Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 07-08-2023, 02:01 AM
Experiencer

I find it odd, that it appears only in recent times, that the main stream religions have 'forgotten' the name of their God(s).

Gods name is not forgotten-YHWH(Jehovah) is his name, the Abrahamic God. Jesus promised to keep on making his Fathers name known( John 17:26). God has always made his name known as well.
Prov 18:10-- Jehovahs name is a strong tower into it the righteous run.
Old 07-08-2023, 02:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
I was around the Catholic Religion many many years and I never heard the word "Adonai" ever.

The word is used sometimes but it appears that many that hear it, have no idea what it means.

I find Judaism, Christianity and Islam, which have the same historical roots, that those believers, for the most part, can not recognize let alone know the name of their God.

But then, can that not also be said of Hinduism and her derivatives?

Today, Trimurti seems to be a foreign word for most Hindus.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 07-08-2023, 05:58 AM
Master
The People, The Place and The Time...

The various names of God in the Bible are connected to the ways different ancient people thought about their God. Each of God's names in the Bible highlights a specific aspect of God's character. Later on In Israel people stopped pronouncing Yahweh’s name aloud as a form of reverence, when they came across the letters for “Yahweh” in the Bible, they would not say it so it was replaced with the Hebrew word for “Lord,” pronounced Adonai...
Different people/cultures at different time frames gave their ' Personal ' God a name, the names of God yield rich insights into His/Her nature and character as percieved at that specific time through that culture....
Imo.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:31 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
can not recognize let alone know the name of their God.

I would assume the name most Christians use is Jesus. Some don't even read the old testament.

I myself believe humans make up names for God.

It's like a cat that is adopted by a family and they name it Greyson, then they leave the door open and Greyson runs away and an old woman finds Greyson in her backyard so she lets him in the house and names him Billy. Then the old woman dies and her grandkids come and one says, "Hey I will take this cat home" and he does and names the cat Puddle. The cat is not really Greyson, Billy, or Puddle. Humans makes up words for the cat, names.

A name is never the actual thing it points to or references. I once got a new job and told everybody my name was a nickname I liked. Well after a few months a friend of mine got hired who knew me as a different name well people got so confused. Some people seemed like they were having mental breakdowns. They even started arguing. That is so and so... why are you calling them that different name??? That's not who they are! and on and on....

I think what things really are is an experience. I don't think anything is a word. A word or name is just a symbol and sound for something else.
Old 07-08-2023, 07:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiw1
I find it odd, that it appears only in recent times, that the main stream religions have 'forgotten' the name of their God(s).

Prov 18:10-- Jehovahs name is a strong tower into it the righteous run.

Proverbs 18:10
New King James Version
10 The name of the Lord is a strong tower;
The righteous run to it and are safe.

One uses Lord, the other Jehovah......
Old 07-08-2023, 07:54 AM
Master
and the text used today for virtually all translations of the Bible uses an 'archaic' Hebrew word that is pronounced something like Yahweh in Hebrew.

Even though most people will not used that word, and some Bible translations do not use that word at all, it still can be found in the text used for virtually all Bible translations.

The sad part about it all is, how the word was originally pronounced, apparently has been lost. The story resonates very much with Trimurti!

It makes you wonder: how people can forget their God.......

What a story!

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 07-08-2023, 11:01 AM
Molearner

Adonai, Jehovah, Yahweh, God, Father, Son, Lord, Jesus etc……which way should I turn ? I’d sure like to know. What are the dangers if we do not use the name you like ? One thong is for sure….get a good number of Christians together and the first thing they will do is work hard to separate from each other. I am sure it is done to please God……
Old 07-08-2023, 12:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Adonai, Jehovah, Yahweh, God, Father, Son, Lord, Jesus etc……which way should I turn ? I’d sure like to know.

I'll tell you Mo
Go whichever way the wind blows you and rest there.....
Old 07-08-2023, 03:12 PM
Master

I think the only place we will find God is in compassion and empathy for each other and ourselves. I'm not sure there is a God that is beyond or far away or "out there" or somewhere other than here in us and each other. What's God's name? It every person (and living thing) we have ever encountered. In the trees and flowers and birds and every person I encountered today. It's me as well. (When I attune with it.)

Matthew 25:40 ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
Old 07-08-2023, 04:02 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
I think the only place we will find God is in compassion and empathy for each other and ourselves. I'm not sure there is a God that is beyond or far away or "out there" or somewhere other than here in us and each other. What's God's name? It every person (and living thing) we have ever encountered. In the trees and flowers and birds and every person I encountered today. It's me as well. (When I attune with it.)

me.’

So true. Maybe this is another way of understanding ‘the pearl of great value’….Matthew 13:46. There is an inheritance from our Heavenly Father as there is from our earthly father. Sadly many are either oblivious to this or not aware of it…..what are we searching for ?