Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 29-08-2016, 05:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow.sprinkles
I've been quietly following this thread and thought I'd finally say hi.

I recently lost some weight that I had gained from developing metabolic syndrome due to taking an atypical antipsychotic, and 5 months ago I started following a heavy lifting program called Stronglifts 5x5 as an attempt at body recomposition. I very much enjoy it, it's excellent therapy lol. the program consists of heavy squats, bench press, bent over rows, overhead press, and deadlifts. my OHP is currently at 55lbs, my bench 80lbs, bentover row 100lbs, squat 145 and I'm deadlifting 150. I do a lot of walking as well, no other cardio or accessory exercises or anything. I just love lifting that heavy ****! :)

Yep, that class of drugs has severe side effects when used over the longer term, and frankly, they are over prescribed to people who could benefit from alternative strategies.

Your exercises are THE BEST. There are two Japanese guys who come to my gym, and they are typical of Japanese physique, small and thin, but as training partners they work on the heavy compound lifts, and can lift more than most of the bulky looking body builders.

In my case, mobility issues prevent me from deadlifting and squatting safely, and left shoulder mobility greatly reduces my overhead press, which is about 35 lbs total (includes bar). Hight reps though - at least 12 up to 16.

I think you've been bit by the 'iron bug'.

I tell ya, lifting stuff wot is heavy changed me, and after just two months I'm getting many rewards physically, emotionally and aesthetically. It made me take up a proper athletic diet as well, so it crosses all aspects the physical and psychic life.
Old 29-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Master
Today I started on a proper diet plan, which is 5 meals a day totaling 500g cooked chicken, 500g brown rice (cooked), and 4 handfuls of assorted veg. Not to mention, brekky in addition to that, 3 eggs, 1 slice wholemeal toast and mushroom/spinach stirfried. I pack the meals in those small rectangle takeout containers and, like, 4 ration packs innit. It may sound monotonous and bland, but I'm only interested in cost effective fuel, and with some soy sauce to salt it, Bob's your uncle.

I eat one every 2.5 -3 hours. The 1st 'ration pack' at 10 am (second meal) was pretty hard to eat, but I stuck to the program anyway, with a long black from the cafe. The rest were easy because I was actually hungry for those.

I probably have to work it out again and make sure I'm getting the intake right, but it's a good plan, feels very energetic.
Old 30-08-2016, 09:57 AM
Master
Today was abs day. It is a core workout basically, but I also work that on back day. The abs/core has a primary function of holding the body stable, and it also serves to move the spine both as bend ad a twist, so some of my exercise is just holding, like planks and also hold cable weights still, and then there's the moving exercises. The body needs both because the core functions in two basic ways.

It's a killer. Abs day is not the fun day. I was also a bit off, not high with energy or enthusiasm, but these are the days where one learns about making an effort, to push through because the routine has to be kept. I had to watch the negative voice, that internal complainer which tries to make me quit, put it off, tells me I 'deserve' a rest day. There is a liar there that tries to trick and deceive, and one best not obey that voice. The question is, who's the boss? I can't be obedient to the whims of mentality. I made the commitment and I am empowered to that determination, and I can, and shall, follow through.

And for what end?, As now I sit just to feel the pain of the body, and go deeper as this is the sensation of transformation - the very essence of improvement - so from a deeper place, I feel a happiness because I persist, and there is that which tells me, you can, you will, and there is nothing, no sensation or thought in the mind, that can prevent this determination. Today I simply proved this true.
Old 31-08-2016, 09:16 AM
Master
Chest day.

Chest day is perhaps my favorite day. The only compound exercise is bench press, and that's pretty fun. I do a buttload of benchpress sets. 3 flat bench, 3 on incline and 3 on decline. I'm happy because I have added weight to the bar, only 15 kg, but that 15 kg more than 3 weeks ago, and to think, I couldn't do a set with the bar alone when I started about 6 weeks ago. Shoulder mobility issues adversely affect my press, but I work on shoulders every week, and in time it will all come together and - BooM! I mean, if you have to have man boobs, then solid muscle ones are preferable right?
Old 31-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Chest day.

Chest day is perhaps my favorite day. The only compound exercise is bench press, and that's pretty fun. I do a buttload of benchpress sets. 3 flat bench, 3 on incline and 3 on decline. I'm happy because I have added weight to the bar, only 15 kg, but that 15 kg more than 3 weeks ago, and to think, I couldn't do a set with the bar alone when I started about 6 weeks ago. Shoulder mobility issues adversely affect my press, but I work on shoulders every week, and in time it will all come together and - BooM! I mean, if you have to have man boobs, then solid muscle ones are preferable right?

Push up's are really good for tightening the chest muscles, can't say it's too beneficial for las ladies.

I never lift more than 8 pounds on each arm( prefer to use my own body weight) this is preferred technique to stay slim/toned ( plus I am a shorty). Right now I am focusing on push ups. Love them..
Old 31-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Yep, that class of drugs has severe side effects when used over the longer term, and frankly, they are over prescribed to people who could benefit from alternative strategies.

Your exercises are THE BEST. There are two Japanese guys who come to my gym, and they are typical of Japanese physique, small and thin, but as training partners they work on the heavy compound lifts, and can lift more than most of the bulky looking body builders.

In my case, mobility issues prevent me from deadlifting and squatting safely, and left shoulder mobility greatly reduces my overhead press, which is about 35 lbs total (includes bar). Hight reps though - at least 12 up to 16.

I think you've been bit by the 'iron bug'.

I tell ya, lifting stuff wot is heavy changed me, and after just two months I'm getting many rewards physically, emotionally and aesthetically. It made me take up a proper athletic diet as well, so it crosses all aspects the physical and psychic life.

yeah I'm on an SSRI now which is actually helping, surprisingly. the last time I tried antidepressants they made me suicidal. I still take a very small dose of Seroquel just as a sleep aid, I hardly sleep at all without prescription sedatives.

I definitely have been, I was never one for doing anything athletic or working out and was seriously opposed to being one of those people who goes to the gym, even after hitting my 30s and seeing all of my friends starting to do it. but I found out about lifting and recomp through the website that I track my food on and now I genuinely enjoy going to the gym and pushing my body. still not one for running or anything else, but I think I'll always be a lifter. I have awesome definition in my shoulders and biceps already, just waiting on the abs now lol.
Old 31-08-2016, 11:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover
Push up's are really good for tightening the chest muscles, can't say it's too beneficial for las ladies.

I never lift more than 8 pounds on each arm( prefer to use my own body weight) this is preferred technique to stay slim/toned ( plus I am a shorty). Right now I am focusing on push ups. Love them..

I'm not all that strong, so by 190 lb body weight is a lot to move, but I will start doing pushups on an incline to start with.

Thanks.
Old 31-08-2016, 11:25 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow.sprinkles
yeah I'm on an SSRI now which is actually helping, surprisingly. the last time I tried antidepressants they made me suicidal. I still take a very small dose of Seroquel just as a sleep aid, I hardly sleep at all without prescription sedatives.

I definitely have been, I was never one for doing anything athletic or working out and was seriously opposed to being one of those people who goes to the gym, even after hitting my 30s and seeing all of my friends starting to do it. but I found out about lifting and recomp through the website that I track my food on and now I genuinely enjoy going to the gym and pushing my body. still not one for running or anything else, but I think I'll always be a lifter. I have awesome definition in my shoulders and biceps already, just waiting on the abs now lol.

Right, SSRI probably isn't going to have severe side effects compared to seroquel, but really, we all have our ow sets of life issues and our ow sets of solutions - and moving heavy weights is to say, It's hard but I can. It is a meaning where we see in real life that there's always another kilo, and when people ask how much I deadlift, I just answer, All of it! hahaha.

My paunch is the part I like least about my reflection, hence I want abs most of all, but I figure if I just keep working out, it's bound to get better.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Master
Legs day.

As usual I spent 1/2 an hour working with the squat motion, as I can't quite perform the full range of that movement, ad then I just burnt out on leg press, ham curls, calf raises, lunges and so on.

My body weight has started increasing, so I hope that is muscle gain and not fat.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:55 AM
Master
Sounds like your doing well.

I was at the chiro today and he shared something from his workshop he had attended which made me think about your shoulder issue. I am noticing my weakness in body on one side more so and my shoulder often reflects this also.

He shared that if you stand up against a wall, with your body and head against it, your in a much more conscious upright position (meaning the wall shows you how to lean upright more so)then do some extensions upward with your arms this way. It not only extends the body and trains the body to build itself more erect, but it trains the brain as well to remember.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder