Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 14-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
I AM is very good at addressing the issue of non awareness of spirituality, in the sense of people with only mind/body awareness.

But what it does not address is the issue of spiritual people who believe in God. The religious.

The teachings of I AM teach us that we are not mind/body but that we are pure consciousness.

The fact is though that the religious do not believe themselves to be mind/body. They believe themselves to be soul or divine spark who are dependent on God.

The I AM teachings do not address that issue. They say you are more than mind/body. But they do not indicate what the issue is for those who have faith.

A missed opportunity.....one which the teachers of I AM really ought to address.

So the religious do not believe themselves to be mind/body; they know they are more than that already. So what does I AM teach them about their faith in God? That is where the confusion lies...

Honza... Because for you the "I Am" is only an idea that you have not yet experienced as the reality of your being, you misunderstand what it is.

Our own individual "I Am" is an expression of the universal "I Am" that is God.

In the Old Testament, God says his name is "I Am That I Am" ... consciousness, pure love, the primal source of all creation, infinite beingness... All of It.

Xan

Old 14-11-2010, 02:41 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Honza... Because for you the "I Am" is only an idea that you have not yet experienced as the reality of your being, you misunderstand what it is.

Our own individual "I Am" is an expression of the universal "I Am" that is God.

In the Old Testament, God says his name is "I Am That I Am" ... consciousness, pure love, the primal source of all creation, infinite beingness... All of It.

Xan

To me God is an unknown. I don't think any religion has the monopoly on God or His name, not even the old testament.

The fact that the old testament called God I Am That I Am is just an indicator, and not FACT of Gods nature.

Jehovah can actually be interpreted in all manner of ways and not just "I Am That I Am" - that is really the kindergarden interpretation of the name.

What I am trying to say is that God/Reality is a mystery to me.

I AM sounds fine and I'm interested in it. I have not experienced it, but I have experienced all manner of other religious and spiritual experiences.

But my question remains; That I AM does not approach the subject of RELIGION or FAITH. Which it could do.....

The fact that some people experience I AM does not make it FACT or RIGHT. It is just some peoples experience.

There is 6,500,000,000 other peoples experience to take into consideration too.

I am not taken in by I AM like you. I AM is not THE ANSWER to me as it is to you.

Why should it be? What reason? I'm investigating at the moment and not committing....

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 14-11-2010, 04:13 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
I am not taken in by I AM like you. I AM is not THE ANSWER to me as it is to you.

Why should it be? What reason? I'm investigating at the moment and not committing....
One cannot investigate without committing to some extent.
One cannot look at some water and say 'it is cold' just because there is snow around the pool or water.
One does not have to jump into it, but at least one has to put one's toe in before one can say that it is cold.

Since you question from the outset that I AM may be the answer for you what do you hope to get from your studies? Academic knowledge only?

May I suggest that you drop the use of the term 'I AM teachings' and use a term which is in general use for the philosophy you want to investigate. The answers you will get then may be less confusing.
TBH, trying to answer your I AM question feels like fighting someone in the dark. I know someone is there but I can't figure out where they are.
Old 14-11-2010, 10:33 AM
michael432000

Hi Honza

The study of ‘I am’ is for liberation.

And the remembrance of God (based on the realization that ‘I am’) is for becoming.

You can’t remain liberated forever.

This is my current understanding.
Old 14-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Master
Someone tries to turn I AM into an other religion.
My understanding of myself, and all that is, can not be turned into a religion.
I AM is all that is, there is nothing outside of it.
God is all that is, there is nothing outside of what we call God.
One can see oneself as a worshiper of all that is, as an equal part of all that is, or one can see and understand oneself as all that is, the I AM. Or anywhere in between. It matters very little, just a different path which ultimately all lead to the same point.
Old 14-11-2010, 11:46 AM
shepherd

Quote:
There you go again Shepherd, with one of your retorts to my questions and ponderings.

If I am not mistaken you have a limited opinion of religion and the religious.

I must admit that my main understanding lies in religion and in faith and not in I AM, but why would I be asking questions about I AM at a spiritual forum? Could it be so I understand it better?

What better place to learn about I AM than here? I guess you mean I should read books about it. But the discussions here are far more dynamic than reading books.

I am *studying* I AM right here and now. Stop trying to put me off!

I'm not trying to put you off Honza but you simply dont get the concept of I am and you dont seem to listen to what members post before you go running off with another thread. I simply encourage you to explore the many books and resources members have offered to you so you can take some responsibility for your own gaining of knowledge of I am. If you really are serious about it then surely you would actually go and do some study without creating the next thread damning I am?

You dont really ask questions, you dont make statements about it based on what little you know in the hope of some reaction. Is this the way you learn at best?

And yes you are mistaken with my apparent limited knowledge of religion and the religious.

so with some encouragement here is a book title. Go and buy it and study it and maybe come back with some knowledge.

You dont have to be so defensive towards a post encouraging you to study I am do you?

the title of the book is I am that. it is by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

I really hope you enjoy it.
Old 14-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Elijah

Quote:
But my question remains;
That I AM does not approach the subject of RELIGION or FAITH.
Religion/faith are rooted in mankinds misunderstanding of their own nature.
Ultimately it's the belief that God is out there and I am apart/outside/separate from God.
The teachings you are looking into come from the realization that there is no gap..
That one's true nature is not apart or other than God.
So from that perspective it may seem like religion/faith are overlooked..
But this is only because God is no longer idolized as some-thing apart/outside/different from your own true nature.
If anything these ideals of God can become obstacles to your discovery of Self/God.
Quote:
I AM is not THE ANSWER to me as it is to you.
Why should it be? What reason?
Because it doesn't take you away from what you already truly are.
After all how can you know God is apart from you if you don't truly know your own nature.
Old 14-11-2010, 11:57 AM
3dnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd
the title of the book is I am that. it is by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Is it the same as the this one available online?

http://www.maharajnisargadatta.com/I_Am_That.pdf

3dnow
Old 14-11-2010, 11:58 AM
shepherd

That link doesnt work 3dnow but it could be the same book which would be very handy for Honza.
Old 14-11-2010, 12:05 PM
3dnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd
That link doesnt work 3dnow but it could be the same book which would be very handy for Honza.

http://www.maharajnisargadatta.com/I_Am_That.pdf

I hope this one works.

3dnow