Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 23-03-2011, 10:25 AM
7he4uthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
One is health reasons the other is ethical.

Have you ever seen schindlers list?

Modern day battery farms are the holocaust of the animals. They are voiceless and powerless to fight it, its the worst evil done to anything ever in history. When you eat meat from that you are also become part of it and ingest the suffering.
Every day I dont eat meat I can stop an animal being born into that.

Besides all that yucky sentence above vegetarinaism makes you feel so good.
I have a different connection with the world and am more peaceful inside. I think in may ways it enhanced spirituality and helped mesee the world in a different and really nice way.

theres only 1 reason
the 2 are 1
respect is universal
holistic
neither selfish nor selfless
its about god
Old 23-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by universa1ove
theres only 1 reason
the 2 are 1
respect is universal
holistic
neither selfish nor selfless
its about god
thanks for your previous post before mine the big one.
I found the source of it and drooped it into my facebook for everyone to read. :)

If you put a rabbit and an apple in a playpen with a humanm child, If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple Il buy you a ferrari.
Old 23-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Master
Quote:
Though a majority of humans follow a omnivore diet,
that doesn't mean we were meant to.
''Meaning'' is a human idea.
Quote:
]Humans eat meat that makes us omnivore right?
What makes us omnivores is the fact that our brains and eyes are perfect tools for hunting. We have a predatory instinct and we owe a lot to it. Pretty much all our inventions wouldn't have been here without our predatory instincts. Herbivores are generally 'stupid' (there are some exceptions). We also have teeth that are perfect for eating meat.
Quote:
]When we see a running animal do our instincts
tell us to run, kill, and eat it? No.
Maybe so in your current situation. When you're in the wilderness you would. We simply have the option to buy our foods in the supermarket and have the knowledge these days to get our nutrients from plant sources. But that doesn't make us herbivores all of the sudden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by univer1olve
Do some research in to it.
I'll help.
Check the mirror. Watch your eyes. Or stimulate your brains. Go into the forest, stalk the animals.
You may eat like a herbivore but that doesn't make you one biologically.
Thanks to our omnivore bodies we have the luxury to choose! That wouldn't be possible if we were herbivores or carnivores!

Also interesting: http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Sleep_in_animals
Quote:
Originally Posted by univer1ove
I actually was studying into some human evolution since
I'm highly interested in our ancestors. I was surprised
to find out most if not all of our early ancestors ate berries and
nuts only. Meat came on later.
It no longer matters. And the list is just not right. For example, we do not need claws because we are tool using creatures. We have the brains and the eyes for hunting. We also make fire and clothes. Animals don't. Is it therefore wrong or unnatural for us to do so? We're tool using creatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by univera1ove
Although i don't look down on meat eaters, I still think
eating meat is bad for health, environment, animals etc..
Environment huh? That really depends on what meat you eat. Beef is generally bad.

You may want to have a look at the palm oil industry in Asia, or the rainforests that are destroyed because people need rice, tea, and coffee. It's not just meat that can be bad for the environment. While the veggie doesn't eat meat, he still buys a lot of tropical foods to make his diet worthwhile.
Many animals and trees are burned because people need their rice, tea, coffee, chocolate, palm oil, etc. But because people are not aware of this directly they often don't care yet a piece of meat is suddenly a different case. And when it comes to health, it depends on what kind of meat we eat, and the quantity.

Last edited by Chrysaetos : 23-03-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 23-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
Modern day battery farms are the holocaust of the animals. They are voiceless and powerless to fight it, its the worst evil done to anything ever in history.
It's not a nice thing, but I disagree that it's the worst ''evil'' ever done in history. Chickens are not self-aware like humans so a group of humans (who can rationally analyse their suffering, have a concept of past and future, and know they will die) who are being tortured and locked up in concentration camps, is still worse.
Old 23-03-2011, 04:45 PM
DebbyM

Someone said the following:

I have a theory for this. I think because so many vegs use to eat
meat/dairy they feel so guilty about it. So instead of facing and
letting go of their guilt they throw the hatred they feel from their past
act towards meat eaters. Also some people go veg, not for animals,
but to feel superior to others."

My words:

I think it is more likely that because they've been meat eaters, and have become sensitized to the suffering that is inherent in that kind of diet, they are responding to the pain that they know is there and feel moved to try and prevent it. Unfortunately, when met with the level of resistance that is common, frustration develops (on both sides) and inevitably, tempers rise. That is what happens.

And because there is a significant learning curve and some inherent 'issues' to this kind of lifestyle change, particularly veganism, it is highly unlikely that anyone is making the change because they want to feel superior to others. Perceiving that as an issue makes it easy to dismiss those who speak out for the animals.
Old 23-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
It's not a nice thing, but I disagree that it's the worst ''evil'' ever done in history. Chickens are not self-aware like humans so a group of humans (who can rationally analyse their suffering, have a concept of past and future, and know they will die) who are being tortured and locked up in concentration camps, is still worse.
watch it if ou like it might change your mind

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9508770398194#

Last edited by Lightspirit : 23-03-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 23-03-2011, 11:54 PM
DebbyM

Universal said "1ve seen some ppl attempt to raise children vegan/veggie
with extremely bad results physically/emotionally/psychologically/spiritually
[this is only my observation = limited2my view]"

All you need to do is follow discussion on current levels of obesity, heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc., and you can see that the 'education' received by the average omniverous individual is obviously not doing the job well. Any diet can be hazardous, but the American Dietetic Association has said the an appropriately planned vegetarian diet is healthful and may prevent disease,
Regarding brain size, there is an interesting article that was reported by the BBC. Basically it says that "A Southampton University team found those who were vegetarian by 30 had recorded five IQ points more on average at the age of 10. Researchers said it could explain why people with higher IQ were healthier as a vegetarian diet was linked to lower heart disease and obesity rates. "

As I'm new here I can't post URL's yet, but if you are interested in the links, I can provide them later.
Old 24-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Master
In the western world, well educated people have more dietary options due to income and are usually thinking more about liberal issues,
hence you would find more vegetarians amongst the educated people.
Old 26-03-2011, 12:25 PM
DebbyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
In the western world, well educated people have more dietary options due to income and are usually thinking more about liberal issues,
hence you would find more vegetarians amongst the educated people.

But the BBC article referenced IQ, not education. Even people who have little education can have a higher IQ. That article said it is not unusual to find that veg'ns have a higher IQ.
Old 26-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM
But the BBC article referenced IQ, not education. Even people who have little education can have a higher IQ. That article said it is not unusual to find that veg'ns have a higher IQ.
Then replace my argument's ''educated'' with ''intelligence''.

Arguably people with high IQ generally think more about these matters so it's where you'll find more veggies.
Also, that is likely a western phenomena. If you go to India, you will probably find vegetarians with low IQ and vegetarians with high IQ, and poor/no education and good education.

The whole picture has to be looked at: the culture, the traditional values, education level. It's not as simple as ''Go veg and you become an Einstein''