Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 14-07-2011, 11:39 PM
LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter
Appreciate the suggestion, although I think it would be a safe bet that the author did not derive the foundation of their values from either the (law) code of Hammurabi or the Egyptian book of the dead.

I didn't say that.
Quote:
"ethics are an intrinsic part of human nature"
Ever asked yourself why would that be so?
It's not exactly a survival skill, in fact ethics can put people in dangerous or comprimising positions quite regularly, certainly no mechanism for any (real) evolution of non physical ethics.

In terms of society, ethics certainly are a survival skill. Look into the study social evolution, you might be surprised.

Quote:
subjective values/ethics are hardly a subsitute for objective ones.

Objective according to whom?
Old 15-07-2011, 12:19 AM
sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFE
"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." - Isaiah 45:7

Oh you're quite the anxious one, note question was actually addressed to "Time" Your contextually debatable reference to the description of Gods use of Cyrus hardly provides an answer.
Old 15-07-2011, 12:44 AM
sprinter

Quote:
I didn't say that.

Well then, don't dance around the edges imparting just so historical stories, just tell us where you think the author got their ethics.

Quote:
In terms of society, ethics certainly are a survival skill. Look into the study social evolution, you might be surprised.

And you might be really surprised to know ethical/moral actions like jumping into a swollen flood river to save someone, assisting a person being mugged, or even exposing a high officials corruption can terminate your existence real quick,, so much for survival skill!

Quote:
Objective according to whom?

According to reality.
Old 15-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Time

Sprinter - I should say, that i dont believe in it. I can only say what i know from my own reading.

Second, The bible doesnt say HOW he created evil. Id have to assume the "equil and opposite reaction" thing came into play. The bible never said how the angels or anything else was created cept for us ( which I personaly find a bit fishy)

Im more then well aware of the contradiction that god created evil, yet he is "perfect and just" and all that...
Old 15-07-2011, 03:50 AM
Master
Quote:
Oh you're quite the anxious one, note question was actually addressed to "Time" Your contextually debatable reference to the description of Gods use of Cyrus hardly provides an answer.

why is it that when a Christian quotes a Bible verse to prove some point it's the Word of God but when a nonChristian quotes a Bible verse for the same reason the verse is always somehow "taken out of context"?

it's the strangest thing.
Old 15-07-2011, 11:36 AM
sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Queries
why is it that when a Christian quotes a Bible verse to prove some point it's the Word of God but when a nonChristian quotes a Bible verse for the same reason the verse is always somehow "taken out of context"?

it's the strangest thing.

Worlds full of strange things IQ, makes it an interesting place.
Like when a non-Christian quotes the opinions of naturalist science as 'hard empirical facts' but when a Christian quotes some admission made by a naturalist scientist to expose a fabrication it is always said to have been "taken out of context."

Honestly, because in both instances, people being people, it's a high possibility.
Old 15-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Worlds full of strange things IQ, makes it an interesting place.
Like when a non-Christian quotes the opinions of naturalist science as 'hard empirical facts' but when a Christian quotes some admission made by a naturalist scientist to expose a fabrication it is always said to have been "taken out of context."

Honestly, because in both instances, people being people, it's a high possibility.

true enough but it's hypocrisy in either and both cases. and if one is a Christian one might want to be very careful about being a hypocrite since Jesus seemed to have had a special dislike for hypocrites.

oh wait! i keep forgetting. Christians can pretty much do, and say and be as they please since their "sins" are forgiven as a matter of course.

carry on.

(i almost feel sorry Jesus. due to his contract with his followers he's gotta live for an eternity with every kind of undisciplined self indulgent deceitful, even murderous person if they happen to be Christian.)
Old 15-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Master

Quote:
"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." - Isaiah 45:7

Here is what that verse says in the English Standard Version:
I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the Lord, who does all these things.

The word evil has more than one meaning. Here is how the World English Dictionary defines it:
evil (ˈiːv ə l) adj 1. morally wrong or bad; wicked: an evil ruler 2. causing harm or injury; harmful: an evil plan 3. marked or accompanied by misfortune; unlucky: an evil fate 4. (of temper, disposition, etc) characterized by anger or spite 5. not in high esteem; infamous: an evil reputation 6. offensive or unpleasant: an evil smell 7. slang good; excellent — n 8. the quality or an instance of being morally wrong; wickedness: the evils of war 9. ( sometimes capital ) a force or power that brings about wickedness or harm: evil is strong in the world 10. archaic an illness or disease, esp scrofula (the king's evil ) — adv 11. ( now usually in combination ) in an evil manner; badly: evil-smelling

In any discussion of evil it is important to know which definition is being used. The Isaiah quotation you cited is obviously using meanings 2 and 3. But God is never the source of evil in the first definition, what which is morally wrong.

Old 16-07-2011, 12:54 AM
sprinter

Quote:
true enough but it's hypocrisy in either and both cases. and if one is a Christian one might want to be very careful about being a hypocrite since Jesus seemed to have had a special dislike for hypocrites.

But you don't believe in all those stories and you don't believe Jesus is who He claimed to be,, at least thats what you keep posting, so I'm wondering why the obsessive concern.

Quote:
oh wait! i keep forgetting. Christians can pretty much do, and say and be as they please since their "sins" are forgiven as a matter of course.

carry on.

False,, seek to improve your understanding of how the salvation of Christ works, this is nothing but an parody, a strawman nourished with sour grapes.

Quote:
(i almost feel sorry Jesus. due to his contract with his followers he's gotta live for an eternity with every kind of undisciplined self indulgent deceitful, even murderous person if they happen to be Christian.)

Once again IQ you show your understanding of Christian doctrine to be either limited or mis-informed, and as I said before unless (you) truly believe He is who He claimed to be, (you) would only be wasting time and energy worrying about it.
Old 16-07-2011, 03:21 AM
Master
Quote:
But you don't believe in all those stories and you don't believe Jesus is who He claimed to be,, at least thats what you keep posting, so I'm wondering why the obsessive concern.

False,, seek to improve your understanding of how the salvation of Christ works, this is nothing but an parody, a strawman nourished with sour grapes.

Once again IQ you show your understanding of Christian doctrine to be either limited or mis-informed, and as I said before unless (you) truly believe He is who He claimed to be, (you) would only be wasting time and energy worrying about it.

well, sorry to have poked at ya. have a nice life and afterlife.