Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 18-09-2014, 03:08 AM
Yaoughta

Things to do when confronting negative thoughts:

1. Ask yourself "why" you're thinking the way that you're thinking and where does the thought come from? By getting to the root you can work to remove the root and plant a different more positive one.

2.Recite affirmations. Whenever you find yourself thinking negative thoughts, try reciting affirmations. It would be hard to continue being negative if you're busy reciting affirmations like "I am positive" or "I am loving".

3. Learn to chant. Chanting is a form of sound energy that will help you be more mindful and remove negative thoughts. You can chant a prayer, a motto, a saying or affirmation or anything you wish so long as it is positive. You can also sing a positive song.

4. Get up and move. Exercise is a great way to redirect your energy and thoughts and get you mind off of negative thoughts.
Old 18-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Master

Affirmations just don't work for me.
Logic doesn't work for me either.

I can distract myself by reciting something some times. Something nonsense like, believe it or not, nursery rhymes. Hey, it works.

Sometimes the negative thoughts occur while in bed when I wake up and "worry" about something. I try to read for awhile, preferably something slightly boring. It distracts and interrupts the thought patterns.
Old 19-09-2014, 04:23 AM
Yaoughta

Allow me to ADD one more:

5. Become as aware as possible of the things you say and how you say them. Most people are not aware of how negative they actually are because they don't think they're being negative. By practicing being aware of the things you say, you learn to correct them when you don't like something you said or the way you said it. This is important, because you often give voice to what you think. Mindfulness or awareness of either helps improve both. Using words like can't, don't, won't, need etc., can be changed to more positive words which leads to more positive thoughts.
Old 19-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Firefly5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoughta
Allow me to ADD one more:

5. Become as aware as possible of the things you say and how you say them. Most people are not aware of how negative they actually are because they don't think they're being negative. By practicing being aware of the things you say, you learn to correct them when you don't like something you said or the way you said it. This is important, because you often give voice to what you think. Mindfulness or awareness of either helps improve both. Using words like can't, don't, won't, need etc., can be changed to more positive words which leads to more positive thoughts.

True! I have to admit though that it's very difficult to control your thoughts to escape these common words, especially in the beginning. I also avoid the word "try" (which is even more difficult), because it implies uncertainty instead of success. They advise us to use "I do", "I can", "I will", "I want", etc.
Old 20-09-2014, 02:23 AM
Yaoughta

I realize that you were being candid and genuine which is always appreciated soul to soul, but stating "Its very difficult to control your thoughts" is an example of what I mean by being aware of our self talk. I am a firm believer in the fact that things are always exactly as we THINK them to be and how we speak and communicate is a reflection of that, so when we think from divine love and speak from divine love, ALL is always well.

I feel that when we recognize this truth, it is like recognizing our divine nature and divine truth.
Old 20-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Ivy

Yaoughta, could you have looked at the words "its very difficult to control your thoughts" in its positive light?

It is the acceptance that something was difficult that enables us to realise that we are strong enough to face difficulties.
Old 20-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Master
I guess the mind tends to pay attention what it's interested in, and I've noticed that troubling thoughts can be entertaining for quite a long time, but in time, they become insignificant or boring, so then the mind turns to other things, and soon loses interest in them, too. In the end, thoughts are generally considered to be 'just thoughts', and be they pleasant or unpleasant in nature, they just rise and fall and no longer have anything they can stick to, so they run their natural course.

Things do tend to run a natural course... and I know people like to think they are in control, but control does not determine the course of events. Control has to do withthe mindful balance of equanimity. A thought occurs, and 'you' either react and lose mental balance, or remain calm and centred to some degree or other.

In the deeper sense, thoughts aren't created to you nor do they happen to you... they occur to you like ideas and little lightbulb moments... and you remain aware of them coming, changing and passing by. In a sense, there is no-one there thinking thoughts and 'you' are completely free of thoughts, which isn't to say they don't occur... it means they have no affect on 'you'... which really means that 'you' don't react to them. If there is any control, it's there in how one reacts to passing thoughts.
Old 20-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Vaughn

You can do the mind wipe, like they did in Captain America: Winter Soldier.
Old 22-09-2014, 08:03 PM
eveningdusk

This is something that I've just started doing, but I find it helps to clear my mind and makes me feel a bit better too. I close my eyes and then just try to focus on one sense, then I add another sense. Until I try to focus on all five at once. I leave sight till last and just focus on the black behind my eyelids. I feel quite peaceful after doing this, especially after a stressful day at work!
Old 25-09-2014, 04:16 PM
David K

Positive attitude

We have all heard that having a positive mental attitude is the key to success, but why?
Being positive or negative is not corporal. Being positive or negative is reacting to an event, ‘the cup is half full or, half empty’. ‘Today is partly cloudy or, partly sunny’.
Both these statements are true so why does one have more benefits than the other?
Having a positive attitude gives you good emotional and physical responses, (relaxed, calm and self-assured), and when they are practised enough, your subconscious will deliver to you good emotional and physical responses without the need to think positive, it becomes a habit. Your subconscious will know that this is how you like to feel. The opposite is also true. If you always feel negative you will feel anxious, depressed and physically agitated (fight or flight). Eventually your subconscious will produce the emotional and physical response without you having to think negative, as it believes this is the way you like to feel, this is another habit. This is how people have panic attacks out of the blue.
Not only will a positive attitude deliver everything you want, it will also have a positive effect on your health.