I thought Buddhism was about freeing oneself from suffering. I would imagine then bliss is what Buddhist are searching for. Am I correct or am I lost somewhere? I'm not a Buddhist so I'm just going by here say.

Hi Running,

Thanks for your post and kind words.

Before answering your question, can I bother you go give your definition of bliss? Just so that we will be on the same page.

Kind regards,
Icy
Old 18-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by icy_su
Hi Running,

Thanks for your post and kind words.

Before answering your question, can I bother you go give your definition of bliss? Just so that we will be on the same page.

Kind regards,
Icy

For me it feels as if a fountain of intoxicating liquid is coming from within myself. I feel it as me and its as if I'm making love to myself. Or swimming inside myself. I feel myself as the liquid and its joyful. Like a natural drug without ill efffects. I cant not feel it so I'm continualy intoxicated. I feel full. I have met other people who feel the same way. It seems to swallow up ill feelings. Its hard not to feel good. When things are bad I still feel it. Everything is the same as it was before feeling this way except now its hard to feel bad for very long. It gets swallowed up in the bliss. Because I feel good its hard to hold onto ill feelings. If they come they get swallowed up. From what I understand its the result of working the energy thru the nervous system. The nervous system is what makes it happen on a physical level.
Old 18-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Deactivated Account
I was kinda thinking perhaps Buddhists refer to feeling this way as emptyness sense the terminology seems to be without a self. Perhaps its what happens when your becoming emptyer. I could think of it that way because what I thought was me is now dead or empty. And this other thing replaced it. I'm trying to describe it in aBuddhist way except I don't know how to. My apologys
Old 19-05-2013, 12:41 AM
icy_su

Quote:
Originally Posted by running
For me it feels as if a fountain of intoxicating liquid is coming from within myself. I feel it as me and its as if I'm making love to myself. Or swimming inside myself. I feel myself as the liquid and its joyful. Like a natural drug without ill efffects. I cant not feel it so I'm continualy intoxicated. I feel full. I have met other people who feel the same way. It seems to swallow up ill feelings. Its hard not to feel good. When things are bad I still feel it. Everything is the same as it was before feeling this way except now its hard to feel bad for very long. It gets swallowed up in the bliss. Because I feel good its hard to hold onto ill feelings. If they come they get swallowed up. From what I understand its the result of working the energy thru the nervous system. The nervous system is what makes it happen on a physical level.

Hi Running,

Do you feel this way when you meditate or in your daily life? Are you actually feeling it or not? As you are saying " I cant not feel it so I'm continualy intoxicated." änd also it seems you are feeling the bliss.

Well, no matter you are feeling it or not, it is always good that there's something that helps you to promote positive feelings and extinguish negative ones, isn't it?

In Buddhism, the feeling of becoming more and more relaxed and joyful is all along the way of practicing. You will see the masters are very wise and peaceful. You cannot irritate them. It's because they feel the peace and joy in heart, and won't be attacked by hatred, greed or delusion.

We certainly have corresponding term in Buddhism, although I do not know exactly what is the best to match your description. Actually I do not spend much time to memorize all those terms on different achievements of Buddhism. For me, it's not important. It's like walking in a pleasant way. What's important is the way you enjoy the journey, not the name of each mile, right? As long as you are sure you are in the right path and you are enjoying what you experience, it's all that you need.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,
Icy
Old 19-05-2013, 12:52 AM
icy_su

Quote:
Hi Running,

Do you feel this way when you meditate or in your daily life? Are you actually feeling it or not? As you are saying " I cant not feel it so I'm continualy intoxicated." änd also it seems you are feeling the bliss.

Well, no matter you are feeling it or not, it is always good that there's something that helps you to promote positive feelings and extinguish negative ones, isn't it?

In Buddhism, the feeling of becoming more and more relaxed and joyful is all along the way of practicing. You will see the masters are very wise and peaceful. You cannot irritate them. It's because they feel the peace and joy in heart, and won't be attacked by hatred, greed or delusion.

We certainly have corresponding term in Buddhism, although I do not know exactly what is the best to match your description. Actually I do not spend much time to memorize all those terms on different achievements of Buddhism. For me, it's not important. It's like walking in a pleasant way. What's important is the way you enjoy the journey, not the name of each mile, right? As long as you are sure you are in the right path and you are enjoying what you experience, it's all that you need.

Kind regards,
Icy

And also, people may feel differently in terms of the Bliss. I can only share my personal experience with you. I used to be a quite depressed person. The two years of Buddhism practice has changed me a lot. I become much more calm and joyful, tolerant and generous. So I know I am on the right way. But such things come naturally. I do not have the feeling of intoxicating substance coming out, and floating in liquid feeling~~ For me, it's a natural change of personality. However, it's actually very hard to change a one's personality, without proper methodology. I am very grateful for what Buddhism had given me.

Best,
Icy
Old 19-05-2013, 04:39 AM
vision

icy su ,
Thank you for sharing about Buddhist practices...the eightfold path, right?
Tho I'm not a Buddhist, I feel most religions have the same goal of spiritual
evolvement, practiced in different ways. I belong to a church but my beliefs
are too universal to be put in a box. I call myself a spiritual person rather
than a religious one.

I feel I was a Buddhist in a past life. When I was a child, age 6, my Dad was
stationed in Japan. I was always sneaking out of the house exploring. Many
times I could be found at a Buddhist temple....of course the sweet rice cake
offerings were a draw ( I even helped myself to some). Mostly I was so
fascinated & the peace was wonderful. My husband was also a military man
so in my late 20s we lived in Japan. Once again the temples drew me. We
took trip to the isle of Miagima? where there was a giant statue of Buddha.
I felt like I was out of my body wrapped in this immense love. This is one of
the most powerful spiritual feelings I've ever had.
So continue to share your beautiful spirit with all of us!
Old 19-05-2013, 06:20 AM
icy_su

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision
icy su ,
Thank you for sharing about Buddhist practices...the eightfold path, right?
Tho I'm not a Buddhist, I feel most religions have the same goal of spiritual
evolvement, practiced in different ways. I belong to a church but my beliefs
are too universal to be put in a box. I call myself a spiritual person rather
than a religious one.

I feel I was a Buddhist in a past life. When I was a child, age 6, my Dad was
stationed in Japan. I was always sneaking out of the house exploring. Many
times I could be found at a Buddhist temple....of course the sweet rice cake
offerings were a draw ( I even helped myself to some). Mostly I was so
fascinated & the peace was wonderful. My husband was also a military man
so in my late 20s we lived in Japan. Once again the temples drew me. We
took trip to the isle of Miagima? where there was a giant statue of Buddha.
I felt like I was out of my body wrapped in this immense love. This is one of
the most powerful spiritual feelings I've ever had.
So continue to share your beautiful spirit with all of us!

Dear Vision,

It's such a pleasure to read your post. It made me smile to imgine a cute little girl sneaking into the temple and helping herself to a little sweet rice cake~~ :-)

I somehow understand your feeling. Until several years ago, I thought I believe in some universal religion. I learnt Christianity, Buddhism and a little Toaism, and I liked them all, although I didn't seriously follow any of them. And till today, I still like all these religions. Let me tell you my story of going into Buddhism

Two years ago, I was in NYC. At that time, I was physically sick and there was a very very important exam coming, which would decide my career and more. I knew if I continue to be sick, there was no hope to pass it. There was a long story of my sickness. In short, it was just a kind of sickness that no western doctor, Chinese traditional doctor, or phycholocial doctor could explain why.

I knew the hardship ahead, and my only hope was that maybe if I rested myself enough, my body would heal herself. So I decided to just lie in bed, sleep and relax. One night, I dreamt about an old man, asking me to worship Buddha. I did in dream, but did not in reality. And the other night, I was lying in bed, listening to music and playing with iphone. I had a Buddhist song in my iphone, which had been there for years. I generall listened to it the way I listened to pop music. However, at that night, when the music began, I could not help crying. I could not explain why. It was not out of saddness. I cried hard till the end of the music.

I was confused and surprised by my reaction to the music. Then I thought of my dream. And then I remembered the next day was Quan-yin Buddha's birthday. So I decided that I would go to the temple the next day.

There was a ceremony in temple. People chanted a scripture of Quan-yin Buddha. Basically the scripture says, Quan-yin Buddha helps all living beings with her great compassion. When you have difficulty, chant her name and she will help. I had seen the scripture long before but didn't take it seriously. I thought it was just a comforting story that could be told to babies at the craddle. But on that day, I suddenly understood Buddha's great compassion, and I decided to give it a try.

So I began to chant "na mo Quan-shi-yin Buddha" in heart from that day till now. I passed the exam, and my sickness has been largly recovered. I got my ideal job and I settled in a city I like. I am 100% sure that without Buddha's help, it was impossible to pass the exam.

This is my story.

Best,
Icy
Old 19-05-2013, 06:23 AM
icy_su

To clarify a bit -- Pure Land Buddhism is more than chanting Buddha's name, although it's a major part.
Old 19-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Deactivated Account
Its all the time but it is stronger if I'm more focused on it. So meditation makes it stronger.

Quote:
Hi Running,

Kind regards,
Icy