Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 03-09-2021, 11:24 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
From what I have 'seen', most people are born into a religion.
I was basically born into Christianity, but one day it suddenly fell apart and I could no longer believe the story. I was still spiritually inclined, but no longer had to pray or worship or have faith or hope Jesus would save me or follow anyone or any of that. I was just indoctrinated from a young age by adults who didn't know any better, and that sort of indoctrination is not entirely benign.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:30 AM
Eelco

What would be the common denominators of interfaith?
The faith in god?
The similarities between the different stories?
Back when I was training under several different aikido teachers one of them told me to really search for what was the same between the styles. He felt that that would be where the "power" of aikido lies.
I am unsure if a similar point of view would work for an interfaith conglomerate stew
Old 04-09-2021, 09:58 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
What would be the common denominators of interfaith?

Thomas Merton sought it in experience.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:41 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice
Thomas Merton sought it in experience.
How would you seek it?
In my current understanding, the largest part of any experience is what we ourselves bring to the experience. Taking the experience to be the common denominator would open up cans and cans of worms don't you think?
Old 04-09-2021, 04:32 PM
Master
Exclamation SpiritualForums mimics Interfaith in so many ways.

SpiritualForums mimics Interfaith in so many ways.

Some might doubt that but watch the activities of the new person. Generally, not always, they post on Forums they relate to. As they start looking at some of the other Forums, they have a tendency to start posting on those Forums. As time passes, their belief systems seem to naturally assimilate beliefs from other belief systems.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 04-09-2021, 05:04 PM
Master

things in common

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
As the World of Mankind percolates over all the problems we face, it looks like they can be diminished if we can put aside what we perceive as religious differences and look at all the things we have in common.

Indeed your interest and persistence in the thread is worth saluting . What u say is right . If we want to make world a better place to live , looking at things in common and respecting /loving others while improving ourselves (like removing dogma/superstition, promoting reason in spirituality ,getting practical ideas to balance this life and after life ) wherever possible , building bridges between communities etc will definitely be good steps in that direction (making world a better place to live)
Old 04-09-2021, 06:22 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
How would you seek it?
The context of Merton's own search was in monastic experience (predominately Christian and Buddhist) which I never mentioned. Sorry. As such, given a commitment to monastic seclusion I suppose one could assume some degree of genuine practice of a Faith, rather than just allegiance to creed/dogma.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:32 PM
Deactivated Account
The Buddhist writer Stephen Batchelor once observed that according to the fundamental Theravada texts each of the Four Noble Truths had to be acted upon. (Understanding anguish, letting go of its origins, realizing its cessation, and cultivating the path) Yet such "truths" often become simply propositions to be believed/asserted. The first truth becomes: "Life is Suffering", the second: "The Cause of Suffering is Craving" - and so on. Batchelor then states:- At precisely this juncture, Buddhism becomes a religion. A Buddhist is someone who believes these four propositions.......and are thus distinguished from Christians, Muslims, and Hindus, who believe different sets of propositions."

To my mind this distinction exists within all faiths in various forms and ways. It also seems to me that if people of faith acted upon such distinctions, seeking the true heart of their faith, we perhaps could all meet at the centre, instead of arguing on the perimeter of the circle! Well, easier said than done.........
Old 04-09-2021, 07:35 PM
Eelco

So a Buddhist who understands that the 4 noble truth's have an associated duty stay outside of the realm of religion?
Old 04-09-2021, 08:11 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
So a Buddhist who understands that the 4 noble truth's have an associated duty stay outside of the realm of religion?

Well, that would depend upon anyone's definition of "Religion". As I see it Stephen Batchelor (who obviously has his definition) is simply pointing out a distinction that in many ways would explain why some apparently produce the "fruits of the spirit" while some do not.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." ( New Testament )