Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 03-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Master
What is the "I" (that you think you are)

As we let go of the "I" we think we are, we open a space in our awareness for discovering the "I" we actually are.

Ramana Maharshi called it the "I-I".

Xan

Old 03-12-2010, 03:18 AM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid
the OP question refers to advaita. not tao.
you're making it obvious that to you advaita is a falsity. then you present tao as the truth.
that is not tao.
The OP doesn't mention Advaita, nor Tao.. Tao is all things, true and false.. Later in this post you accuse Gem of twisting the thread for his own agenda.. Yet, you speak on behalf of the OP poster, Din, using concepts not expressed by the OP, like "Advaita".. you are interjecting your issues as if they were the OP..

Quote:
nope self inquiry is not like that.
it's not about i am this, i am that.
it's I am not this , i am not that.
if you don't like it, chill out.
Wouldn't it be acceptable for someone to inquire of themselves as they choose? If you impose your beliefs on someone else's "self inquiry", it's no longer 'self'-inquiry

Quote:
the OP is not posted to know each other. im not sure anyone here is interested to understand your virtues and hang-ups.
The title of the thread, by Din, asks a question, What is the "I" (that you think you are)? the reply describing "virtues and hang-ups" seems consistent with the question..

Quote:
it's to know yourself. there is a place for knowing one another. and if you have no problem and struggle with your own identity, fine and good, but that doesn't mean you can twist the thread to your own agenda. try to address the question in an objective way, iow, try not to think that's this is all about you.
Here, you accuse Gem of twisting the thread to his agenda, but.. it seems that you are doing the same thing..

I wish we could have civil discourse, it's a lot more fun than conflict..

Be well..
Old 03-12-2010, 03:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuJanLi
Here, you accuse Gem of twisting the thread to his agenda, but.. it seems that you are doing the same thing..

And you now repeat the pattern, Bob.

Round and round the merry-go-round.

Xan

Old 03-12-2010, 03:47 AM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
And you now repeat the pattern, Bob.

Round and round the merry-go-round.

Xan
Hi Xan: If you care to read this thread, i answered the question posed by the title of the thread, the only post on this thread other than the comment to hybrid, to which you have now commented, so.. a merry-go-round it is, if that's what a merry-go round 'is'..

Be well..
Old 03-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Master
Quote:
yes, i was not even addressing you.
but you seem to have a habit of picking them up and smash yourself with it,
in your own subtle way this is how you dismiss other posts specially to the one's your critical about.
i wouldn't mind if you do, but don't pretend your not doing it!

I appear cynical but I actually I can see what's being played out and it's this simple: First the preconceived notion 'no self', then ask what do you think you are. The respondant defines as he might and provides the platform to spruik 'no self'

I've seen it before, and Xan sees what she's seen before, you've seen me say this before, and collectively under these same circumstances we've all seen it before.

I always listen to everyone and take what they say at face value, and I talk as much bushwa as the next bloke, but I don't set people up for a fall like this, and I don't judge, tell them what they believe, attach to, get lost in, call them deluded and all that lot...
Old 03-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Yes, it's kinda weird but as we keep going we discover that this "no one here but me" isn't the whole story. In this space all of us are connected... not like we're used to but in a very subtle way.

Xan

Yes I can sense that subtlety but this loneliness is all so foreign to me, which of course, is expected, I quess. I will say, that as much as I don't like it, I don't seem to have a choice in the matter which is also expected. No turning back, so to speak. lol
Oh well, just trying to deal with it and right now, I don't feel like I am doing a very good job of it.
Thanks for your response Xan.
James
Old 04-12-2010, 03:06 AM
Master
Sure... Dealing with these subtle and not-so-subtle changes of the awakening process is a real challenge.

Here's what I did with the existential loneliness when it started showing up --- I just sat with it and breathed. Now I am in love with solitude and its delights.

Xan

Old 04-12-2010, 03:34 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I appear cynical but I actually I can see what's being played out and it's this simple: First the preconceived notion 'no self', then ask what do you think you are. The respondant defines as he might and provides the platform to spruik 'no self'

I've seen it before, and Xan sees what she's seen before, you've seen me say this before, and collectively under these same circumstances we've all seen it before.

I always listen to everyone and take what they say at face value, and I talk as much bushwa as the next bloke, but I don't set people up for a fall like this, and I don't judge, tell them what they believe, attach to, get lost in, call them deluded and all that lot...

and while many people see this as an opportunity for further understanding, you and your stooge see this as falsity. yes there is a pattern going on as these concepts are being presented in such a way that it is almost a "portfolio message" already. but lot's of people here are agreeing and enjoying the discussion about the illusory nature of person hood or it's possibility of it being not what we think it is . and i also caught you talking the same thing from time to time.

but if you are constantly annoyed by this on going discussion, why don't you just stay away from it instead of stressing yourself with its implications you despised. if the incidentals of the teachings cannot helped but question's your own reality intentionally or not, then why are you so attracted to these kind of discussions when your attraction was always expressed as a bitter dissent.?

if there is a judgment to the person, it is in general terms and not a personal attack.it's always up to us if we take all discussions here personally. there's a difference.

and what is the implication as seeing all of t his as a falsity, that you see clearly and the rest of us are the deluded ones?

Last edited by hybrid : 04-12-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Sure... Dealing with these subtle and not-so-subtle changes of the awakening process is a real challenge.

Here's what I did with the existential loneliness when it started showing up --- I just sat with it and breathed. Now I am in love with solitude and its delights.

Xan
Sounds good........thanks.............
Old 04-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Master
Quote:
and while many people see this as an opportunity for further understanding, you and your stooge see this as falsity. yes there is a pattern going on as these concepts are being presented in such a way that it is almost a "portfolio message" already. but lot's of people here are agreeing and enjoying the discussion about the illusory nature of person hood or it's possibility of it being not what we think it is . and i also caught you talking the same thing from time to time.

but if you are constantly annoyed by this on going discussion, why don't you just stay away from it instead of stressing yourself with its implications you despised. if the incidentals of the teachings cannot helped but question's your own reality intentionally or not, then why are you so attracted to these kind of discussions when your attraction was always expressed as a bitter dissent.?

if there is a judgment to the person, it is in general terms and not a personal attack.it's always up to us if we take all discussions here personally. there's a difference.

and what is the implication as seeing all of t his as a falsity, that you see clearly and the rest of us are the deluded ones?

Actually I Made a one sentence reference to the ruse at hand and then went on and siad someting on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the love god Gem.
to ask who am I is merely to say I'm Gem and have other names, I've been here and like that, was born in somwhere etc and so on but really I can't post my entire auto biography.

To know who I am will take time to cultivate a deep trust, develope some intimacy, brotherhood... then you become aquainted with my resolve integrity vunerability and other subtle nuances.

...but you broached the subject of the ruse so I elaborated on that.