Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 04-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
you don't need anyone's permission to believe the way you do

This ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy
I'm not religious, but I believe in a god
And this ^

You're not gonna to hell if you dont belong to a church.
You can still be spiritual and believe in God without attending church
Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Master

Hi Greg!

I would say stop trying to figure everything out and just let it go. It's natural to want to find the answers, but it's unrealistic to think we can understand everything. If you really want to believe you have all the answers, religion can help you there, but I don't think it's very healthy. It's better imo to just be honest and accept we don't know everything, because it's the ego that wants to control and possess. Freedom comes from letting go.

That doesn't mean religion can't be helpful and meaningful, but just don't take anything TOO seriously. I think that's why religions have such a rocky past, because they take themselves too seriously.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:46 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
I practice meditatin daily, twice a day if I can. I like Vippassana meditation but I feel like I shouldn't be doing that meditation because I'm not a theravada Buddhist.
I don't know what to do. I wish someone could just tell me how it is, but they can't. I have to figure this out for myself and it's putting me in a lot of conflict.
With your affinity to Buddhism may I suggest that you look at Pureland Buddhism. One of the better books to read could be "River of Fire, River of Water" by Taitetsu Unno.

There are many Zen master who have successfully combined the 2 practices into what is known as Pureland Zen.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:14 AM
b0bby

im gonna save some typing and agree with daisys reply!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Master
Hello Greg,

Read the OP and some of the responses here.

What I notice is you are not alone. Look at all the responses here. It seems you are going through a shift with in yourself.

Not to tell you what to do, but to give some suggestions.

Have you look into what churches in your area my best fit into what you are seeking at this time. Such as Universal churches or a Spiritualist church. If it is a church you wish to join. Some are good places to meet people and have groups for discussing spiritual matters.

If it is not a church, then look for groups that meet up for meditation and/or discussing spiritual matters.

It sounds to me like perhaps you need to get out there and find some things and people that may help in finding direction. Look to others for direction, but follow what rings true to you.

Go with your heart and what makes you find some peace with yourself.
If a meditation technique works or helps you, then so what if you do not follow the "religion" behind it. Perhaps develop your own style that works for you.

Hang in there and also perhaps check and see if what you are feeling has something physical involved. (just suggesting, not saying it does). Look at your diet and how physically active you are.

For what I find for myself that the mind, body, and spirit are connected and one has to take care of all aspects of what makes one up.

Presenting this to give some ideas.

Wish you well.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone0728
I think many of us are on this forum because we have the same sort of problem. Otherwise we'd be in church. You're spiritual, not religious really. If you choose a religion that's great, but it's secondary to you understanding yourself. All the barriers you're experiencing are just fear of failure. You're afraid to do it WRONG. Be assured there is no wrong way. Be not afraid, love you
I like this Tone...

If you look at the threads that try to define what spirituality is, you will see a million opinions. There is being spiritual and there is using a tool to become more spiritual. That's how I distinguish spirituality from religion. One is the being and the other involves a certain way of doing. Unfortunately few people practice what they preach or religions wouldn't have such a bad rap. Religions do have many useful tools and offer the wisdom of people who have succeeded. Religions were not begun by the people they idolize but by their followers - that's an important point because the moment someone reaches a pure state of consciousness they express spiritual qualities in everything they do - so they no longer need religion anymore. This is a gradual process. When people have begun to outgrow the need for an organized religion (or let's say to buy into it completely) they start to move away from it and the journey takes them more inside themselves and life itself becomes the church or the temple. This has been my process and from the many people I've done readings for on this forum, theirs as well.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 PM
mattie

Choosing What Resonates With You From Different Belief Systems

Having a deep spirituality is completely different than religion, extending far beyond religion.

You’ve got some very useful beliefs. These aren’t Polly Anna’ish at all. They’re spot on. Having the freedom to choose from any belief system what works, declining what doesn’t & the flexibility to adjust these beliefs as you grow & expand spiritually can make for a very strong belief system.

Use whatever meditations you want. You need not adopt the whole philosophy. Sometimes basic grounding can be useful.

What are you depressed about? Why do you feel as if you can’t take it anymore & are falling apart? Talking about it can be useful sometimes.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Master
I just said this to someone in another thread, Greg, who is also working toward spiritual growth but still not satisfied.

Go Deeper!

Xan