Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 05-03-2024, 06:44 PM
Master

In 1999, it was published that the Dalai Lama would only be vegetarian every other day and partakes of meat regularly. When he is in Dharamsala, he is vegetarian, but not necessarily when he is outside Dharamsala.

A lot of guru's or religious authorities act differently away from eyes of a community.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
In 1999, it was published that the Dalai Lama would only be vegetarian every other day and partakes of meat regularly. When he is in Dharamsala, he is vegetarian, but not necessarily when he is outside Dharamsala.

A lot of guru's or religious authorities act differently away from eyes of a community.

Exactly, but Wikipedia doesn’t give you the full story and the 'Reasons' why,
Old 05-03-2024, 07:21 PM
Master

I would 100% never eat meat if I didn't have to due to low blood sugar etc. Health reasons. I hate meat and find it disgusting and gross. The taste and smell is bad to me. I used to like it but a lot of things changed I found as I progressed spiritually. The taste of meat actually changed and the smell with changing spiritually. Same with other stuff too.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:31 PM
Molearner

Quote:

Maisy,

Should one be faulted for exercising free will ?
Old 05-03-2024, 07:32 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
True. In my view at least, mindfulness is what ego isn't able to feed on.

Yea I think if ego popped up while one was mindful one would just observe it. It would have no power or effect.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:48 PM
Master
Quote:
I would 100% never eat meat if I didn't have to due to low blood sugar etc. Health reasons. I hate meat and find it disgusting and gross. The taste and smell is bad to me. I used to like it but a lot of things changed I found as I progressed spiritually. The taste of meat actually changed and the smell with changing spiritually. Same with other stuff too.

HHDL has health problems also which Wikipedia which you quoted didn't mention....
Old 05-03-2024, 07:59 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Maisy,

Should one be faulted for exercising free will ?

Do we have free will? If you put a mouse in a maze with some food at the end he can smell the mouse has the free will to stand still and do nothing but the situation and the mouse brain/body programming pretty much makes the choice of his action for him. The mouse might feel as if it is making a free will choice to look for the food but he really isn't. But then there could be two choices of food at the end that are equal in the mouse's mind so then perhaps it is a free will choice. But even then the mouse brain makes the choice not the mouse conscious awareness.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:04 PM
Molearner

Then if one does not have free will criticism is impossible……
Old 05-03-2024, 08:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Do we have free will?

Did you have free will to read Wikipedia regarding the Dalai Lama's eating habits and then Post them on here ?
Old 05-03-2024, 09:12 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Then if one does not have free will criticism is impossible……

I like to look at free will not as -do we have free will? but rather how much free will do we each (each species) have?

Studies show animals adapt and change to their environments, so I think like humans there is a process of reinforcement and adaptation moving through all life. Along with a zillion other things.