Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Paranormal & Supernatural > Mysteries, Myths & Legends

Old 21-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Lady of the Mountain

I live in a beach town. Back in the day before the british arrived and colonised the natives, the sand dunes, stretching for over fifty kms, were used as burial grounds.
As the town has built up, a lot of developers have tried to build residential housing and estates along the beach front, but strange things keep happening to the construction crews, and when they do manage to actually get one built, there is a huge rush of people trying to get into a house on the beach. And an even bigger rush for them to get out after, at the most, a month of living in these places.
A few years ago someone decided to track these people down and ask them why they fled houses they did almost anything to get in to. The answer from them all was the same, they're haunted. That same someone made a documentry about it, and all these people were telling the same story. They would wake up to noises in the house, go to investigate, and find old warriors standing in their hallways, kitchens, bathrooms. They would be watching tv and they would hear chanting, and the chanting would get louder and louder until it seemed like someone was standing right beside them screaming in their ears.
Those were the most common stories to come out of those places, there are many, many others. Not everyone had harmless experiences, a few had violent encounters.
The council has given up trying to build along the actual beachfront, and instead builds across the road from the beach.
Old 21-06-2011, 06:41 PM
nightowl

Thanks for sharing this Lady of the Mountain. I have heard many stories about such things being stirred up when graves are disturbed.

Quote:
They would be watching TV...

This made me chuckle, just the image of these warriors watching TV ...wonder what shows they liked???

nightowl
Old 21-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Lady of the Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
This made me chuckle, just the image of these warriors watching TV ...wonder what shows they liked??? nightowl

I should have read it before I posted it. I'm still laughing.
Old 21-06-2011, 11:11 PM
nightowl

Hey, I loved it, you know it made me think that they are still very human in their actions.

nightowl
Old 21-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Time

http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Le...nt-Ojibwa.html

Any Ojibwe legend or story is from my area, but this one is the main one
Old 21-06-2011, 11:37 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Le...nt-Ojibwa.html

Any Ojibwe legend or story is from my area, but this one is the main one

Thanks Time for sharing this link. I enjoyed reading the legend. I think I remember seeing the sleeping giant when I visited Thunder Bay. Yes, I survived the mosquitoes as well!

nightowl
Old 21-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Experiencer
Location: Adelaide, Australia - but born and bred in Ireland:)
I don't know of any local legends where I am now, but back in Ireland, the most local one I know of was the Hellfire club.

Near the top of the Dublin mountains there is a little stone house. The local men would gather to play poker and drink poitín (lethal Irish alcoholic drink). One stormy night a stranger appeared at their door and asked to join there game. The men found that no matter how they cheated, this man always won the game.
After playing for many hours, one of the men dropped one of his cards, bent down to get it and saw under the table that the stranger had cloven hooves, like a goat. He became afraid and ran from the house, finally recognising that he had been playing poker with the Devil himself. The man was found later, struck dumb and wandering in the woods of the Dublin mountains, the others were never seen again.

That is the legend as we were told it, but I did a little research on it and found this http://www.askaboutireland.ie/readin...ell-fire-club/ Which is actually a much better story!

I have been to the Hellfire club - it has a very strange feel about it, quite freaky. It was also said that if you ran around it 3 times at midnight the Devil would appear.
Old 21-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Experiencer
double post
Old 22-06-2011, 12:01 AM
nightowl

Asrais,
That's one creepy story...I love stuff like this, it really gets ones imagination going in wondering about such things. Did you get any pics when you visited there? Thanks for sharing it

nightowl
Old 22-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Experiencer
I didn't, but there are some pics on the link.

There are lots of local stories about Fairy folk too. Most of them along the lines of a farmer destroying a fairy ring and his family becoming cursed.

Then there's the one about the Delorian (the car from back to the future) factory in Belfast - Its said that the factory was built on a fairy forte. They had all sorts of trouble building it and when it was finally up and running, the cars didn't sell.

Similar thing somewhere in the west, I think it was Mayo, an American guy bought a piece of land and intended to build a house. The locals warned him that what he had bought wasn't just a hill, but a fairy forte. Ignoring the warnings, the man tried to hire local men to build his house, when they refused, he hired in a team from Dublin and work began.
Every evening when the site was locked up, the man would inspect the work that had been done. Every morning something would be wrong with the house, the foundations cracked, machinery broke down, men were injured. Eventually the managed to get the house built and the man prepared his family to move in. The night before they moved in, there was a massive fire, burning the house to the ground. As the man stood looking at the charred remains of his house, he saw a procession of tall, graceful people walking toward the house, then instead of walking up the hill, they walked into it! The man finally understood that the land he owned was actually a portal into the land of Tir na Nog (land of the young/ Fairie). Giving up on his house, he kept the hill in his possession, so that no one else could bother the Fairie. He then bought another piece of land and built his house on that - it was said that he was blessed with good luck from then on.

The moral of all the stories is don't mess with the fair folk!