Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 24-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Master
We're talking about two kinds or levels of happiness. One is an emotion and is relative to what's happening in one's life or one's mind. The other is a more subtle feeling of spirit and may be felt no matter what's going on.

Either way, there's always the possibility to choose once the alternatives become clear.

Xan

Old 24-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Royalite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Prinie... I have Tzu on "ignore", since he was pursuing me in a negative way for some time... so I have no idea what he's saying.

Xan

Lol I see. Maybe that's why I get confused. You two provided very different answers on the same question. Lol
Old 24-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Henri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck
I'd be interested in views about this statement. Do you think happiness is always a choice no matter what happens? If so, how do we achieve it?

Cosmic,,,, I was just about to post a nearly identical topic query.
To say ALWAYS may be beyond most mortals, but we make choices all the time, where to place our attention.

Anyway I'll post my thoughts to add to what's been offered.

Do we (many of us) tend to seek out reasons to feel down-irritated without realizing it?
What are our other options.....?

Walking around a local park-lake , I constantly see walkers-joggers grimly thinking about stuff, and ignoring the beauty around them. (however those jogging in groups seem to be having fun)

With a friend, loved one , we may obsess about their bad makeup, an odor, their way of talking, or something minor.... while largely missing out on their friendship, companionship, good ideas.
I can think of many situations, where a minor thing captured my attention, caused worry, irritation, distraction... and cheated me of an otherwise lovely experience.

Is this our upbringing, training,,, learned by example? To pay attention to what we don't like while ignoring what's pleasant?

There have been discussions about other cultures who emphasize acceptance,
cultures much poorer than ours, yet who know more about the joy of living.

This is nothing new,,,, and the idea of a happiness quotient may deal with this....
why some folks are generally happier, regardless of circumstance, than others.

Mindfulness may be a clue, to be aware when-why this happens.
Yet I believe one can train their mind-habits to seek the beauty , joy, love in all things, and most situations.
Perhaps this is a function of mind, to need to create-change things ... and only by being in the heart can we escape this preoccupation with judgement.

Even in forums, we seek ideas-individuals we agree with, and quickly challenge-dismiss those that differ from ours. Of course this is largely a playground of the mind, and is not surprising.
( in person I suspect our response would be different, when love-respect was more evident)
Old 24-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Henri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
We're talking about two kinds or levels of happiness. One is an emotion and is relative to what's happening in one's life or one's mind. The other is a more subtle feeling of spirit and may be felt no matter what's going on.

Xan

An excellent-crucial clarification
Old 24-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Master
only by being in the heart can we escape this preoccupation with judgement.

And... only by letting go of judgment can we live in the heart.

Xan

Old 25-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville
Thinking further... Is it Natural or "normal"(whatever normal is)..or even realistic, to not only want to be , but to choose or even expect to be happy all the time?

No, I don't think so. Feelings are always changing and there's no choice about that.
Old 25-08-2012, 01:39 AM
CatChild

To be honest, I spend a good deal of my time in a neutral mood. Happiness from my soul that is not instigated by anything outside of myself, feels peaceful. I am able to tap into that happiness easily. Unfortunately, it doesn't pay the bills.
Old 25-08-2012, 01:53 AM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri77
Mindfulness may be a clue, to be aware when-why this happens.
Yet I believe one can train their mind-habits to seek the beauty , joy, love in all things, and most situations.
Perhaps this is a function of mind, to need to create-change things ... and only by being in the heart can we escape this preoccupation with judgement.

Judgement;
- The act of judging or assessing a person or situation or event.
- The capacity to assess situations or circumstances shrewdly and to draw sound conclusions.
- The cognitive process of reaching a decision or drawing conclusions.
- An opinion formed by judging something.

Judging:
- The cognitive process of reaching a decision or drawing conclusions.

In light of this...
Quote:
Beauty is a value assigned to something via the cognitive mind process of judgement.

A person feels joy toward something because they have judged it to be something that evokes joy.

To express love towards something, one must assign, via judgement, a value to which one decides is worthy of love.

Why oh why do you and many others keep thinking the process of judging is a negative thing.

Judging is a neutral process.
Praise and condemnation are attached later.
Old 25-08-2012, 02:09 AM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Prinie... I have Tzu on "ignore", since he was pursuing me in a negative way for some time... so I have no idea what he's saying.

Xan
In defense of the 'perception' this quote implies, i will counter with.. in this situation, 'negative' is in the eye of the beholder, and those that agree with the beholder..

I have indeed challenged some of Xan's statements, and on rare occasions her motives, but.. i have never doubted the sincerity of her beliefs.

I would have preferred a direct communication, as in the times i asked Xan to let me know if she wanted me to discontinue my inquiry, but at least now i know..

Be well..
Old 25-08-2012, 04:46 AM
Experiencer
I think the main question is whether you wish to consciously choose how you feel in every situation or if you prefer to react to them based upon past conditioning. It is commonly believed that situations have emotional meaning independent of the observer but this is not true in my experience. Situations are inherently neutral and it is our response to them that created emotions to be felt based upon either upon out pre-conditioned belief systems or our conscious choice.

By creating our response to every circumstance consciously we do have the ability to have happiness be the emotion felt regardless of the majority conditioned response. Death is a commonly held negative experience but for those who truly believe in the return to spirit and the expanded awareness of that return it is a joyous event. Choose as you wish!

Love and Light