Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 29-07-2021, 08:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."
In the end, we become what we want to be.
Not in real life you knocked on the Benedictine Door but left because you didn't get what you wanted
Old 29-07-2021, 08:27 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice
that implies we should have no " view" at all of what we wish to "become".

which is a view. better perhaps is to have no view about views. it's not a matter of changing what is, it's a matter of changing fundamentally what our attention is on. changing fundamentally our perspective. changing fundamentally our relationship with what is

like one is in the middle of new york's times square on new years eve....(before covid) bumping into all of those people on the street then one takes an elevator to the roof top of a skyscraper and stands there alone looking down on the crowd one was in the middle of a few minutes before... one's perspective has changed

we are in this moment, there is input of various kinds. maybe we are in a coffee shop, so there is what we see, a woman at the counter.... the smell of the coffee, so input sourced from our nose and eyes and ears.... she asks us what we want to order...input to awareness, ....at the same time, input from from our thoughts... what we are thinking, what thoughts appear to us......what are we focusing on? paying attention to? the smell of the coffee? is that the main thing in that moment thought is going on about? the thing we have focused our attention on? probably we are focusing on whatever the brain puts up there as thought based on our habits and patterns of thought, maybe something of a sexual nature which is common in males.. a fleeting thought that resonates in some way....

our perspective is that which receives and "feels" the input. what the senses are perceiving and what thoughts that appear based on that.

but there is another perspective the sages talk about. to not be a "center" so to see the whole movement as one. so me and that woman at the counter are one, not two. i am a camera moving around that space as is she, different inputs, lenses aimed in different directions at different things in the same general space. and her mental input, her thoughts, are based on her habits and conditioning and stored memories and such. so our input is different. but both are cameras with an inner dialog and can be recognized as such. there is no difference.

and our perspective can be of this absolute sameness. when we shift from perceiving ourselves as the content of consciousness. we are that which receives the content, not the content itself. so then we recognize oneness. there is no difference between any of us.

some are aware we are all the same and some are not. there is nothing to do or achieve or become, this is all just non-sense of the inner content, thought. different ideas that come and go yet our perspective can be they are us or me or worthy of our attention. one can invent all kinds of important meaning in this inner input.

if we truly know the content is not us, our attention is not on it, then what is our attention on? well one can find out. it can't be put into words as words are the domain of inner content. the "news feed"

a different perspective results in a different experience of the same content.
Old 29-07-2021, 08:36 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Freedom is when we stop wanting and accept
Yes, Acceptance.
Old 29-07-2021, 08:45 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
which is a view. better perhaps is to have no view about views

Sorry, I see that as simply playing with words. I might as well say that to have no view about views is a view.

In context I was saying that, given freedom is "ever new, not a final state of "being" that is one thing or another" then having a view on what we want to become would be disadvantageous.

(Maybe I've spent far too long on the Pure Land path of "no-calculation"..........yet I do not think so)
Old 29-07-2021, 09:04 PM
Deactivated Account
I am not allowed to post the Shin (Pure Land) understanding of hakarai (calculation). Too long a quote.
It can be found on the website "The Collected Works of Shinran", then selecting "The Glossary of Shin Buddhist Terms" then looking up "Calculation".
Old 29-07-2021, 09:36 PM
AbodhiSky

Having a view on what we want to be. In the here and now. Very good in my view.

"In the end, we become what we want to be." What we choose to be now.

I want to be love. I want to be free of conflict within and without. Earth has so many dark energies though and those attached to them. Negativity, being focused on bad things, being mean, displaced anger and all of these dark evil things. So what is one to do?

Let the snake be a snake. Let it act according to it's nature and the energies it likes to carry. Karma will take care of it, not me. So allow, unless we can effect a change. Be like grass in strong winds and not like a tree that breaks.

I choose what I am in each moment. I choose what energies to give my attention. I take responsibility for the effects of my actions. To dance with a snake is to get bit. Better to step over them. That's wisdom.
Old 29-07-2021, 11:00 PM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
simply playing with words.
can anyone express what a wordless state is with words?
what are we offering? words!
how do we offer a wordless state?

When the Buddha started to wander around India shortly after his enlightenment, he encountered several men who recognized him to be a very extraordinary being. They asked him: "Are you a god?" "No," he replied. "Are you a reincarnation of god?" "No," he replied. "Are you a wizard, then?" "No." "Well, are you a man?" "No." "So what are you?" They asked, being very perplexed. Buddha simply replied: "I am awake."

what is anyone? an awareness that is awake or asleep... when asleep we project ego for good or bad, when awake we project love and selflessness
Old 30-07-2021, 06:04 AM
Master
Quote:
To dance with a snake is to get bit. Better to step over them. That's wisdom.
Wisdom is knowing not all snakes bite
Old 30-07-2021, 06:09 AM
Master
Quote:

It can be found on the website "The Collected Works of Shinran", then selecting "The Glossary of Shin Buddhist Terms" then looking up "Calculation".

Cob you can Post Links .
http://shinranworks.com/
Old 30-07-2021, 06:27 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
That's wisdom.
I do not seek "wisdom". Choosing what to "be" in any moment seems to me to be far from the "effortlessness" of radical freedom. From a Pure Land perspective (call it a view if you wish... ) any "choosing" is faithless.