Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 04-05-2020, 11:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsun
I get your 'point'. You do not seem to get mine, however. In the context presented by such article, I restate: you and I and 'Brahman' (as well!) are always 'in' (ever-unfolding, ever-expanding-revelation!) being-becoming process - there cannot be and so there is no 'ultimate' 'realization' (call it 'fulfillment' or anything else you wish to) in terms of what 'self' or 'Brahman' actually is. I reiterate: IMO, anyone who thinks or feels or believes they are or are headed towards living such 'ultimacy' is living in a 'cocoon' of delusion, walled off from as well as, by virtue of what they proclaim, promoting 'ignorance' of 'greater' possibilities (this includes the author of what's said in the article which I partially agreed with).
You agree and I agree that it is all about the realization of ultimate/absolute reality or truth.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:14 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Here's the kicker, the big reveal.

Without Maya there is only experience of absence. Maya is a power of the Absolute that provides the Absolute a rich experience of Itself.

Realize the nature of Maya but don't reject Maya. In essence it's rejecting one's Self or at least one's experience of one's Self. Unless I suppose one wants to spend one's life in a cave in the Himalayas or hut on the Ganges in 24x7 Samadhi. By the way, Vivekananda thought that a huge waste and in effect selfish. He advocated selfless engagement.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Here's the kicker, the big reveal.

Without Maya there is only experience of absence. Maya is a power of the Absolute that provides the Absolute a rich experience of Itself.

Realize the nature of Maya but don't reject Maya. In essence it's rejecting one's Self or at least one's experience of one's Self. Unless I suppose one wants to spend one's life in a cave in the Himalayas or hut on the Ganges in 24x7 Samadhi. By the way, Vivekananda thought that a huge waste and in effect selfish. He advocated selfless engagement.
Maya is ignorance caused by mithya (false beliefs or the lack of beliefs of Brahman-ultimate reality or false conditioning about Brahman-ultimate reality). Take away both Maya and mithya and you have truth/brahman.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:58 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS80
Maya is ignorance caused by mithya (false beliefs or the lack of beliefs of Brahman-ultimate reality or false conditioning about Brahman-ultimate reality). Take away both Maya and mithya and you have truth/brahman.
Ultimate reality can also be called objective reality. Objective reality is free from both false beliefs or the lack of beliefs of Brahman-ultimate reality or false conditioning about Brahman-ultimate reality, which causes ignorance of ultimate reality. I use Objective in the following definitions from
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/objective

Definition of objective (Entry 1 of 2)
1a: expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations
objective art
an objective history of the war
an objective judgment
bof a test : limited to choices of fixed alternatives and reducing subjective factors to a minimum
Each question on the objective test requires the selection of the correct answer from among several choices.
2a: of, relating to, or being an object, phenomenon, or condition in the realm of sensible experience independent of individual thought and perceptible by all observers : having reality independent of the mind
objective reality
… our reveries … are significantly and repeatedly shaped by our transactions with the objective world.
— Marvin Reznikoff
Old 04-05-2020, 01:51 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Ultimate reality can also be called objective reality. Objective reality is free from both false beliefs or the lack of beliefs of Brahman-ultimate reality or false conditioning about Brahman-ultimate reality, which causes ignorance of ultimate reality. I use Objective in the following definitions from
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/objective

Definition of objective (Entry 1 of 2)
1a: expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations
objective art
an objective history of the war
an objective judgment
bof a test : limited to choices of fixed alternatives and reducing subjective factors to a minimum
Each question on the objective test requires the selection of the correct answer from among several choices.
2a: of, relating to, or being an object, phenomenon, or condition in the realm of sensible experience independent of individual thought and perceptible by all observers : having reality independent of the mind
objective reality
… our reveries … are significantly and repeatedly shaped by our transactions with the objective world.
— Marvin Reznikoff

Objective reality is Maya. That's at the core of Advaita.

https://youtu.be/ske-PYBCq54
Old 04-05-2020, 02:06 PM
Master
Quote:
Objective reality is Maya. That's at the core of Advaita.

https://youtu.be/ske-PYBCq54
That is Mithya (false beliefs). You might as well say brahman is Maya-ignrance. Please do not confuse maya or ignarance with Mithya-False beliefs.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:09 PM
Master
Quote:
You agree and I agree that it is all about the realization of ultimate/absolute reality or truth.
No we don't agree. In my view, it (LIFE, experience, expression, being, doing, becoming, reality, etc,) is all subjective, i.e. fluid, hence eternally ever-evolving, subjectivity in action. There is no 'ultimate' in this regard.

See http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...15#post1929615
Old 04-05-2020, 02:14 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
That is Mithya (false beliefs). You might as well say brahman is Maya-ignrance. Please do not confuse maya or ignarance with Mithya-False beliefs.

You cannot objectify Consciousness (It's purely subjective), and since you are stating that's the ultimate reality then ultimate reality is subjective, not objective. The minute you objectify you limit within the constraints of time, space and causation. Stating ultimate reality is objective reality is the little version of God, not Brahman. It's the manifest, not the Unmanifest.

This is the basic starting point (and end point) of Advaita/non-duality.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Saying maya means illusion or not real is misinformation. Mithya, which means false is the correct word to use. I wonder if this bait and switch tactic was done on purpose to create confusion and conflicts?...Hmmmm
Old 04-05-2020, 02:30 PM
Master
Quote:
You cannot objectify Consciousness (It's purely subjective), and since you are stating that's the ultimate reality then ultimate reality is subjective, not objective. The minute you objectify you limit within the constraints of time, space and causation. Stating ultimate reality is objective reality is the little version of God, not Brahman. It's the manifest, not the Unmanifest.

This is the basic starting point (and end point) of Advaita/non-duality.
Read the definitions I gave for objective in my post, subjective is the opposite of those definitions.

Definition of subjective:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/subjective

4a(1): peculiar to a particular individual : PERSONAL
subjective judgments
(2): modified or affected by personal views, experience, or background
a subjective account of the incident.