Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 07-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Master
personality is reconstructed moment to moment from memories.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Phroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Perhaps that is what I am doing, but to me the implicit character of the 'spirit' seems plain to observe.

How is it that you're observing spirit? You're observing objects. Do all objects have character to you? If so, what do you mean by character?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
I need to start a new thread on this 'personality' business to get something clear to myself.

It seems there are two ways of looking at personality; one is that it is the product of the mind, and the other that it stems from *beyond* the mind.

To me personality is *deeper* then the mind. It is a characteristic of the source.

I am not thinking about the *false* personality of the Ego/Mind but rather THE CHARACTER OF THE SOUL!!!

I believe that the soul has character or personality. The source is the spring from which all character and people personality stems.

Think of it this way: the character of the beauty of Nature stems from from the SOURCE. It is a reflection of the sources 'personality'.

Or; the difference in character between ALL the different people is a reflection of the infinite personality of The Source.

I'm not talking about the MINDS 'persona' here - but rather the character of the SOUL or SPIRIT.

I basically agree.

Even if we dropped the 'personality' of the mind/ego right now fully, there would still be an individuality, a personality, a character. I think there is a unique essence, a unique soul, a unique beingness. It shines through the eyes, it shines through the body. And actually I think this becomes even more apparent as we drop the mind/ego personality.

I dont see the 'personality' of the mind/ego as false as such, I just see it as a temporary aspect.

The tricky thing I think is that when we believe stuff about our character, or individuality we actually strengthen the mind/ego personality. If I believe that 'I am kind' I am in ego. If I believe that 'I am stupid' I am in ego.

So although I do see a uniqueness to each being, I think we need to be very wary about the way we assign attributes and characteristics. I see the uniqueness as a flavour which basically has the capacity for all behaviour potentials. Just because I might be a yellow and you might be purple doesnt necessarily mean that either you or I are more kind or clever or loyal or reliable or good at Maths. We have to see beyond these labels as they effectively put us in prison. At a core level we are Source itself and our flavour shines out from this.

So its kind of weird. I can look at individuals on the forum that I am pretty familiar with in some ways....Phroggy, Robert for example....and I can see that I am not Phroggy or Robert, and they are not each other. There is a difference and I would say the actuality of difference has become MORE clear the longer I have been on the forum. Which is cool. Yet I actually cannot pick out the differences in personality or character, its as if I am rendered speechless when it comes to actually comparing. The most I can say is that we are each a unique flavour yet binded by the light, in the same way that a rainbow is made up of many colours yet is binded by virtue of being a rainbow. The core level is one of sameness, and then difference arises out of that. The sameness is more fundamental, but without difference we would have no reference for the sameness, so in its own way, the difference is also very important.

Oh yeah, having had cats and dogs, I do see them as each having a personality or character too. Their mind/ego personality is not developed though because they dont have the same self-awareness as humans.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:34 AM
3dnow

If in each incarnation we come to earth to learn some lessons this would mean that each soul may have some different properties (because they need and learn different lessons)?

I personally have some properties that I cannot explain with what I learned in this lifetime.

3dnow
Old 07-11-2010, 08:37 AM
kadmilos

Personality appears to be one of those loaded blurry words. I move to strike the word from our vocabulary and declare it anathema to coherent discourse. Who is with me?!!

When we win the war and I am the leader, i promise to continue the fight against other vague concepts, like truth, real, and consciousness.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dnow
If in each incarnation we come to earth to learn some lessons this would mean that each soul may have some different properties (because they need and learn different lessons)?

I personally have some properties that I cannot explain with what I learned in this lifetime.

3dnow

Yes, the problem is we identify and attach to these perceived properties and it puts us in prison. My opinion is that many are here on earth at this time to actually release the need to identify and attach to perceived properties i.e to release the need to BE an individual (though when we release this need we are still individual)
Old 07-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadmilos
Personality appears to be one of those loaded blurry words. I move to strike the word from our vocabulary and declare it anathema to coherent discourse. Who is with me?!!

Well personally it doesn't bother me ... there will always be another word to replace it which will earn just as much dislike ...

A belated welcome back to the community Kadmilos ... edited to add that I think your energy is very welcome here ... I can be very rude sometimes
Old 07-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Master
Ive just been reflecting further on what I said.

The funny thing is that if I was actually asked to compare differences between me, Phroggy and Robert (I will use these examples as I used them initially), I would only be able to make a comparison at what I see at a soul level. I might say something like....'an older/younger' soul, I might talk about where they are from at that soul level, I might talk about what they might be getting out of their time here on earth. It would all just be a 'sense'.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Master
I feel we place meaning to all things as human nature deems so, but in spirit there is only source and nothing is separate...there is no this or that. Detachment brings us to a place that has no emotional input or desire to label everything.
Does that all matter? Not really. We are what we are and so be it. Feel and know what you will, there is nothing wrong in that...only adventurous.
Cheers
Old 07-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSpirit
I feel we place meaning to all things as human nature deems so, but in spirit there is only source and nothing is separate...there is no this or that. Detachment brings us to a place that has no emotional input or desire to label everything.
Does that all matter? Not really. We are what we are and so be it. Feel and know what you will, there is nothing wrong in that...only adventurous.
Cheers

Humans clearly apply meaning as you say, but I think if we look closely, I think we can even see that animals also have a very basic system of meaning application, it could possibly be argued that even plants have a very minimalist system of meaning with the way they lean towards the sun or the rain.

The relative and subjective nature of meaning itself suggests to me that there is an individuality at some level. Absoluteness is Source itself. At Source level there is no meaning. Its at the level of Creation that there is subjective and relative meaning. At the level of Creation, relating happens, and where there is 'relating' there is meaning and there is individuality.

I see human mental suffering as the desire and WANT to be an individual. Which is kind of funny in its own way. I think being at peace requires accepting ourselves as somebody and nobody, as someone and no-one, as all and nothing. Then the individuality shines without the mind/ego personality (self-image) aspect.