Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Welcome to Spiritual Forums > Forum Help

Old 18-03-2016, 06:14 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by innerlight
It wouldn't be that far out of the realms of possibilities for the forum to open to donations to get a new host, and or forum software. I'm sure there are many that would be willing to help with that to keep this place running smoothly, without even thinking twice. And it wouldn't be the first time a site has turned to it's supporters for help reaching those goals..

That sounds like an option for long term solutions in light of frequent glitches in the past up until now, and a stated intent alone might procure donations without so much as making a request for any.
Old 18-03-2016, 06:46 AM
Suspended

@ Gem - The other forum I was a part of would periodically encourage donations by creating and tacking a thread called "Biennial Begging" (LOL!) on the top subforum....basically it was to help drum up donations to pay for 2 years worth of service to keep the forum running...Similar to SF, this other forum was paid for by the Admin team and donations. They did not believe in using advertisements to help pay for the forum as they felt going ad-free provided a better community for the whole. Also similar to SF, this other forum had a donation button where people could donate whenever any time of the year...however the most donations received occurred when attention was called to the cause, via creating and tacking a thread asking for donations...

I want to make it clear I'm not trying to overstep my boundaries here or trying to "Mod" my way in or anything (to be honest, this is something I'm getting away from so I can work on my spiritual self). I'm merely speaking from personal experience and knowing what helped and what worked...If this is something the Admin team here already knows about and/or are currently considering, then please disregard my ramblings...

;P
Old 18-03-2016, 07:33 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnia
@ Gem - The other forum I was a part of would periodically encourage donations by creating and tacking a thread called "Biennial Begging" (LOL!) on the top subforum....basically it was to help drum up donations to pay for 2 years worth of service to keep the forum running...Similar to SF, this other forum was paid for by the Admin team and donations. They did not believe in using advertisements to help pay for the forum as they felt going ad-free provided a better community for the whole. Also similar to SF, this other forum had a donation button where people could donate whenever any time of the year...however the most donations received occurred when attention was called to the cause, via creating and tacking a thread asking for donations...

I want to make it clear I'm not trying to overstep my boundaries here or trying to "Mod" my way in or anything (to be honest, this is something I'm getting away from so I can work on my spiritual self). I'm merely speaking from personal experience and knowing what helped and what worked...If this is something the Admin team here already knows about and/or are currently considering, then please disregard my ramblings...

;P

It's never been the way, here at Sf, to actively seek or request donations from the members, and I'm pretty sure that's based on spiritual principles that founded this forum, but on the other hand, members are generally interested in any changes that might be made, and of course are free to make donations at any time, or not, having no obligations what-so-ever where no expectations are suggested. Nor are there personal benefits involved, and I think it's set up properly where contributions are solely out of kindness and for the benefit of others.

It looks to me, like this extends to there being no advertising revenue or any imcomes paid to the owners or staff - in my view, this a form of purity in the sense of giving without expecting anything in return.
Old 18-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Knower
This site's problems have nothing to do with the forum software. I have done a traceroute to the site's address and see that there is an unresponsive server just before this one, and the name is not resolving so I couldn't make a reasonable guess as to what it is, but could imagine it is connected to the hosting company.

Probably a hardware failure of some kind like a switch as is usually the case with these types of issues. Why this would be neglected on any major webhost, I cannot imagine. Since spiritualforums has its own nameservers it looks like it might be hosted off some private box, which is also problematic and bound to fail sometime, especially if it isn't well looked after.

That said, this does look like an incredibly old version of VB, which is itself a security issue.
Old 18-03-2016, 11:05 AM
Lorelyen

^^^ I don't like to be a free-rider. It hasn't escaped my notice that advertising is missing from the site so the site owners are having to pay outright. I'd make a contribution if it would restore things.

I counted them - it took 33 refreshes just to get to this page and I've no idea how many tries I'll have to make to post this. I'll put this on the clipboard in expectation of several tries.

Old 18-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulsInMotion
This site's problems have nothing to do with the forum software. I have done a traceroute to the site's address and see that there is an unresponsive server just before this one, and the name is not resolving so I couldn't make a reasonable guess as to what it is, but could imagine it is connected to the hosting company.

Probably a hardware failure of some kind like a switch as is usually the case with these types of issues. Why this would be neglected on any major webhost, I cannot imagine. Since spiritualforums has its own nameservers it looks like it might be hosted off some private box, which is also problematic and bound to fail sometime, especially if it isn't well looked after.

That said, this does look like an incredibly old version of VB, which is itself a security issue.
Well, if a contribution would help I'll do my bit but otherwise I'll pop back in a couple of days to see if things are faster.

I took well over 100 refreshes to get my last message up.
Old 18-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Experiencer

I bet it's been sabotaged lol!

all this talk of spirituality and freedom of expression....the paranoid version!
Old 18-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Ascender
I'm having difficulty with the forum loading properly. It only happens after I log in. There is something sinister going on.
Old 18-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Suspended

@ Gem - Hey, thanks for explaining some of the history behind the creation of SF...I really appreciate it...

@ SoulsInMotion - Ugh, hosting issues are a royal pain for sure....I'm no guru on the specifics but my previous experiences recall much headaches involved in getting the problem resolved...I also agree with you about older versions of vBulletin being security issues/wonky forum issues...that's why the other forum I was part of eventually went to an upgrade...With the other forum it was a combo of both hosting problems and outdated VB software...not saying the issues are exactly the same for SF, I can only speculate...

I want to clarify I'm not trying to push anything here...I understand the Admin team are doing the absolute best within their control and I feel they want to keep the best interest's of the forum in mind....I also understand what works for some forums may not be of the best interest for another....but from experience with assisting with "behind the scenes" forum issues, I can definitely sympathize with how frustrating it is for the Admin team when stuff like this happens to forums...
Old 18-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Administrator
Hello

I can update you all that we have got this issue in the works. We are going to get it sorted firm and final this time. I have been here since Feb 2006 and I know well the value of this place and my passions is strong to keep it going and to rebuild it back up again.

Issues have to stop and we will get there as I will not give up on that. If it was not for SF I would not have the wonderful hubby I have that I met here on SF and he would maybe not be in the land of the living if he had not met me on SF.

This is an informative place, a compassionate place and most of all thanks to the dedications of the volunteer staff and bless them Matt's Mother and GF (that suffered the greatest of loss ).

We will get there put the LIGHT on us doing so.

Lynn
SF Admin