Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 08-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by luntrusreality
Getting rid of the ego is always the ego itself talking.

Yes, this is put perfectly.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlettHayden
Sorry, I was quoting Hermione :P Heheh:

You can't get rid of the ego. When it comes to the realisation of enlightenment, the goal is to expand the ego, not to destroy it. Expansion of the ego allows you better to observe yourself, because the ego is not hiding you as much. You can be who you are.

Your desire to relinquish the ego is sort of weird.. at the moment you are partially identified with your ego, to some extent or another (which is also why you can't find it, because you're identified with it). So that's kinda like you're saying "I want to kill myself". Why would you want to kill yourself? Energy is neither created nor destroyed. The ego cannot be destroyed.. it can only be transformed into something healthier.

We have the ego for a reason. It's our interface to the world. Without that we actually probably couldn't exist. It continues even after death to some extent, though it is closely entwined with our biology on a physical level.

There are a lot of misconceptions about enlightenment. You need to weed them out from the truth. There is nothing to destroy. You only need to gain a broader perspective on yourself to realise that which you already are.

Yeah i guess thats where our opinions differ, im of the school of thought that you have to lose ego to know ones. I was more wanting to experince ego-death so i could then know instinctifly when my ego was there and when it wasnt. Im guessing there isnt a shortxut to disciplined daily meditation practices then.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:19 PM
luntrusreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic
Yeah i guess thats where our opinions differ, im of the school of thought that you have to lose ego to know ones. I was more wanting to experince ego-death so i could then know instinctifly when my ego was there and when it wasnt. Im guessing there isnt a shortxut to disciplined daily meditation practices then.

What would be aware of an ego being there or not being there?
What difference would it make to the awareness of these two states ?
You oviously can not be your ego if there is something more constant that is aware of either having or not having an ego
Old 08-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:

If you lost your ego you'd have no ego to know you'd lost it...??

You need to expand your awareness. It's the only way.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Deactivated Account
So you guys dont know of a way to experince ego-death then?
Old 08-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
So you guys dont know of a way to experince ego-death then?

I am saying, there is no such thing as ego-death.

You can try anyway, but it will be futile.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Deactivated Account
Ugh okaay...i dont think i am the only one who has heard of it being done. -_- futile really? Beg to differ i guess.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:58 PM
luntrusreality

Quote:
Ugh okaay...i dont think i am the only one who has heard of it being done. -_- futile really? Beg to differ i guess.

Ego Death is only as real as the ego.
It is an illusion. There is no ego, there are only thoughts, feelings and the sense of separation which another thought then claims as being "ego".
How can we lose something which does not exist?
Old 08-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Deactivated Account

What luntrus said.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by luntrusreality
Ego Death is only as real as the ego.
It is an illusion. There is no ego, there are only thoughts, feelings and the sense of separation which another thought then claims as being "ego".
How can we lose something which does not exist?

Except that there are numerous accounts of ego death. Many with actual phsyical symtoms. Some have even been caused thru powerful drugs such as salvia devernorum or Ayahuasca.