Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 14-04-2012, 01:21 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
Does this argument not justify mankind's thinking that God is no smarter than than they are? One could also argue that a finite man is unable to comprehend or perceive infinite wisdom, that is, in proving that there is no good reason for allowing evil. Otherwise the argument or charge of contradiction could also entail that man claims to be infinite in wisdom yet denies the very same existence in God by claiming that there's no good reason. The irony!

So, giving God the benefit of the doubt and assuming he's smarter than us.... which statement in the proof do you disagree with?

Do you disagree that God is omnipotent and omnibenevolent?

Do you disagree that evil exists?

Do you disagree that God wants to prevent evil?

Do you disagree that God CAN prevent evil?

Where exactly is this argument making its arrogant leap?
that which is within you will destroy you."

- The Gospel of Thomas (70)

http://pathstoknowledge.com
Old 14-04-2012, 02:37 AM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Keith
So, giving God the benefit of the doubt and assuming he's smarter than us.... which statement in the proof do you disagree with?

Do you disagree that God is omnipotent and omnibenevolent?

Do you disagree that evil exists?

Do you disagree that God wants to prevent evil?

Do you disagree that God CAN prevent evil?

Where exactly is this argument making its arrogant leap?

I wouldn't of used the word arrogant, but I had to ponder upon the word a bit. Don't you think that there is a tad bit of arrogance for those outside of God's favor, where we are really even arguing that God does not exists? Where those are, that have the, "I am better than you" attitude and approach to God, or in the process of decision making by not understanding that their exists higher reasons? I mean, my first thoughts were that of the will we have that is not of God, our freedom, our self, our own will, and our "right" to exercise it apart from God.

The word omnipotent and the taking of freedom away, is that truly characteristic of omnipotence? I guess another thought is how God can and has used a lying spirit for good, but if God Himself can't lie is He omnipotent? Could God change us, well Yes, and He does when one repents and becomes a believer, but not in the same context of a forced change to rid evil of the world.

The suffering and pain, the teachings in life through these that allows us to endure and realize the preciousness of life. Yet without God, there is no evil for there exists no standard of right and wrong...

I guess if I would have called this argument arrogant it would be reminiscent of the people who chastised Jesus for delaying or not getting to Lazarus sooner. The evil in the world that I can think of is nothing but an opportunity for God's glory, that it might be seen.

I don't deny that there is evil in the world, Hitler, 911, those things come to mind. Love is patient and kind, the opposite of arrogance. We have a life time to repent. How glorious is our God in that we have an entire life time where He is patient and slow to anger when we separate ourselves, by our own free will, yet, by our own free choice, will ourselves back through Christ?

Think'n out loud Rev. Keith....
Old 14-04-2012, 03:02 AM
Mary Baker

http://www.oberf.org/mary_b's_ste.htmIf we are defending belief in the “God of the Bible” we will have a lot of varying concepts of to defend (not God himself). Various people who read the Bible wind up with greatly varying concepts.

First pleading the caveat that the only thing possible to KNOW is that I exist, as Descartes pointed out, but I believe as definitely as I believe anything, that God exists because I have personally experienced him. He was not a stranger to me., but One I knew well, knew his essence and suddenly recognized him. He is completely to be trusted.
(Experience #1 in link)

The nearest I have any inkling as to the problem of evil is it exists in our level of spiritual understanding and should be treated as very real with real consequences, but that things are different in the Light of Eternity which we seldom experience at our current level.

(Experience # 5 in link)

http://www.oberf.org/mary_b's_ste.htm

Quote:
My water supply at the time was an old iron pitcher pump in the back yard where I pumped the handle up and down with my water bucket hung on the spout. I was starting to pump water when I casually observed a reddish looking weed growing at the base of the pump. It had doubtless been there all summer and was in no way an exceptional weed, I think it even had some blighted leaves or maybe a bug bite or two. I was in no way meditating on the existence of the weed or anything else, but suddenly it was as if a light switched on and that I had been viewing all in a twilight dimness and only seeing a blurred suggestion of the real world. For just the briefest blinding instant everything was glorious. The weed was utter perfection, everything to the uttermost of the cosmos was revealed to my consciousness and it was just as it should be. ALL WAS WELL. Then the light switched off, more as if it had been a lightening flash revealing all clearly and now it was gone, but I had the memory of the reality I could no longer see.

There is a thing called faith. We are told in the Bible it is impossible to please God without it. (Read Hebrews chapter 11.) I believe all is well and still believe in the existence of evil and our duty to flee from it and pursue love with our lives. I don’t know how both can be true at once, but I am only human.
Old 14-04-2012, 03:05 AM
TeeHee

Old 14-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Master
Be kind, dont argue guys my thread was not for that. Chill out..
Old 14-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Occultist

So you want me to prove to you a that the spaghetti monster exists?
Okay I am game.
1. go get a stick, Throw it down on the ground. What did it do? What no snake?
2. go to your nearest bed of water and walk on it.
3. I will give you 24 hours to cure all the blind people in the world.
4. Raise the dead, Go to your nearest cemetery and just call someone out of there coffin.
5, OOO Turn water into wine lately?
6, Do you or have you ever seen a Talking Donkey?
7, when was the last time you seen a flaming Bush not getting burned? Keep it clean pls. :-)
It would be easier just to prove to us your God exists..