Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 13-11-2020, 11:00 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
The Buddha they are talking about is not fat..........

The Buddha of the Future, Maitreya, is often depicted as being fat.
From what I have seen on this Forum, there is almost no interest in Maitreya..... but I like him a lot.

There are other variations of who 'might' be the fat Buddha. In the East, these names and statutes have different meaning. It is a personal thing. One person 'sees' this and another person 'sees' that.

As for Maitreya....... I had a small statute of him in my pocket. I called him Maitreya and a friend of mine called him Maitreya/Hotei. I got into a bind once, and it was that statue that saved my hide...... which is another story.

Good points. The story of Siddhartha had him living as an ascetic for a long time barely eating anything at all, starving himself, so if I had to guess that Buddha was skinny. I read somewhere the "fat buddha" is depicted that way to represent abundance.
Old 13-11-2020, 11:08 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelyn
I'd add that in the "astral world" or where we go between physical lives, energy, which is what we are in substance, is segregated. Conscious energy is grouped so we are with others around the same levels as ourselves. We simply don't associate with lower energies unless we choose to if we are in some kind of teacher role.

On earth, all levels inter-mingle so we have to learn ways to deal with negative energies or people. A lot of monks and nuns and other people devoted to spiritual pursuits isolate themselves from others and from the world in some cases. Higher souls tend to avoid living in cities, and instead live in very small towns or isolated places. Also, like in the case of monks and nuns, limit their exposure to certain things, like violent movies, news, tv, and so forth.

Some things (and people) simply carry high amounts of negative energies and one will pick up and carry such if one comes into contact with them. You can notice after such an encounter it can take a day or so for that negative energy to dissipate or no longer be felt on some way. So with some things and people, the best route is to avoid contact if you can in some way.

Of course karma often puts us into close proximity to "negative" types, through family associations, and in that case karma plays out as it will.
Yes.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 13-11-2020, 11:13 PM
A fat Buddha I always saw as,
''Being happy, who cares; fat, thin... none of it matters, laugh, Enjoy!''

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 13-11-2020, 11:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Good points. The story of Siddhartha had him living as an ascetic for a long time barely eating anything at all, starving himself, so if I had to guess that Buddha was skinny. I read somewhere the "fat buddha" is depicted that way to represent abundance.

2 different guys.
Old 13-11-2020, 11:19 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant
Question to everyone,
Why was this buddha fat?

The Buddha question was answered but it's a good question. There are many "guru's" past and present who were/are overweight.

If these "guru's" are beyond desire, pleasure, why did they get fat and stay that way? Why can't they stop overeating? Stop eating sugary things and carbs?

I don't really have an answer. I don't know why. I'm like 15 pounds over weight...well 11 today as I am dieting...and it isn't easy to lose it. But yea it is doable with some will power.

I just eat one meal a day like many Zen monks do, to lose weight.
Old 13-11-2020, 11:26 PM
Master
Quote:
In one sense nothing changes, but then in another sense, everything changes.

I guess the difference is between trying to change everything and letting everything change

Quote:
"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water." Zen Saying

Someone doing the dishes and worrying about their problems, worrying about how they look, worrying about their lack of a romance, thinking about bad things someone else said about them, is very different from doing the dishes without a care in the world, without paying attention to any thoughts, instead joyfully looking at the clear magical water dancing over the surfaces of the dishes as you scrub.

Imagine waking up in the morning, and having not one thing you have to do that day, not one idea of what needs to be done, no concerns about yourself or anything else. Completely at home in your own skin and your own life, no thoughts of change or one thing wrong with you or anything else. Everything perfect as it is. Just amazed at being alive. Filled with wonder and amazement at the beauty of everything.

Perhaps, as is the case for most of us, near enough all of us, there are agitations along with life issues that remain unresolved. Everyone is like that in their own way, and I'm all about the truth of what we are like just as we are now.
Old 14-11-2020, 12:48 AM
ant

Quote:
If these "guru's" are beyond desire, pleasure, why did they get fat and stay that way? Why can't they stop overeating? Stop eating sugary things and carbs?

I don't really have an answer. I don't know why. I'm like 15 pounds over weight...well 11 today as I am dieting...and it isn't easy to lose it. But yea it is doable with some will power.

Hello Phaelyn,: )

These so-called 'gurus',fall back into temptation in regards to over eating etc.

I've always had a podgy stomach,skinny everywhere else.

Never could lose the fat around the stomach.

Despite only eating mostly one meal per day,like yourself.

Then with some final clearing this week,

the fat started falling away,

My stomach is now firm,full,hard and centered.: )

Food for thought,hey.

Last edited by ant : 14-11-2020 at 01:50 AM.
Old 14-11-2020, 01:03 AM
Quote:
If these "guru's" are beyond desire, pleasure, why did they get fat and stay that way?
Why can't they stop overeating? Stop eating sugary things and carbs?
I'm not understanding the question.
What's wrong with a guru being overweight?
I mean it...not a trick question. Why is this an issue?

Old 14-11-2020, 02:56 AM
ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Why is this an issue?

Negative emotions are stored in fat until there transmuted.
Old 14-11-2020, 07:28 AM
Master
Quote:
The Buddha question was answered but it's a good question. There are many "guru's" past and present who were/are overweight.

' If these "guru's" are beyond desire, pleasure, why did they get fat and stay that way? Why can't they stop overeating? Stop eating sugary things and carbs? '

We don't know that these ' Gurus ' overeat and why does it matter what they look like, why are you judging them ?

What makes you think that ' Gurus ' are beyond desires and pleasures is this a ' Rule ' needed to be followed to Teach others.?