Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 02-03-2020, 01:18 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
The brain only functions at a level capable of producing a coherent conscious experience for about 20 or 30 seconds after its oxygen supply is cut off. That's why NDEs are of such interest and especially establishing when they occur. It's why cardiac arrest patients are of particular interest.

Actually, recent studies have proven that it may in fact last up to 10 minutes.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:32 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
Actually, recent studies have proven that it may in fact last up to 10 minutes.

You're going to have to cite that research because I'm not aware of it.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:34 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
You're going to have to cite that research because I'm not aware of it.

https://www.sciencealert.com/brain-a...-human-science

You're welcome.

I have to add: 10 minutes is literally a rare case. But this does seem to prove that it can last longer than just 20 to 40 seconds.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:54 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
https://www.sciencealert.com/brain-a...-human-science

You're welcome.

I have to add: 10 minutes is literally a rare case. But this does seem to prove that it can last longer than just 20 to 40 seconds.

You're basing your assertion from one recording of one patient and when the other three showed no such activity? So your statement saying "recent studies have proven" is inaccurate on several counts. It's only one study, and only one patient out of four. Furthermore the researchers caution not to jump to conclusions and to me that does not comport with "proven".

From the article:

"Before we get into the actual findings, the researchers are being very cautious about the implications, saying it's far too early to be talking about what this could mean for our post-death experience, especially considering their sample size is one.

In the absence of any biological explanation for how brain activity could possibly continue several minutes after the heart has stopped beating, the researchers said the scan could be the result of some kind of error at the time of recording.

But they were at a loss to explain what that error could be, as the medical equipment showed no signs of malfunction, meaning the source of the anomaly cannot be confirmed - biologically or otherwise.

"It is difficult to posit a physiological basis for this EEG activity given that it occurs after a prolonged loss of circulation," the researchers wrote.

"These waveform bursts could, therefore, be artefactual [human error] in nature, although an artefactual source could not be identified.""

The fact of the matter is every other study - how many would that be, tens of thousands? -
show no such indication that the cerebral cortex is functioning after loss of blood pressure. And you're claiming as fact one anomaly from one study from over a year ago? Check that, it's almost a three year old study that hasn't yet been replicated. Why not? Do you remember the faster than light neutrino from CERN to Italy?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-a7620131.html

The research could have huge medical and ethical implications for things such as organ donation

Andrew Griffin @_andrew_griffin
Thursday 9 March 2017 10:42
117 comments
Old 02-03-2020, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean breeze
Are you trying to show off that you can count to 11?
Did it impress you? I hope so.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 02-03-2020, 02:13 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
You're basing your assertion from one recording of one patient and when the other three showed no such activity? So your statement saying "recent studies have proven" is inaccurate on several counts. It's only one study, and only one patient out of four. Furthermore the researchers caution not to jump to conclusions and to me that does not comport with "proven".

From the article:

"Before we get into the actual findings, the researchers are being very cautious about the implications, saying it's far too early to be talking about what this could mean for our post-death experience, especially considering their sample size is one.

In the absence of any biological explanation for how brain activity could possibly continue several minutes after the heart has stopped beating, the researchers said the scan could be the result of some kind of error at the time of recording.

But they were at a loss to explain what that error could be, as the medical equipment showed no signs of malfunction, meaning the source of the anomaly cannot be confirmed - biologically or otherwise.

"It is difficult to posit a physiological basis for this EEG activity given that it occurs after a prolonged loss of circulation," the researchers wrote.

"These waveform bursts could, therefore, be artefactual [human error] in nature, although an artefactual source could not be identified.""

The fact of the matter is every other study - how many would that be, tens of thousands? -
show no such indication that the cerebral cortex is functioning after loss of blood pressure. And you're claiming as fact one anomaly from one study from over a year ago? Check that, it's almost a three year old study that hasn't yet been replicated. Why not? Do you remember the faster than light neutrino from CERN to Italy?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-a7620131.html

The research could have huge medical and ethical implications for things such as organ donation

Andrew Griffin @_andrew_griffin
Thursday 9 March 2017 10:42
117 comments

Ok 'study' then, if you don't mind the error. I was already aware of the date the article was placed, but three years doesn't seem that long imho, given how fast time goes by. The article also says ''But they were at a loss to explain what that error could be, as the medical equipment showed no signs of malfunction, meaning the source of the anomaly cannot be confirmed''. Either way, my case still stands about what I initially wrote; that your current life may be your own life memories flashing by at your final moments, even though I'm not sure about that. I'm not sure about an afterlife neither, considering how many NDEs don't actually match each other in detail and descricptions. How do you actually explain that (If you at least believe in life after death)?
Old 02-03-2020, 02:22 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Ok 'study' then, if you don't mind the error. I was already aware of the date the article was placed, but three years doesn't seem that long imho, given how fast time goes by. The article also says ''But they were at a loss to explain what that error could be, as the medical equipment showed no signs of malfunction, meaning the source of the anomaly cannot be confirmed''. Either way, my case still stands about what I initially wrote; that your current life may be your own life memories flashing by at your final moments, even though I'm not sure about that. I'm not sure about an afterlife neither, considering how many NDEs don't actually match each other in detail and descricptions. How do you actually explain that (If you at least believe in life after death)?

Actually, no it doesn't stand. That's one anomaly out of how many recordings? Thousands? Tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Millions? Tens of millions?

How many people have succumbed to cardiac arrest on the operating table and have had EEG record activity in the cerebral cortex for more than 20 seconds or so?

Here's a hint: Unexplained, anomalous and non-reproducible results in scientific studies don't mean beans. Nada. Zip. Zilch. To push that one result as otherwise smacks of a rather large confirmation bias.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:41 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Actually, no it doesn't stand.
Sorry about the confusion, but I was refering to my first post here about the possibility of this life being just a life review in your final moment. Would you mind considering the question I just asked?
Old 02-03-2020, 03:02 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Sorry about the confusion, but I was refering to my first post here about the possibility of this life being just a life review in your final moment. Would you mind considering the question I just asked?

Doubtful. Too long, too complicated, too much continuity and it's not like life reviews reported during NDEs. They are panoramic, instantaneous and often reported through an empathic lens. That is its experienced from the other's perspective so the life review experience is experiencing the impact of his/her life on others.

If you are interested look into UVA DOPS presentations. They can be found on YouTube and cover NDEs, reincarnation, paranormal and mindfulness.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:19 PM
Quote:
....life reviews reported during NDEs.
Life reviews in NDEs!?
Don't get me started - twice (for some reason - again no drugs /alcohol)
I was suddenly given or shown my life....all
these encounters and how they ALL were planned, orchestrated,
maneuvered on purpose just 'for me' perfectly...to come to 'this' moment.
Oh my.
These sudden 'visions' are pretty darn awe inspiring.
I never know when they're comin'.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru