Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 05-12-2013, 12:16 AM
Deactivated Account
He keeps hiding in my closet. Comes out in the middle of the night trying to scar me. Lol. He is a scary dude! Lol.

But seriously I don't know. But I have found some things from Buddhism to be helpful for me. So where ever he may be. If you see him. Say thanks for me.

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 05-12-2013, 04:38 AM
Pamuya

The Buddha is you, the Buddha is me, and the Buddha is even running. Yes, you are, there is Buddha in all of us waiting to be awakened.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:13 AM
Guide
Buddha is what's left in the jar after you've scooped out all the other stuff.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:20 AM
sahaja

"Where is the buddha now?" What Buddha and what kind of Buddha?

I agree with psychoslice, maejin, LightBearer, CSEe, Pamuya and perhaps with Miss Hepburn (?) Certainly in part.

For CSEe's answer i would add the warning that westerners have a hard time with concepts of the East such as nothingness and emptiness. The West has no concepts that are the basis of the Eastern view of mind and consciousness. Doesn't mean they don't exist, just that we have a hard time at first trying to comprehend what is being said and it tends to sound nihilistic. It's quite the opposite.

I also see Buddha as all pervading. I don't know if we are using the term correctly as it means awakened one but the idea is the same as a primordial consciousness for lack of another word.

Buddha used as a title and refers to awakened. Like Buddha Tonpa Shenrab of the Bon who first appeared on earth according to the Bon about 18000 years ago. I think he may have been a celestial Buddha because he sounds like Avalokitesvara. Buddhas can't be born of course. That's been cured through Buddhahood but they do have their ways.

How many Buddhas have there been depends upon which schools history you are dealing with. I have a hunch that this may be an evolutionary thing both in humans getting together, languages and ideas melding, as the historians explain, but also because new schools are periodically created through Bodhisattva's visits to the Nirmanakaya (physical world). Buddhism, as it's called now, evolves right along with humans. As it has done across the universe for multiples of millions of years (or was it billions?) Mind boggling figures. Primordial consciousness has existed, as humans would say, since the beginning of time. However the word Buddha has probably only been used since the Shakyamuni (the Gautama Buddha) used it when asked what he should be called and the answer he gave was "Awake." Before that they would have been called something else. The celestial Buddhas probably called gods.

A Nirmanakaya Buddha exists here on Earth or some other planet. Nirmanakaya is the physical realm or kaya. Gautama Buddha would be an example of a Nirmanakaya Buddha. He became Buddha while in a physical human body. The The astral realm would be within the Sambhogakaya, the energy realm. So would the Pure Lands. Sambhogakaya Buddhas are associated with this as are the Pure Land dwellings. Both the Nirmanakaya and the Sambhogakaya are of form though different from each other. The Sambhogakaya is NOT physical. Then there are the Dharmakaya Buddhas represented by Vairocana, Akṣobhya, Amitābha, Ratnasaṃbhava, and Amoghasiddhi. The Five Dhyani Buddhas, these wisdom Buddhas are all aspects of the Dharmakaya or "truth-body". This kaya is formless and beyond conceptual mind so it's impossible to describe or define.

Here's a hierarchy of some Buddhas. Note the placement of the Shakyamuni. The 3 above him are said to have been before him. I think we are into what is a Buddhist terminology predecessor here, Hinduism. Their symbology and mythology i find boggling but i think the avatars and gods resemble Buddhist Buddha-Bodhisattvas and Dhyani Buddhas.

From View on Buddhism -

http://viewonbuddhism.org/5_dhyani_buddhas.html

From Wikipedia:

A Pure Land, in Mahayana Buddhism, is the celestial realm or pure abode of a Buddha or Bodhisattva. The term "pure land" is particular to the Chinese (Ch. 净土, jìngtǔ) and related East Asian traditions; in Sanskrit the equivalent concept is called the "Buddha field" (Skt. buddha-kṣetra). The various traditions that focus on Pure Lands have been given the nomenclature Pure Land Buddhism. Pure lands are also evident in the literature and traditions of Taoism and Bön.

The notion of 'pure lands' was inherited from other Dharmic Traditions already evident in the Dharma. The notion of a pure land may have evolved from the Uttarakuru, a divine continent in ancient Dharmic cosmology.The pure realms are all accessible through experiential meditation and trance sadhana.....(More)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_land

Sambhogakaya and the Pure Lands
From Wikipedia - Sambhogakaya:

Celestial manifestations -

The Sambhogakaya is a "subtle body of limitless form". Both "celestial" Buddhas such as Bhaisajyaguru and Amitābha, as well as advanced bodhisattvas such as Avalokitesvara and Manjusri can appear in an "enjoyment-body." A Buddha can appear in an "enjoyment-body" to teach bodhisattvas through visionary experiences.

Those Buddhas and Bodhisattvas manifest themselves in their specific pure lands. These worlds are created for the benefits of others. In those lands it is easy to hear and practice the Dharma. A person can be reborn in such a pure land by "the transfer of some of the huge stock of 'merit' of a Land's presiding Buddha, stimulated by devout prayer.

One of the places where the Sambhogakāya body appears is the extra-cosmic realm or pure land called Akaniṣṭha. This is one of the highest realms of the Śuddhāvāsa devas.

Absolutely seen, only the Dharmakaya is real; Sambhogakaya and Nirmanakaya are "provisional ways of talking about and apprehending it".

Access by advanced practitioners -

Sambhogakaya also refers to the luminous form of clear light the Buddhist practitioner attains upon the reaching the highest dimensions of practice.

According to tradition, those skilled in meditation, such as advanced Tibetan lamas and yogis, as well as other highly realized Buddhists, may gain access to the Sambhogakaya and receive direct transmission of doctrine.

Understanding in Buddhist tradition
Tibetan Buddhism -

There are numerous Sambhogakaya realms almost as numerous as Deities in Tibetan Buddhism. These Sambhogakaya-realms are known as Buddha-fields or Pure Lands........(More)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambhogak%C4%81ya

A There's a debate whether the Dhyani Bodhisattvas are Buddhas or not. They are referred to as 'not Buddhas yet' by some schools but called Buddhas by others. Our Sangha calls them Buddhas because we were told so by them. I myself heard one of them refer to himself as a Buddha many times. I'm taking his word for it over any others.

Much of the interest in this is actually "what happens to me after death?"
When one begins to see death as an illusion - WHAT is life?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Experiencer
Hi all,

Where is the Buddha now ? This is what the Buddha himself said .. (Pali Canon Sutta MN63)

Quote:

... remember what is undeclared by me as undeclared, and what is declared by me as declared. And what is undeclared by me? 'The cosmos is eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is not eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is finite'... 'The cosmos is infinite'... 'The soul & the body are the same'... 'The soul is one thing and the body another'... 'After death a Tathagata exists'... 'After death a Tathagata does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata both exists & does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist,' is undeclared by me.

"And why are they undeclared by me? Because they are not connected with the goal, are not fundamental to the holy life. They do not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are undeclared by me.

"And what is declared by me? 'This is stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the origination of stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the cessation of stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress,' is declared by me. And why are they declared by me? Because they are connected with the goal, are fundamental to the holy life. They lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are declared by me.

Source: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.063.than.html

With metta,

Sam
Old 08-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by declan
I was just wondering where is the buddha now.If we are a stream of consciousness passing through one life and on to the next,then is the buddha,s eternal consciousness with us on this earth in another form at this very moment or has he migrated to another world or to a higher plane ?Or has he just dissolved?Any thoughts?

Anatta .
Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Experiencer

From Ajahn Buddhadasa:

BUDDHA

As you know, the word "Buddha" in everyday language refers to the historical Enlightened Being, Gotama Buddha. It refers to a physical man of flesh and bone who was born in India over two thousand years ago, died, and was cremated. This is the meaning of the word "Buddha" in everyday language.

Considered in terms of Dhamma language, however, the word "Buddha" refers to the Truth which the historical Buddha realized and taught, namely the Dhamma itself. The Buddha said:

One who see the Dhamma sees the Tathagata. (a word the Buddha often used to refer to himself) One who see the Tathagata sees the Dhamma. One who sees not the Dhamma, though grasping at the robe of the Tathagata, cannot be said to have seen the Tathagata.

Now, the Dhamma is something intangible. It is not something physical, certainly not flesh and bones. Yet the Buddha said it is one and the same as the Enlightened One. "One who sees the Dhamma sees the Tathagata." Anyone who fails to see the Dhamma cannot be said to have seen the Enlightened One.

So in Dhamma language, the Buddha is one and the same as that Truth by virtue of which he became the Buddha, and anyone who sees that Truth can be said to have seen the true Buddha. To see just his physical body would not be to see the Buddha at all and would bring no real benefit.

Source : http://www.buddhadasa.com/naturaltruth/twolanguage1.html

_/\_
Old 08-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Pamuya

I do not mind reading quotes, but since we all have computers we can google these quotes, would really like to hear your personal thoughts on the matter, how you have come to terms with it. There is no right or wrong, we are taught to take in what makes sense to us and throw out what does not. In your opinion where do you go once you are enlightened or become a Buddha? Is there a heaven like place or is you energy absobed into the universe? We all come from different teachings, what do you believe?
Old 08-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Mind's Eye

Pali Canon Sutta MN63)

... remember what is undeclared by me as undeclared, and what is declared by me as declared. And what is undeclared by me? 'The cosmos is eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is not eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is finite'... 'The cosmos is infinite'... 'The soul & the body are the same'... 'The soul is one thing and the body another'... 'After death a Tathagata exists'... 'After death a Tathagata does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata both exists & does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist,' is undeclared by me.

"And why are they undeclared by me? Because they are not connected with the goal, are not fundamental to the holy life. They do not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are undeclared by me.

"And what is declared by me? 'This is stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the origination of stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the cessation of stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress,' is declared by me. And why are they declared by me? Because they are connected with the goal, are fundamental to the holy life. They lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are declared by me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The truth is, Buddha never really spoke on the subject of heaven, God and the afterlife. To some, he said "Yes, there is a God and an afterlife." To others he said, there is not! He later told his followers that he did not contradict himself, but rather he spoke to each person according to what they believed the truth to be. Buddha even said that no one should believe what he said unless it resonated with his/her own common sense.

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”

Gautama Buddha

Therefore, Buddha left the bigger questions up to the individual. And there is no right or wrong answer as to where Buddha is right now. The more atheistic Buddhist will say, Buddha is gone, no more, non-existent. The more spiritual or mystical Buddhist will say that he still exists somewhere or is all around us in all things. The Buddhist who gives you a concrete, black and white "answer" to the question you pose is merely giving you their belief, on the said topic.... it does not make it so or true.

I have studied Buddhism for over a year now, I find much light and truth in it. I also find much spiritual food for thought in the teachings of the Buddha. I for one, based on what I have read and my own life experience and studies... do not agree with those who constantly present Buddhism as an Atheistic philosophy. It can be an Atheistic philosophy for them, but for others it may not be.... Both are equal and true paths for the seeker of enlightenment.

So, in my opinion and based on what I believe and the information I have gained in life that appeals to my personal common sense... I believe The Buddha is an ascended master, still doing important spiritual work in our world today. Even if that work is sitting outside our space time bubble and holding us in the light through eternal meditation.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:30 AM
Pamuya

Thank you Minds Eye, very wise for someone who has only been studing for a year. Still working on my perspective.