Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 24-08-2012, 03:34 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
We could never be happy all the time when our happiness is based on conditions.
Only happiness for-no-reason can be constant.
Like peace with-no-opposite, the infinite silent presence of Oneness, it's our awareness of it that fluctuates.

Xan
Hi Xan: It is my understanding, based on my experience, that the 'reason' is because we 'can' be happy.. no reason needed, we exist and that is its own reason..

Be well..
Old 24-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Royalite

TzuJan and Xan, do you two disagree on issues or do you two usually just contribute to what each other is saying? Just curious, as for as long as I've been here, one often tags the other and it's usually on the nature of Oneness and I'm seldom sure whether you two are agreeing or disagreeing, with each other.
Old 24-08-2012, 04:04 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinie
TzuJan and Xan, do you two disagree on issues or do you two usually just contribute to what each other is saying? Just curious, as for as long as I've been here, one often tags the other and it's usually on the nature of Oneness and I'm seldom sure whether you two are agreeing or disagreeing, with each other.
We are contributing to the Oneness, from differing perspectives.. sometimes we disagree, sometimes we agree, and what 'is' continues to manifest itself, regardless..

I am of the 'be still and know' school of understanding, and.. Xan appears to be of the 'many words' school of understanding, and i say that due to her use of numerous quotes and oft cited literature..

Regardless, if an observer finds their way to self-realization, i am happy for them..

Be well..
Old 24-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Dr.Truth

We can't lie to ourselves.

If we feel positive about our lives, we feel positive about our lives - if we don't, we don't.
Old 24-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Dr.Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck
I'd be interested in views about this statement. Do you think happiness is always a choice no matter what happens? If so, how do we achieve it?

Many people say that no circumstances have the power to strip someone of their emotional or mental state that they choose. Is this true even in extremely difficult circumstances?

I feel there's a lot of truth in the above statements but I also feel concerned that some perspectives move away from the compassionate response towards the judgemental.

Some books I have read even state that human grief after a death is unnecessary and a sign of 'conditioning' because society loves misery. Others have said that 'negative emotions' mean we have moved away from spirit. If we're not full of joy all the time, something is wrong.

Can we choose to be happy, within reason?

I guess I really struggle to get my head around this.

There's alot of judgement out there about negativity/depression/misery. But who's to say that these feelings are not from the soul? Perhaps they are simply warning signs to tell us that something needs fixing.
Old 24-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Neville

I wonder if it's an addiction, for example, you are " happy " and having tasted that particular fruit , seek to become happier...Like a bug you catch.

It's not for me personally as I believe that to have the full experience, the fullest range of emotions should be experienced and most certainly not exclusively happiness.

I humbly refer you to my post above which reads;

Quote:
God and/or Creation is(seems) Bi polar anyway, Creating and trashing , Creating and trashing, Bright Suns and Event Horizons formed by collapsing Bright Stars, Warm Sunshine and ravaging Tornado's..(Insert your own preferred example of a naturally occurring dichotomy)

It makes sense then that we as children of Creation should naturally be happy and grumpy by turns.
Old 24-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Mountain-Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Do you think happiness is always a choice no matter what happens?
One's responses are proportional to one's level of self control.
The more one knows and understands a thing plus one's skill level of interaction with it, the more it can be controled.

Using happiness as an example:
If one has a high level of self mastery, within a commonly accepted sad experience, one can choose to be happy.
If one's self mastery is low, within the same xperience, the event will have sufficient power to influence one to choose to be unhappy.

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment." - Marcus Aurelius

"People are not disturbed by things, but by the views that they take of them." - Epictetus

"You cannot always control what goes on outside. But you can always control what goes on inside." - Wayne Dyer

"The whole design of life is to bring us to a place of awareness." - Julie Interrante

"We cannot rise higher than our thought of ourselves." - Orison Swett Marden

"We are no longer puppets being manipulated by outside powerful forces; we become the powerful force ourselves. " - Leo Buscaglia

"The issue is not whether or not you have that power, the issue is whether or not you use it." - Marianne Williamson

"True freedom is an inward state of being. Once it is attained, no situation in the world can bind one or limit one's freedom." - Jack Canfield
Quote:
If so, how do we achieve it?
Mindfullness/self discovery/know thyself/internal growth/and other similar terminologies.

Quote:
Many people say that no circumstances have the power to strip someone of their emotional or mental state that they choose. Is this true even in extremely difficult circumstances?
The level of external influence is inversely proportional to one's level of self mastery/control/knowledge.
Quote:
Some books I have read even state that human grief after a death is unnecessary and a sign of 'conditioning' because society loves misery. Others have said that 'negative emotions' mean we have moved away from spirit. If we're not full of joy all the time, something is wrong.
I would say the info in these books are highly imbalanced, that the authors are simply expressing their prejudices of aspects of being human.
These are the people who struggle with the negatives of human existence and simply want to live in a constant state of the positives.
The nirvana/bliss/ectasy/orgasmic seekers...in other words, the immature.
Like a child who doesn't see any value in work and just wants to enjoy perpetual play.
Quote:
Can we choose to be happy, within reason?
Well, that's how it goes doesn't it...within reason, within one's reasoning.
One chooses to respond according to one's observation and evaluation of the situation and oneself;
processing the information seen in one's current level of awareness, thus concluding with a decision and thus acting upon it.
Does this mean one is lacking in self control if one is grieving when a loved one dies or if opne cries if their arm has been ripped off in an accident?
Common sense says no. Imbalanced woo woo people who have issues with the harsh realities of life who think they know it all and think they have ascended above it say yes.
Well these woo woo people can say anything they want, my common sense, which is a part of my mindfullness, my ability to observe and think, my discernment, tells me differently.
But as i increase in self knowledge thus self control aka self mastery, the things that used to upset me no longer do.
And it's not about achieving a state of zero suffering/pain/grief, it's about being self aware to not be influenced by externals, but in freely choosing to grieve if i want to within an experience.
That i choose via conscious and indepth reasoning that griievng is my appropriate response to my situation irregardless of what others may think.
Quote:
I guess I really struggle to get my head around this.
Perhaps getting your head into it instead of around might be more beneficial.

If happiness is a choice, so too is sadness.
If one discerns an experience to be pleasant, one will respond with happiness.
If the experience is discerned to be unpleasant, one will respond with sadness.
Yet some woo woo people don't see it that way as they are baised against the negatives as if they are unnatural, not a normal part of life.
woo woo - people imbalanced, ungrounded, head up in the clouds thus can't observe the realities on earth very well, thinking their ascended position denotes higher intelligence even though they denounce anything the mind can do.

So, if sadness and happiness are both chosen responses, increase in awareness enables one to see more information to determine how much externals are controling one's decisions.

"If you want to follow me to freedom, be prepared to swim upstream, against the river of conditioning.
Be prepared to grapple continuously with the fierce flow of negative mental currents. In time our strokes will become effortless and our sense of purpose irresistible." - Buddha

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make our world." - Buddha

I regard freedom as the state where one can choose their thoughts, feelings and actions without any influence from externals powers.
Buddha said, "with our thoughts we make our world", meaning to me, i choose what kind of life i will have according to my discerment of reality.

Last edited by Mountain-Goat : 24-08-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 24-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville
I wonder if it's an addiction, for example, you are " happy " and having tasted that particular fruit , seek to become happier...Like a bug you catch.

It's not for me personally as I believe that to have the full experience, the fullest range of emotions should be experienced and most certainly not exclusively happiness.

I humbly refer you to my post above which reads;
I like what Neville has to say...and the quote he quoted which i doubt will be quoted as well... but i can say I chose to be happy but it's not going to be and i have bouts of major depression that kick my butt and no amount of chosing to be happy works. I wish it did, but it doesn't and all these therapists and pill pushing shrinks would be out of work if we could just chose to be okay.

Bad things happen to good and bad people, and when it does, it's hard to feel good and happy about it. Put on a smile and say I'm still happy. I'm alive so that makes me happy, even though your child was killed or whatever.

We have feelings and emotions for a reason, so we experience them all. maybe we need to not let them consume us but learn that we can and do get past the bad and experience the good again.
Old 24-08-2012, 06:52 PM
CatChild

When I think about what brings me joy, I think about my family.

When they are happy and healthy, then I am happy.

When they are struggling and in despair, I feel panic and heart break.

I feel happier when I map out a plan to try and fix the situation for them.

I feel joy when I act on it.

Choice: Bypassed the angst of what brought me unhappiness and created something inside me to manifest for the outward betterment.
Old 24-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinie

Prinie... I have Tzu on "ignore", since he was pursuing me in a negative way for some time... so I have no idea what he's saying.

Xan