Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 22-08-2021, 06:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
I hope your teacher and the kitchen staff were glad you accomodated them with a burned cd, and a boombox from your own money. I'm sure it was appreciated.
It went along pretty quietly, and probably only three people were aware of what I did, so I didn't get any gratitude. I think people appreciated it happened but I don't want 'recognition'. It's a nice story relevant to Abodhi's narrative on kindness/nastiness - there's generosity, but also restriction - including how I 'help people and walk them to the gate' - maybe not so nice, pretty awkward, but part of life. These stories have shading, there's an interesting subtext. They have mood and complexity. I don't mind the story of SW's coming of wisdom one bit. It's great. It's just a bit too sweet for my personal taste, and I say 'great wisdom' with just a tinge of light hearted sarcasm .
Old 22-08-2021, 02:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Loved that movie.

That movie, "The Razor's Edge", is one of my favorites and, surprisingly, I actually liked the Bill Murray version of the movie better than the one starring Tyrone Power. I've also read the book.

One thing that amazed me about both the movie and the book was the incredibly portrayal of the guru by the British author, Somerset Maugham. Having practiced under a sage from India, I found the guru character to be incredibly realistic at the highest level. It was only years later that I discovered that Somerset Maugham spent 9 months in India studying and observing Ramana Maharshi (whom Carl Jung called "the whitest spot in the white space of India") before writing his book. The guru in that book/movie represents Somerset Maugham's understanding of the awesome Ramana Maharshi.
Old 22-08-2021, 02:48 PM
Master
Quote:
May I ask who she is?

I just responded to this in a private message with a link to an article about my spiritual mentor.
Old 22-08-2021, 02:57 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Thats really interesting, thank you. I'm sorry I laughed at your ' Puja dilemma ' when you've been so kind to explain the visual aspects of symbols Being totally honest though because it's a sin to tell a lie, it would have been hilarious

No problem about laughing at my puja story ... as I was already grinning and laughing about the prospect of watching one of the other disciples trying to conduct a puja .... until I discover that the disciple conducting the puja was going to be ME. It was funny

As for the symbology in certain mantras like OM, the combination of the chanting and the visualization of the process that is implied in the symbol have a very powerful impact as a constant reminder of the nature of the Reality. Eventually, as is often mentioned in a Buddhist forum, one leaves the metaphorical "raft" behind when it is no longer needed.
Old 22-08-2021, 03:00 PM
Master
QUOTE 215 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
... SW's lovely story

I'm glad that you liked my "lovely story" about the puja !
Old 23-08-2021, 06:03 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
because they are working and can't attend the hall.

Well they could attend the hall if others learned to cook for themselves and cleaned their own dishes.
Old 23-08-2021, 06:15 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I actually liked the Bill Murray version of the movie better
that is the only one I saw. Must have been over 30 years ago. Had me drinking zubrovka for a while back then.
Old 23-08-2021, 06:20 AM
AbodhiSky

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
― W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge
Old 23-08-2021, 06:48 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
― W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge
That is exactly why the Buddha urges us to investigate everything for ourselves and work in accordance with our findings.
Even though the Buddha didn't teach mantra's that I know of. Manny on the path found that it helps to be mindful of his teachings. So they adopted the practice. Of course some take the practice in ways that are seemingly unskillful. Those we could help by saying that they are missing the point. And talk to them. Blurting out that that are useless or somewhat ridiculous isn't all that helpful in my experience.
Old 23-08-2021, 06:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
QUOTE 215 EXCERPT: I'm glad that you liked my "lovely story" about the puja !
Top Notch