Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 22-08-2021, 05:14 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Where does information about Lilith and Adam come from? Thanks...
sure I could look it up, but I think it's good info to put on the thread.

This url does a pretty good job covering all the civilizations that have their own story of Lilith and where the myth comes from and how it changes according to which one.

https://people.howstuffworks.com/lilith.htm
Old 22-08-2021, 05:19 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
I am totally with you on this.
Dogma and blind faith without questioning seems to be a general flaw in all religions and leads to all sorts of harm when people in power abuse it.
Old 22-08-2021, 05:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
I am totally with you on this, and we need to point this out more often, many Christians take the stories and metaphors in their chosen interpretation of the scriptures as being literally true. Because of this we have many variations of what they call truth, there are thousands of denominations all believing they know how the scriptures should be read, this is not being so called spiritual at all.

Huh? There are so many interpretations because people don't take it literally but ''symbolically''/''allegorically''.
Old 22-08-2021, 07:51 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Huh? There are so many interpretations because people don't take it literally but ''symbolically''/''allegorically''.

The harm comes from those that do take it literally. And there was a time in the early history of Christianity where the fanatics controlled the pulpit and it led to things like the Spanish Inquisition persecution of non-Christians, mainly Jews and Muslims. That was the point I am trying to make.
Old 22-08-2021, 08:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler
The harm comes from those that do take it literally.

I see. So those that take it symbolically / allegorically are harmless. That is an interesting perspective, but not one I agree with.

I don't think either side is harmful or harmless. I believe it is more complicated than that, and it depends on the individual.
I feel that these days people just like to use mainstream Christians as a punching bag.
Old 23-08-2021, 12:49 AM
Master

Quote:
I see. So those that take it symbolically / allegorically are harmless. That is an interesting perspective, but not one I agree with.

I don't think either side is harmful or harmless. I believe it is more complicated than that, and it depends on the individual.
I feel that these days people just like to use mainstream Christians as a punching bag.

I think when you take some words in the bible, mentioned once for what one would take to be the literal condemnation of gays and then go on to condemn them in the community or home and even kick out one's own child from the only home because they were gay or use that literal interpretation to deny basic human and civil right to gay people then that is harmful. And even the less literal religious use their religion to harm and justify wars. I'm pretty much against all organized religions. I think they're harmful to mankind, actually. And women generally get the short shrift in most of them too..

Last edited by Traveler : 23-08-2021 at 04:07 PM.
Old 23-08-2021, 08:57 AM
Deactivated Account
More often than not the book considered to be the pre-eminent word of God (if not the only word of God) is simply the one of the culture we are born into. From there, with due conditioning, the right guidance from those already suitably conditioned, the game is up.

The "subtlety" is fairly obvious. "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" (or any other direct verse condemning human beings of various dispositions) needs no commentary. While verses such as "blessed are the merciful for they shall be shown mercy" or "blessed are the peacemakers"......well, one really needs a commentary to understand! Who was Jesus actually speaking to, or other deep questions, anything to distract from the simple meaning of the words.

One quite funny aspect (tragic really) is when such literalists read some verse from some other supposed "holy" book. Then their minds become eagle sharp! Contradictions and plain idiocy are seen immediately! Therefore, nothing actually wrong with their minds as such - except conditioning and bigotry.
Old 23-08-2021, 09:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler
I'm pretty much against all organized religions. I think they're harmful to mankind, actually.
What's an organized religion? At what point is it no longer organized?

If people come together and share beliefs and tenets of a faith, isn't that organized religion? I can't think of a simpler definition.
Old 23-08-2021, 12:28 PM
Quote:
What's an organized religion? At what point is it no longer organized?

If people come together and share beliefs and tenets of a faith, isn't that organized religion? I can't think of a simpler definition.
My 2 cents: No. On the last sentence.

Organized is more like a 'Club' - you do 'this' and follow 'these rules', even in your mind
you must believe a certain way...or you are not part of their Club/Group and can not even say you are one of them.
Also, I would say there are not only guidelines like with Quakers - but,
'Elders' that are, in the least, 'watchers' that the individual 'tows the line'.
Ordained Pastors, Deacons, Popes, Archbishops...
That is called 'organized'.

3 or 4 of us or 200 getting together and singing songs, sharing stories, and
rejoicing in our faith and
experiences---does not make an organized 'religion'.
Summary:Ya kinda have to have set beliefs you all agree to --and you have
those 'in charge' of decision making for the Club/Group...that you are a member of.
That's my take.
Anyone else?

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 23-08-2021, 12:58 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn

Organized is more like a 'Club' etc etc

3 or 4 of us or 200 getting together and singing songs, sharing stories etc etc

A nice distinction. I would say the distinctions drawn can in practice become a bit fuzzy around the edges.

I tend to have a sense of disquiet when seeing large groups all acting in much the same way.

"Organised" - arranged systematically.

"If you want to find satisfactory formulas you had better deal with things that can be fitted into a formula. The vocation to seek God is not one of them. Nor is existence."

(Thomas Merton)