Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 08-07-2017, 04:05 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Healthy desires v unhealthy desires, that has to be the problem, which one's are the one's to choose,

The Desires that affect other people in a bad way are the ones which will cause trouble and maybe Karma.

If your unhealty Desires affect nobody but you then go for it.
Imagine you are on a deserted Island and will never leave.
Drink as much coffee as you like ............your actions will have no affect on anyone else
Old 08-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrynu
Yes that is worth thinking about and from the little I know of Buddha he went to extraordinary lengths to reach enlightenment,starving himself....its seems like he craved it

Yes that confusing me but it's a healthy desire as his enlightenment benefited all sentient beings,they weren't selfish desires. so thats my way of understanding why he had them. Gem is well versed, he might help.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:10 PM
Master
Quote:
The Desires that affect other people in a bad way are the ones which will cause trouble and maybe Karma.

If your unhealty Desires affect nobody but you then go for it.
Imagine you are on a deserted Island and will never leave.
Drink as much coffee as you like ............your actions will have no affect on anyone else

No but it will give me a migraine then I will be bad tempered and make others miserable....
Old 08-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Desire only becomes a craving if you are trying to fill a hole in your life.
If you have no hole in your life then desire becomes a creative force.
I Desire so I take action and I create what I Desire....This is why we are here as humans,to create in physicality.
I dont see Desire as a bad thing but I understand why some can have trouble with it.

I don't think it's a bad thing, or a good thing, but there are problems concerning suffering within the tension between aversion and desire, as the former extends to hatred and the latter expands to greed, and a person finds themselves in quite the miserable state, so we try to keep a healthy balance somewhere near the middle way, with more mild wants and dislikes, but because the sensation can move from agony to extreme pleasure, we might find that at some extreme or the other we become overwhelmed.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Ascender

Quote:
No but it will give me a migraine then I will be bad tempered and make others miserable....

You are alone.Theres nobody to make miserable
Old 08-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I don't think it's a bad thing, or a good thing, but there are problems concerning suffering within the tension between aversion and desire, as the former extends to hatred and the latter expands to greed, and a person finds themselves in quite the miserable state, so we try to keep a healthy balance somewhere near the middle way, with more mild wants and dislikes, but because the sensation can move from agony to extreme pleasure, we might find that at some extreme or the other we become overwhelmed.

Yes.I understand,its the middle path.
I have been overwhelmed by pain and overwhelmed by love a I have walked many paths and am still walking.The middle path is great for consistency in life.
The other paths of extremities are harder but in my experience they bring more rapid learning.I seem to be on the middle path now and I am resting and liking it
Old 08-07-2017, 04:34 PM
Master
Quote:
You are alone.Theres nobody to make miserable
I missed that, I do need that coffee....
Old 08-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Yes.I understand,its the middle path.
I have been overwhelmed by pain and overwhelmed by love a I have walked many paths and am still walking.The middle path is great for consistency in life.
The other paths of extremities are harder but in my experience they bring more rapid learning.I seem to be on the middle path now and I am resting and liking it

Yes, extremities can make you learn quicker, but sometimes you need to get past the experience to allow the lesson that has been learnt to sink in.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Yes, extremities can make you learn quicker, but sometimes you need to get past the experience to allow the lesson that has been learnt to sink in.

Yes.....This thread has been extreme at times but will bring lessons and hopefully those lessons will not have to be repeated or all will have been in vain .............so it can be a good thing in hindsight
Old 08-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Desire only becomes a craving if you are trying to fill a hole in your life.
If you have no hole in your life then desire becomes a creative force.

The point is that the hole isn't a hole because a hole would have a border.