Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Paranormal & Supernatural > Mysteries, Myths & Legends

Old 30-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Felynx

Its all in relative terms. Ooh, spooky.
Old 31-03-2011, 06:00 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love&Light

Do these things really exist?

I used to think that ALL of it was myth! I used to put it in the same bag as alien abductions and flying saucers... I thought it was just unproven myth!

So how much is true, and how much is childrens stories?

I thankyou and I love you in advance!
They are myth. But that doesn't mean they have no existence.They are merely symbols for something. Whether that something is anything other than a force within our minds... well that beats me totally. It doesn't matter too much to me either way.

I'd recommend reading Daimonic Reality by Patrick Harpur.
Old 31-03-2011, 06:12 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felynx
Even if our ancestors where wrong about the origins of those fossils, whos to say that dragons didnt exist despite lack of evidence. 0_o Mystery
It's called burden of proof. Just because I can't give evidence of an orange bear that lives on Jupiter and has a marshmallow throne doesn't mean it's likely. The origins of dragons are pretty well lined out. They are a mixture of psychological components and dinosaur fossils - in all likelihood.
Old 31-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
The origins of dragons are pretty well lined out. They are a mixture of psychological components and dinosaur fossils - in all likelihood.

Tell that to the dragon that's chirping away in my head right now:-)

Here's a radical theory for you then. Is this (on this planet) the only existence we've ever had? Some would say no, that they remember Past Lives on other planets. Just because science can't find them, does that mean they don't exist? What came - if anything - before this existence on earth? Is it possible that we've had a whole pile of reincarnations on other planets before coming to this one? Is it possible that we go through a pile on this one then onto more on other planets, or vice versa? Also, some have said that after 2012 we will no longer have corporeal form. Does that open up the possibility of existence on a different plane/dimension? It's been said that we are Spirit on a human Journey, so if we are doesn't that open up a whole raft of possibilities? If we remember (some do) reincarnations on other planets/dimensions, then........

Are all of these mythological creatures a part of Past Life memories on other planets/existences?
Old 31-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Felynx

Wow, guys, this is getting pretty deep.
Old 31-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Tell that to the dragon that's chirping away in my head right now:-)

Here's a radical theory for you then. Is this (on this planet) the only existence we've ever had? Some would say no, that they remember Past Lives on other planets. Just because science can't find them, does that mean they don't exist? What came - if anything - before this existence on earth? Is it possible that we've had a whole pile of reincarnations on other planets before coming to this one? Is it possible that we go through a pile on this one then onto more on other planets, or vice versa? Also, some have said that after 2012 we will no longer have corporeal form. Does that open up the possibility of existence on a different plane/dimension? It's been said that we are Spirit on a human Journey, so if we are doesn't that open up a whole raft of possibilities? If we remember (some do) reincarnations on other planets/dimensions, then........

Are all of these mythological creatures a part of Past Life memories on other planets/existences?
The problem with that is that it's inherently subjective. I can claim I've had a past life as a Roman emperor, but without any special knowledge of Roman emperors that can later be verified, it's just a belief that has little weight outside of my own mind. Past lives and reincarnation are fascinating but they are not scientific in nearly all cases because they are unscientific by their nature.
People who claim to have past lives as this or that can rarely ever give us information besides banal trivialities that can easily be disproved. Or they are so utterly complex and far fetched that one must simply say "Occam's Razor, anyone?". That isn't to say that such alternative "histories" don't have value, but it is important to keep a firm ground in dealing with it, lest we get sucked into fanciful hypotheses that have little reflection of reality besides some armchair day dreams.

I don't discount the existence of dragon-like creatures or anything else of that matter. But I tend to view them as being mostly symbolic. Viewing them as such usually means there's less mental gymnastics needed to give them a plausibility. Once you become focused on proving them as being physically real, or once were, the burden of proof lies on you, and you have to explain away a mountain of knowledge and facts that otherwise give a decent explanation of dragons and other mythic creatures.

(not saying that's what YOU'RE doing, per se. This is just a general rant on the subject mostly )
Old 01-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
The problem with that is that it's inherently subjective. I can claim I've had a past life as a Roman emperor, but without any special knowledge of Roman emperors that can later be verified, it's just a belief that has little weight outside of my own mind. Past lives and reincarnation are fascinating but they are not scientific in nearly all cases because they are unscientific by their nature.

Everything is subjective, Animus, but what happens when all you have is your subjectivity? When you have nagging thoughts, visions and memories that can't be verified by the 'usual means'? For a long time I had that and still have sometimes, and they're not just a fantasy, perhaps a shrink could explain them away but I don't want them to go away. It wasn't until I talked to other very sane and rational people that I found out that what was in my head was real. Others interacted with those thoughts and memories and remembered it from their own perspectives - which makes sense. I can make the distinction between fantasy and what I have in my head and certainly don't make claims to remembering something just to impress people. When I relate what I 'see', it's because I see it.

I remember a time before Time, before the Big Bang. I've talked to many others who also remember being there, remember me being there. Other than a shared memory that's all there is, obviously there's no proof because science doesn't really recognise a time before the Big Bang. However, those people have been mentioned throughout history and mythology as the 'Golden Ones' or the 'Shining Ones'. I found one character in the Nestor Chronicles, he was one of the Vikings that sailed up the Volga and founded Russia. The name was close to the same, the vision I had was of a Viking and by how he was described by Nestor I knew it was the same Soul.

That's where the theory stems from, in that I have memories that don't fit too easily into the normal boxes. I also remember Lives on other planets and Dimensions, and just because there aren't physical dragons on earth it doesn't mean they can't be anywhere else. It's a big Universe out there, and when you take in not just the physical Universe but Dimensions as well.....

Are all these mythical creatures simply the product of an over-active imagination, or do they - like most myths - have a basis in fact? Are they memories that have been discounted as memories because there is no proof, they are not deemed as objective?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Master
By claiming that everything is subjective you are making an absolutist claim yourself, which is very similar to hard objectivity.
Hardly different. Two sides of the same coin.

I do wonder what people from the year 5000 will believe if they see our superheroes from comic books, video games, manga, and the movies.

In the ancient world people did not do things exactly like we do today. Some, like the Egyptians had their own way of writing things down, with symbols and images.
That doesn't mean it is literal. That is only one example. We always have to look at the context.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Time

The only reason why we take it literal, is because we fail to understand that they were anthropimorphised so we can under stand them more. We give human attributes to everything, fromt he constillations ( what many thing most of our religious belifs come from), even to plants ( they cant feel pain so its ok to eat them??) to even god ( he gets angry, has a big white beard, and we even went as far as stating they made is in their image ( the bible doesnt say HE made us, it says THEY. THis is usualy concidered how the ejwish people talked about god, as in the multiple, but when you reaslize that in theold texts, and early days of judeaism, god had a wife :S that makes it more interesting)

Sure many things are subjective, and even up to interpretation, but thers going to have to be a point when we say, no, this is how it is.....
Old 01-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Ascender

God had a wife???