Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 01-05-2012, 12:26 PM
spiritualized

Those with severe mental health conditions; especially clinical depression, bi-polar, & schizophrenia; are statistically far less likely to commit violence than the general public, & far more likely to be victims of crime & violence (by 'normals').

There are exceptions - but your far safer around the 'mentally ill' in general - than you are 'normals'.

Does mental illness = nastiness. No; I don't think that it does; far from it. Some people are just nasty - regardless of a mental illness or not - I don't think that the 2 are equated.

Psychopathy/forensic psychiatry is another ball game; & different area. There is usually co-morbidity. The greatest indicator of violence/nastiness (in anyone) is primarily alcohol & drugs use. Brain differences in psyhopathy is also less marked than in other disorders. I think that there is something else going on entirely in those inclined to nastiness & violence; & I don't think it's something that can be blamed on upbringing.

Lets not also forget that most of 'our' leaders & politicians are psycho/socio-pathic - & 'we' exonerate them.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence
I was thinking something similar. It seems that "nasty" sometimes consists of simple differences of opinion or conflicting goals among different people or cultures. What is forbidden and taboo for one is not for another.

Our culture definitely makes arguments for certain kinds of "nasty" being a mental disorder. Look up "antisocial personality disorder," better known as psychopathy/sociopathy. Keep in mind that mental illnesses classification is based on cultural norms.

Actually Sociopaths are incapable of understanding the emotional pain they cause others. They have no ability to empathize. That is a mental disorder. That is however, not to say that just because you don't get along with someone they are a Sociopath.

Furthermore, there is a difference between being non-social and being a Sociopath.

The way modern psychology is going more and more people who experience social discomfort or would be seen as "non-social" are falling into some category of Autism or another. My theory is with time Autism will just be a term used to reference "Social Personality" and there will be a form of Autism to distinguish each type.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Lauraye

Angel1

Through out my life I have encountered many people with MH issues, I find they tend to have good hearts deep down and have more intouch with others feelings!! I feel that nastiness is a sign of unhappiness, puting people down and constant meaness is a sign that you are unhappy with your life..... The glass is always half full to me... I think when you are content then everything falls in to place no matter if you have a disorder- I myself have went through dark times and have thot I have hit rock bottom only to be in a worse state than before but when your life is happy and humble again you appreciate it even more.... I thing bad emotions can drain you more when you are enjoying something you never get tierd of that feeling... Xx
Old 15-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Knower
i see alot of nasty people on a daily basis here, i should say most of my life, kinda of used of them being that way, my granmother used to say to me only the mean ones cry, i do see the meanest people cry alot, the nice people hardly cry, so my granmother's saying is true to me, i think when children see this alot when theyre grown up they think it's natural to be this mean, so theyre trained at a young age to be mean dancing machines
Old 20-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude
There are different kinds of nasty, as other posters have said before. You would have to describe what you mean by ''nasty''.

Take certain kinds of nasty that you find everywhere but is concentrated in the prison population or on probation. You will find upon testing that a high percentage have either borderline personality disorder or antisocial pers. dis. After getting used to the typology of personality disorder, you don't see just nasty people but explain everything in psychological terms.

But would a personality disorder be considered ''insane''? It's a disorder but may not qualify as insane.

No, a personality disorder is not considered insane, or even a mental illness, according to the DSM-IV at least. Perhaps it may change (there is a DSM-V now). The 'Mask of Sanity' is a good book about Psychopathy apparently, but i like the title and kind of feel the same way. Meaning that someone with some type of anti-social pd may technically not be 'crazy' in the delusional, schizophrenic sense; but in the sense that they are largely devoid of any moral compass to me is 'crazy' at a whole other, perhaps deeper level.

From the research, homework, study etc. i did on the subject at school, i only ever heard of one case where sociopaths were ever 'cured', and that was Elizabeth Kubler Ross (i believe..) doing some sort of thing where prison inmates would slam a pillow on a bed, as therapy and whatever else. (Not sure of the other details, it was only mentioned in passing briefly in a paper).

But i can be nasty sometimes too, as much as i may not mean to, as can other people without such personality disorders. I think it may have to sometimes with feelings of resentment, bitterness towards someone/some situation. Being too hard on ourselves as well.

I'm certainly not a fan of nasty though, and if it is a consistent occurrence with someone, then you start to wonder.

My 2 cents for now.

Peace. ~