Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 30-11-2015, 08:11 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain
I prefer to say Namaste aloud or silently, works better for me. "The divine in me acknowledges and honors the divine in you". Easy, no extra reasoning or logic required.

No offence, I personally don't like using that word and don't like when other people use it on me, unless it is said by an indian in the correct context. I thought it meant "bowing to you". And I also thought it was Hindu.

Either way it truly doesn't make sense to me when people steal words and rituals from other cultures without knowing what they truly mean and/or giving it new meaning.

I don't think we need to use words that are popular in new age communities or yoga classes just to sound more spiritual.
I wish people could just be themselves and stop talking like how they think spiritual people should sound like.

Oh and another thing that I don't like about "namaste" is the people who think it means "my soul recognizes yours". Most of the time, they really don't. Why would they say that if it's not true. I guess recognizing that we are all one is a lot different than telling someone that you recognize their soul and that you have a soul connection to them, but a lot of people seem to think namaste means that. I think that if I truly felt that way about someone, I wouldn't say it using 1 word. Namaste has become as belittling as calling a stranger "buddy" in this day of age, at least that's how I hear most people using it these days.
Old 30-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Lorelyen

Well, there may be some truth (common use of the word) in what you say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokutah
Because when I forgive someone I want them to forgive me also - there is always 2 sides to a disagreement afterall.
...which I find rather presumptuous - you bring an expectation into your act of forgiving. And if they don't forgive you....?

Quote:
Whenever someone insults you it's because they feel threatened by you for some reason.
Sometimes, without doubt. But the insult could be derisory, could be because you don't meet their expectations, could be gratuitous denigration etc.

Quote:
Probably because in this day of age, no matter what you say or don't say, you will always hurt someones feelings without meaning to

People everywhere are so insecure these days that you can easily hurt them without realizing it.

Yes. As Walter Cronkite used to say, "And that's the way it is."

Old 30-11-2015, 04:46 PM
Master
Quote:
No offence, I personally don't like using that word and don't like when other people use it on me, unless it is said by an indian in the correct context. I thought it meant "bowing to you". And I also thought it was Hindu.

Either way it truly doesn't make sense to me when people steal words and rituals from other cultures without knowing what they truly mean and/or giving it new meaning.

I don't think we need to use words that are popular in new age communities or yoga classes just to sound more spiritual.
I wish people could just be themselves and stop talking like how they think spiritual people should sound like.

Oh and another thing that I don't like about "namaste" is the people who think it means "my soul recognizes yours". Most of the time, they really don't. Why would they say that if it's not true. I guess recognizing that we are all one is a lot different than telling someone that you recognize their soul and that you have a soul connection to them, but a lot of people seem to think namaste means that. I think that if I truly felt that way about someone, I wouldn't say it using 1 word. Namaste has become as belittling as calling a stranger "buddy" in this day of age, at least that's how I hear most people using it these days.

In Hinduism it means "I bow to the divine in you"

Your misunderstanding and devalueing of the actual word and definition of the word is creating a lot of trigger points and reactions for you.

When in doubt look up the meaning of a word before developing mental judgments, attachment and having emotions around other people using it who most likely actually know the meaning of it and mean it in reverence when they say it.
Old 30-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Knower
I don't believe there is anything to forgive. All IS as it should be.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:50 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalSong
In Hinduism it means "I bow to the divine in you"

Your misunderstanding and devalueing of the actual word and definition of the word is creating a lot of trigger points and reactions for you.

When in doubt look up the meaning of a word before developing mental judgments, attachment and having emotions around other people using it who most likely actually know the meaning of it and mean it in reverence when they say it.

Atually I did look up the meaning of the word, and it means "I bow to you" according to wikipedia lol.

And your psychological evaluation of me is interesting, but wrong. And please remember that I have the right to my opinions. I said "no offence" for a reason.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Master
I looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently your Wiki is different from mine or there is some other explanation......

"Namaste (/ˈnɑːməsteɪ/, NAH-məs-tay; Hindi/Nepali: नमस्ते Hindi: [nəməsteː] ( listen)), NAH-məs-tay), sometimes spoken as Namaskar, Namaskaram or Vanakkam, is a respectful form of greeting in Hindu custom, found on the Indian Subcontinent mainly in Nepal and India and among the Indian diaspora.[1][2][3] It is used both for salutation and valediction.[4][5] Namaste is usually spoken with a slight bow and hands pressed together, palms touching and fingers pointing upwards, thumbs close to the chest. This gesture is called AƱjali Mudrā or Pranamasana.[6] In Hinduism it means "I bow to the divine in you".[1][7] The greeting may also be spoken without the gesture or the gesture performed wordlessly, carrying the same meaning.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Deactivated Account

Wow, this thread grew legs quick. Keep it friendly folks.

Unrelated, but I do like the song Unconditional Love by 2Pac which I was just hearing on my playlist on my drive home. So nice to be in synch with you all
Old 02-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless
Having unconditional love in your heart is the only way to reach true happiness. Unconditional love is gained in the process of discovering your true self, and realizing the relationship of you and whole universe. It's not something that you strive after or try to obtain.

Next time someone gives you a dirty look, just remember that you both are part of something greater. All of our struggles and conflicts with each other are just silly.

One Love

My mum has unconditional love

She passed into spirit on October 26th 1999

In a vision I saw her coming to me at the side of Glastonbury Tor, standing 9 feet 9 inches tall dressed in a long blue dress

This was exactly the same place I had been previously that day

She was the goddess ISIS

Now she's a Rainbow Angel, holding the keys for a new age in the year 2043

https://www.facebook.com/Sean Baker
https://twitter.com/Sean Baker
[/color]
Old 02-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain

I prefer to say Namaste aloud or silently, works better for me. "The divine in me acknowledges and honors the divine in you". Easy, no extra reasoning or logic required.

Quote:
Oh and another thing that I don't like about "namaste" is the people who think it means "my soul recognizes yours". Most of the time, they really don't. Why would they say that if it's not true.

Captain, agreed.

I think the "The divine in me acknowledges and honors the divine in you" is clear and understandable, and I do think many people understand what they are saying.

It is is the divine in ourselves and others...call it the higher self, the soul, or what have you...it is the divine in others which is of Love, which is loving at core, and which can easily and seamlessly be loved unconditionally.

In the waking world, people are often cruel, brutal even, and their presence may very expressly be harmful or traumatic to others. Their intentions, words, and deeds are often cruel, hostile, exploitative, and/or unkind, and thus are harmful to others on all levels. Often, we cannot bear interaction with some others either at all or beyond the most superficial exchanges, precisely because in our day-to-day existence, they are not aligned with their divinity, with their higher selves, or you might say, with their loving centre.

To say I honour the divine in you is honest, and doable. This is how we can freely love one another unconditionally, in truth, despite that many people do a lot of cruel, brutal, amoral and despicable acts toward others. Many are apathetic, amoral, cold, detached...or are deceptive, exploitative and narcissistic...both in intention and in expression. There is not a lot to genuinely admire or respect in many people in their waking lives, because they do so much harm, or because they take so much and give so little, or both. Because they are so misaligned or so far from their centre.

So the practice of Namaste or equivalents (metta practices, etc) are critical for humanity as a whole, as well as to individual growth. I think the practise and expression of "Namaste" is another corollary of the Love expressed in the golden rule or maxim of "do no harm" or "do unto others..." It is simply a foundational practise and expression of authentic love, which seeks the highest good of the other equally to the self.

The highest good of the other is ultimately realised when the other aligns with their loving centre, their divinity, or their higher self...however one prefers to name it. And the same is true of oneself.
Thus all loving and right-aligned acts (Buddhists would say "right action") that support alignment with centre for self and others are authentically loving, IMO.

Loving and right-aligned acts would also include clearly defining and clearly stating boundaries regarding what is not acceptable in word and deed to an individual or a society, etc.,
because it is cruel, brutal, deceptive, exploitative, and variously harmful to others -- and by extension each person (the self) benefits as well.

In this way, we can all begin to better understand and express as a species what it means to do no harm...and to begin to learn what it means to be authentically loving to self and others.

Peace & blessings,
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 02-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Because when I forgive someone I want them to forgive me also - there is always 2 sides to a disagreement afterall.

Whenever someone insults you it's because they feel threatened by you for some reason.

Probably because in this day of age, no matter what you say or don't say, you will always hurt someones feelings without meaning to

People everywhere are so insecure these days that you can easily hurt them without realizing it.

I think most reasonably mature folks will note poor or aggressive behaviour but do not feel compelled to respond in kind, self-defense aside.
They note when another attempts to cross their boundaries of acceptable behaviour, and they call it out and disengage.

Aside from brutal and aggregious physical harm or harassment...
It's normally only when there is a personal relationship (friendship, family, partnership, etc) where true damage is done.

And these relationships are precisely where we should reasonably expect to be safe and secure in who we are...and be respected and loved just for that.

If we
1) communicate with kindness and courtesy
2) set reasonable, respectful boundaries

but still do not find others to care or be concerned for our well-being equally to their own...
then we often find we are better off on our own, apart from those individuals or groups, minimising interactions with them and sending love and blessings from a distance.

So, from your post, if you have addressed their concerns and refrain from cruel and unkind or harmful speech and behaviours...
and according to what is mutually discussed, i.e., what is personally cruel and unkind according to them and not just according to you...
and if you actively engage with them personally and express kindness and concern for them personally...
but you find they are not interested in reciprocity...then you have every right to back off and send love and blessings from afar.

If they are truly loving friends or family or partners, they will bring authentic love to their interactions with you, just as you do (I assume) with them.
By authentic love, I mean that they both desire and actively seek and support your highest good and your best interests. Just as you do (I assume) for them.

If they are not actively seeking your highest good and your best interests, then it is not your job to suffer their presence or to tolerate their abusive, unkind or harmful behaviour.
You have every right to set your boundaries and state what you can and cannot accept.

Likewise, if you are abusive, unkind, or harmful in speech or action toward them, then they also have every right to call you out on it, and/or to simply walk away.

This omni-directional aspect of authentic love is what so many have issue with...they cannot deeply grasp that love means for others too (lol)...or, that love means for themselves, as well.
Authentic love is unconditional in ALL directions. It is never just for you at the exclusion of the other, and it is never just for the other(s) at the exclusion of you.

Peace & blessings,
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke