Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 13-12-2023, 10:25 AM
Master

ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by green1
1. Ignorance
Ignorance is more relevant here .To put it differently wrong /confused association of narrow material matters to self and placing overriding disproportionate importance to such self - is the cause of ego you described.

But as someone else also explained not all ego is bad. Only the one giving overriding importance to self demeaning others self is bad. There can be ego without this pitfalls and in fact such kind of ego can be good for our development because without ego, one can's be assertive in life and one' interactions with others will simply stop or not worthwhile .
Old 13-12-2023, 01:57 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBlue
Thanks.... You're blue too ?

Yes, blue....

on the blue (big) hotel that sometimes feels very cold.

~
Old 13-12-2023, 02:10 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos1982
Yes, blue....
on the blue (big) hotel that sometimes feels very cold.
Sometimes I feel I need a jolt to get me out of here ..

What am I doing here without love
Old 13-12-2023, 03:02 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
Ignorance is more relevant here .

Thanks for sharing your POV.

Thanks everyone.
Old 14-12-2023, 05:07 AM
Master

Quote:
Which one is the cause of ego?

1. Ignorance
2. Lack of self-love

I myself think neither of those is the cause. I believe we are living in a creation made by a very advanced being or beings (compared to human knowledge.)

I would reason, since I believe the human animal is an intelligent creation and a design, if humans have ego's it's existence would logically be a part of the design of a human being. So the cause would be the design ultimately the one or many who took part in that design.

I get there are beliefs that one can be free of ego and I too believe that to be the case. Be free in moments, in degrees, etc. I don't think it's an on or off switch in most but we can learn to be less egotistical and self centered for sure.

I think maybe the question is not the cause of ego itself, but the cause of people being identified with it. Attached to it. I would say the answer to that is ignorance. Not enough self awareness and knowledge, experience. Which to me is the whole point of the existence of ego. Why we were created to form an ego. I think whoever created the current situation we are in, which to me is a spirit or soul merged with a human body and it's mind (and ego) The point to me then is our creator or creators designed this whole thing to make spirit or soul increase in awareness.

Ego basically will always lead to conflict and suffering and so as an intelligent being, we will always seek to be free of suffering (especially the self caused kind) so I think eventually, all will seek a way to be free of ego and to me there is only one way, to be self realized, which is to put away ego or the false self. The way is more awareness.

I think awareness is like the gold of higher beings. The most important and valuable thing that exists. To be aware of more is so valuable I think that our entire world was deigned for one purpose. To increase the awareness of souls. Ego exists as a way to motivate one to be more self aware as I think awareness is needed to free oneself from the chains of ego and self centeredness.
Old 14-12-2023, 05:18 AM
Master

Quote:
1. Ignorance
2. Lack of self-love

I would add love can also lead one to less ego as the point is to be less selfish and self centered. It's like the different paths of yoga. Different paths that result in the same goal.

Karma Yoga – the yoga of action and selfless service
Bhakti Yoga – the yoga of devotion
Rāja Yoga – the yoga of meditation (not how most selfishly meditate)
Jñāna Yoga – the yoga of will and intellect

I think really one can do all of these at the same time and probably do. Because if one is on a "less ego" path, one would naturally do all those things in a certain non-dogmatic way.
Old 14-12-2023, 06:29 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Hello,
Which one is the cause of ego?
1. Ignorance
2. Lack of self-love
for me its not that simple
if you are human you have a ego and important part of being a human in giving you freedom of choice. it helps you have your unique experience of all that is

like all things here its balance in seeing where it works and dose not work for you

to deny it is like denying your spiritual side
Old 14-12-2023, 11:05 AM
Guide
Thanks for sharing your opinions everyone.
Old 14-12-2023, 11:18 PM
Knower

For me ego is training the qualities of the positive ego and the negative ego, how they influence the expression of our True Self. When we’re conscious of the forces that hold us back or keep us from our greatness we can become empowered to shift ourselves and redefine our identity. This allows us to take on a roll as leader from a more balanced and self-aware position. By knowing ourselves we are able to have greater choice and influence over our behaviours as well as create a more positive impact as a leader. Empowering the self, higher self.
Old 14-12-2023, 11:42 PM
Master

i was thinking today, that cause of ego for me seems to be a certain configuration of energy fields (for lack of a better word) around the body. There at least seems a correlation between that configuration and me wanting to act more egotistically....