Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Closed Thread

Old 31-12-2017, 07:01 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I personally don't think any matter, there just feelings, I just meditate .

If I am counting this and counting that, labeling this and labeling that then I am spoiling the moment, from breath to breath works for me.

Just curious. Where does the satipatthana sutta enter in your practice? Since that is the topic at hand.

With love
Eelco
Old 31-12-2017, 09:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
Just curious. Where does the satipatthana sutta enter in your practice? Since that is the topic at hand.

With love
Eelco

Yes I did notice that it is the topic at hand
The Satipatthana Sutta doesn't enter into my practice, but my practice is the Satipatthana Sutta, that is how I feel.

I don't have a need to label good/bad... happy/sad....pleasant/unpleasant etc: they are all the same as one doesn't exist without the other, I know feelings exist that's enough for me.

If I lay the foundations for mindfullness then I can move on to the next level without being attached to the foundations, I see things as they arise, I observe them in one continuous moment to moment, breath to breath and let them go without clinging, back to the present moment.

It's like when I practise Tai Chi, I don't think about the last step or the next, I just flow continuously into the Form, there is no need to label what I am doing, I just do it without attachment or clinging. If I cling to one step then it's impossible to move on to the next. When you first learn Tai Chi then of course you need to think, label, and repeat each step until you get it right but once you know each movement it just becomes natural and that is how I see and practise Mindfulness, I just do it, simplicity works for me.

This is just my opinion and how I practise, I don't expect others to agree and that's fine, I am just trying to explain my experience.
Old 31-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Master
Quote:
I personally don't think any matter, there just feelings, I just meditate .

That's right - they don't matter in themselves. Equanimity with feelings matters. If the mind is reacting, craving, becoming agitated, then we know we've become disturbed in equanimity, losing that balanced poise, unable to 'meditate'. Yet, may we realise it, and thus not be compelled by the highly reactive and wild mind into unwholesome intent, for this intent again moves the mind to unwholesome thought, manifests in sensation, and expresses in unwholesome words, and then it spreads as another person reacts to such unwholesome conduct as it manifests in their body sensation (from vedana craving/aversion arises).

Remain unmoved by sensation, remain vigilant, silent in equanimity, know the feeling this moment; where mind/body together manifests, for here is the 'moment of creation' which determines the outcomes of ones kamma. We each have this responsibility.

In cessation of these volitions, no intent, no movement of mind, no action or reaction - no senses manifest, no feeling, no mind, no arising, no passing away, no 'birth', no 'death', no I.

Quote:
If I am counting this and counting that, labeling this and labeling that then I am spoiling the moment, from breath to breath works for me.

My teacher gave me my rule of thumb: Just observe; dhamma (nature's way) takes care of the rest.
Old 31-12-2017, 11:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
That's right - they don't matter in themselves. Equanimity with feelings matters. If the mind is reacting, craving, becoming agitated, then we know we've become disturbed in equanimity, losing that balanced poise, unable to 'meditate'. Yet, may we realise it, and thus not be compelled by the highly reactive and wild mind into unwholesome intent, for this intent again moves the mind to unwholesome thought, manifests in sensation, and expresses in unwholesome words, and then it spreads as another person reacts to such unwholesome conduct as it manifests in their body sensation (from vedana craving/aversion arises).

Remain unmoved by sensation, remain vigilant, silent in equanimity, know the feeling this moment; where mind/body together manifests, for here is the 'moment of creation' which determines the outcomes of ones kamma. We each have this responsibility.

In cessation of these volitions, no intent, no movement of mind, no action or reaction - no senses manifest, no feeling, no mind, no arising, no passing away, no 'birth', no 'death', no I.

My teacher gave me my rule of thumb: Just observe; dhamma (nature's way) takes care of the rest.

Wise Teacher
Old 31-12-2017, 01:13 PM
Master
"In cessation of these volitions, no intent, no movement of mind, no action or reaction - no senses manifest, no feeling, no mind, no arising, no passing away, no 'birth', no 'death', no I. "

No thanks

The cessation of identifying with the fluctuations arising within consciousness
Old 31-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Eelco

So am I correct in assuming that you use the satipatthana as a contemplation when not on the cushion so to speak, and that it has little to do with the actual meditation practices?

WIth Love
Eelco
Old 31-12-2017, 04:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
So am I correct in assuming that you use the satipatthana as a contemplation when not on the cushion so to speak, and that it has little to do with the actual meditation practices?

WIth Love
Eelco

They work in harmony, Vipasanna follows the teachings of the Satipatthana Sutta, it's the outcome.
Old 31-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky
"In cessation of these volitions, no intent, no movement of mind, no action or reaction - no senses manifest, no feeling, no mind, no arising, no passing away, no 'birth', no 'death', no I. "

No thanks

straight to the point.
Old 31-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Eelco

Quote:
They work in harmony, Vipasanna follows the teachings of the Satipatthana Sutta, it's the outcome.

How does that work?

I've read/heard explained that it's sometimes easier to tackle insight/vipassana with a mind that is strong in concentration. Never that vipassana is it's natural outcome..

So you've peaked my interest.

With Love
Eelco
Old 31-12-2017, 11:40 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
On p.16 the author refers to them saying 'where both discourses were spoken' https://www.scribd.com/document/1270...ealization-pdf

The quote you reference is ambiguous. This includes direct references:

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...9&postcount=25

i.e Including from Thanissaro Bhikkhu who states that the discourses are exactly the same, except the Maha Satipatthana Sutra has the Four Noble Truths appended.

BT
Closed Thread